Things I learned at the range today....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Things I learned at the range today....

Post by w30wcf »

aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Things I learned at the range today....

Post by TedH »

I can't decide if that's comical, sad, or scary. :?
NRA Life Member
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

TedH wrote:I can't decide if that's comical, sad, or scary. :?
I vote all of the above.

These stories are legion, esp. at this time of year. But we can see the same sort of BS anywhere on the net - in fact it is worse.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I would have brought up the grassy knoll to give them something else to talk about
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I humped the pig back in the day. The only way an M60 is 60 caliber is if you add two shots together as one. We had some Unexploded Rounds in my outfit who couldn't get it through their heads that designation for the model and type of firearm was not the caliber. Some of them insisted on calling an M2 an M50 because it was a 50 caliber.

I have seen some idiots at the range, but I have also met some great people there. One shooter at Alpine Range in Fort Worth, TX, was shooting a Freedom Arms .22lr caliber revolver and had figured out that 1 chamber shot to the right of the other chambers. He and I discussed which type of .22lr that he got the best accuracy with, and which kinds worked almost as well. He was a much better shot than I am, and he was very knowledgeable. That Freedom Arms revolver is a beautiful gun.

Then, there was the time I was there and 3 young guys were shooting a .44 Magnum on the 25 yard line. That is the correct firing line, but they would fire one shot and look around to see if anyone was noticing them. They acted as if they thought they were something great. I was shooting a .45 ACP Rock Island Armory pistol, and having fun. After a while, their antics started driving off the people who where shooting .22lr and 9mm. I dug out my Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger and fired 6 rounds downrange, then put it away. The 3 young guys came over and started watching me at the third round. I put all 6 shots into the 10 ring. They had not had any round in the 10 ring after a full box. I put it away after 6 shots and went back to the .45 and they went over to their station and started actually trying to hit the target instead of trying to get attention. The other people out there showed noticeable relief that the young guys were not acting stupid anymore.

Usually, I run into some good people at that range. I have seen everything from .17 to .458 Win Mag at that range, and usually see people who are trying to hit the bullseye rather than trying to toss some bull. I would recommend that range to anyone who lives near Mansfield, Waxahachie, Midlothian, Grand Prairie, or Ft. Worth. It is an outdoor range, so the hot weather tends to stop some of the idiocy, at least in the Summer.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, it can be illuminating.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Shooting ranges and boat launch ramps.At times,especially full moon,I swear these same people their guns for boats.Same cartoon show except a range is more dangerous with the walk amongst us and they vote people.Watch a guy with a 30k rig let his 3 year old hold the rope,a piece of washline,while he let her fly/slide off the trailer.Rope burns kids hand he lets go and dad wups his but cause the boat is halfway down the river heading to the dam
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My favorite first-person story is when my buddy and I were shooting at the Ft Lewis Range, and I was shooting at stuff with my Ruger MKII Target. The next bench over were shooting at bowling pins at 100 yards with their scoped deer rifles, and could not hit them. I took three shots with my MKII and hit two pins....they cussed me out and left. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

should have brought up the possibly of alien-human hybrids occupying the US Senate, Congress, or the Ranger Master...YIKES... :O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I still remember the "goober" that was shooting a M94 lever. He made a square out of duct tape on a large paper plate. 3 shots later and I was talking to him while walking down to check targets. Those 3 shots went in 1-1/4" or so. He was sighting it in for an older friend. Found out it was a 32 Win Special. I try not to judge people at 1st glance after that. Have seen alot of goofy stuff at range. Like a guy shooting 240 and 300gr 44mag loads. He couldnt understand why they wouldnt shoot to the same POI
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!