Off Topic - Been Awhile Since I Have Posted Here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Off Topic - Been Awhile Since I Have Posted Here

Post by JimT »

It's been awhile since I posted. I sneaked in and lurked a couple times .. but I did not post as thimgs were getting a little strange here ...

Back in August things began heating up here in Mozambique. The National Election for President was coming up in October and some officials seemed to be nervous about a lot of foreignor's in their country. Visa renewals were suddenly difficult. Missionaries and other workers were being asked to leave the country and all of sudden everything was very uncertain. For awhile it looked like Twyla and I were going to have to leave as our Residency Visa's were due to be renewed in September and the departments that oversee such things were saying they were not going to renew any more visas.

We began making plans as to what we should do .. and it was a difficult time. Then some Mozambican friends came to us and asked to "please" not leave. They gave us some advice about submitting our documents and I found out later, they wrote some supporting documents. Anyway, the short story is that 3 days after submitting our paperwork we were approved!! God has the last word!

We had discussed flying to the States during that time and after everything worked out we decided we should make an unscheduled trip to the US. We did not let our kids know we were coming and with the help of a friend we were able to surprise them. That was fun. We spent 6 weeks in the States ... 3 in Oklahoma and 3 in Texas. It was good that we came because I was able to renew my US driver's license while we were in Texas.

We then flew to the UK and spent a week with friends in Cambridge. We had never seen the UK before other than Heathrow Airport which gives you no clue as to what the country is like. The drive from Heathrow to Cambridge was about 50 miles and we saw some nice country. That part of England is much like Missouri .. low rolling hills, lots of farms, plenty of trees. Where we stayed was rural and we felt very "at home". (Though we did need a translator for some words. English and American can be quite different).

We spent one day in London .. saw some of the sights .. visited a pub and had an ale ... nearly froze to death cuz we had no heavy clothes ...rode the tube in and out of London and had a good time. We went by Buckingham Palace to have tea with the Queen but she had an important visitor from Singapore and could not take take for a couple former colonists. ~sigh~

So anyway we are back in Mozambique and enjoying the warm weather. I am SO happy not to do winter. Sixty Four years of them has been enough for me. Those of you who enjoy winter, please have a good time. The only thing I miss is the deer hunting in the Fall. Once of these years I will schedule a trip home just so I can go hunting.

Thanks for praying for us. We appreciate those who take time to remember us.

Jim & Twyla

We were someplace where there was a big clock. It was cold.

The guy with the bayonet fixed was not talkative.

I was looking for Dr. Who. Locals told me it was the wrong color.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Off Topic - Been Awhile Since I Have Posted Here

Post by JimT »

A couple more photos. This was at #10 Downing Street. They looked very serious. I wanted a closer look at the subgun but Twyla felt we should not trouble them. It was probably wise.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I would love to visit rural England myself -- but glad you are back in some warmer weather --- Oklahoma City turned pretty nasty over the weekend (nasty for OK/TX that is )
----- Doug
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Those chaps don't appear to be overly friendly. :wink:

Sounds like a grand trip, and we're glad you were able to continue your mission over there.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's good that things seem to work out with Papa in charge....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad you had a safe and memorable trip!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Having seen and spoken to them at close range, they're Metro cops with MP5A3's or A5's, usually set on semi.

MOD cops guarding the Queen at Windsor have the same setup. Usually with no spare mags visible.

The infantrymen are carrying SA80A2's, which apparently (finally) work reliably. It only took 30 years.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Nice pictures, thanks for posting. Glad you were able to get away for a while. Those checkered hats they wear always remind me of taxicab driver hats for some odd reason (maybe the old checker cabs?)
Continued blessing to you and your family:)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

God bless you and keep us posted on your mission.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote: Sounds like a grand trip, and we're glad you were able to continue your mission over there.
+1 Jim! :D
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Jim,
Nice to see that you had a wonderful journey. Neat pics! :D
Thank you for sharing.

Did you get a chance to visit PACO when you were stateside?

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice pics Jimbo!!!----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Paco and I spent time on the phone but I did not get to Arizona this trip.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

prayers sent...much blessings... :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good to hear and see you JT.
You both look well.

Take care our old friend.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Jim, I always enjoy your posts. Can you post a picture of you coming out of that phone booth in you super hero outfit ? I bet you look good in a cape and tights.