Elk Camp----2014 (Picture Heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Elk Camp----2014 (Picture Heavy)

Post by Sixgun »

Well guys, its been a few years since I played in the Rockies, but, for sure, I'm back on the roll. I flew into Colorado on the 15th and back to the eastern garbage pit on the 24th. My blood pressure dropped 30 points but I'm sure to be at high aggravation in just a few short days.

Yes, it was a blast, as I do believe in living life to the fullest, despite living the financial life of a peon. It was constant laughter and 100% honest camaraderie with the boys. As my son and I arrived in our usual spot in Buffalo Park, Colorado, we were unexpectedly greeted by fellow hunters from our past, the mighty and great Cal Doner, a doctor by profession, his pals Terry, Efram, Steve, and Larry, all retired professionals. (Efram, an Air Force Academy graduate was on the original "think tank" who designed the GPS system) I felt a little retarded in such a highly respected group. While my son, John, and I were well stocked with supplies, Cal and his boys demanded we camp next to them and have dinner with them every night. I explained that there was nothing I could contribute in the way of professional conversation, Cal reminded me that I was the "gun guy" and they were all sure to pick my little brain, which they did. My son, a 20 year engineer with the Union Pacific Railroad was with those guys in the professional department, with me, being a lowly forklift driver struggled to hold my own.

Cal's three sons dropped in on Sunday (all professionals, with one son, Jeff being an orthopedic surgeon) After hunting for the day my son broke out his Sig 1911, complete with silencer, the group ripped off a box of factory W-W 230 grain ball, with very little sound. :D

Yea, I broke my 20 year "near" absence of drinking and had a few Samuel Adams Octoberfests and a few shots of bourbon. :D I'm still alive.

Elevation at base camp was 9300, climbing to near 10,000 feet. Weather was HOT. Mornings were 20 degrees and quickly climbed to 60. Not much game was moving. I only saw 2 mule deer, a blue grouse, a mess of chipmunks, a few squirrels and some dead elk that some boys from Nebraska dug out out of the deep black pines with their horses. These guys usually limit out but this time only got 5 bulls out of 20 guys.

Yea, At 60, I still got it......walked an average of 5 miles per day, (by GPS) heart thumping, sweating. but........no issues as to getting tired. You just have to learn to pace yourself. Having good Italian genes and coming from a family of hard working people helps a bit too. :D ----6

Getting ready to leave Denver....nice clean Jeep!

Several days later.....muddy Jeep.....our tent.

Efram shooting my son's Sig 45 auto with can.

The horses of the boys from Nebraska

Cal's CJ7...this baby has had it's motor replaced with a 302 V8 Ford and about $30,000 worth of other mods.

Our tent at night.

Camp life..Johnny, Terry, Cal, Lexy, and Savanna.

Breckenridge bourbon.......smooooooooooooottttthhhhhhh. :D

Campfire life.....Cal about threw up when I heavily chugged his $200 bottle of tequila. :D

Johnny, Cal, and one of about 6 camp dogs.

You guys will have to trust me on this....there is only ONE Cal Doner....one of the finest men I have ever had the honor of knowing

Cal and his three sons......all professionals. Jeff, to the right is an orthopedic surgeon.

On the trail...tools of the trade...Colt SAA 38-40, GPS, Skoal, energy drink, and hat.

My great and loyal son, John with his Ruger AR in .308

Elk country....a nice place to be.

Me, the retart, with an 1886 in 45-90, binoculars, and a single action Colt in an outside "Doc Holiday" shoulder holster.

Our messy tent. Even though we have a wood stove, because of the higher than normal temps, we only used this Home Depot propane heater....with ventilation!

My son Johnny....in the morning :D , showing off his Italian attributes. (it was really a roll of toilet paper) :D --------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: Elk Camp----2014 (Picture Heavy)

Post by plowboy 45 »

Dadgone y'all had one heck of a good time looks like!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Some MDs like a great time was had by all. Good on ya
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rjohns94 wrote:Sounds like a great time was had by all. Good on ya
Fixed that for ya! +1! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Awesome! Hunting camp is always a great time. Gun knowledge is a trump card that can amaze anybody no matter the profession. Plus they are not there to talk shop , they there to talk elk and guns. It 's the same when I tell people I can drive a Zamboni , it trumps whatever the conversation is.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Good times! Where is the white stuff?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Enjoyed the report and photos!! Of all the men there, I would say you had the best firearms. Pretty hard to top an original Colt SAA and an original '86.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks for posting the pics Six. Glad you made it back safe.

I ain't nothin' but jealous! Looks like a great time in beautiful country with the best kind of people.

Thats what life if for right there.

OW
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

6 -- nice pics and update...glad you had a GREAT time...like your choice of hunting irons... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the contrast between the Colt and the GPS...

...which one do you think is more likely to still work in 100 years...or even ten years...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:I like the contrast between the Colt and the GPS...

...which one do you think is more likely to still work in 100 years...or even ten years...?
Doc,
You hit a nerve with that one. In the last ten years, I have gone through 3 desktops, 3 digital cameras, 2 laptops and other electronic junk. Got to be at least 5 g's in that junk.

The Colt? I've had it for 20 years and it's worth about 3 times what I paid for it......and it still works.----6

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

six,
Thank you for sharing your adventure and neat pics......BUT where are the pics of the Elk? :D

As it turns out you could have saved some money and stayed in PA where I saw these two during the same time you were frolicking around out west! :D

Of course, it would not have been legal to harvest them.......

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, well Mr. 44-40 historian......you got me on that one. No clue and to honest, I did not care to drag a horse sized creature 2 miles. Just being in the great outdoors was good enough for me.

Hey....how did the jubilee go?????------6

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Glad you had a grand time!
I managed to get through our short deer season with out seeing a buck but seen other
fine critters

ollogger
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

We used a propane buddy heater to heat our sleeping tent at moose camp. It's nice to wake up at 5:30 in the am warm and dry. It looks like someone cut the grass in your pictures. Here in Alaska if it isn't covered in swampy muskeg or rock or swamp it's 5' high and hard to get through.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Great pics, Six. Wish I could have been there! Now, don't forget Hamburg on Saturday!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like a fine place to be. 8)
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:Great pics, Six. Wish I could have been there! Now, don't forget Hamburg on Saturday!

THIS Saturday??????? Oh Lordy, where would I be without my good friend Reds keeping me posted!!!! Thanks bud!----6

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Six gun wrote:"Campfire life.....Cal about threw up when I heavily chugged his $200 bottle of tequila". :lol: . Gol Durn it Six, not only were You living Large, but having a snort or two...all required in a decent camp.Thank For the post and pic's. Jim.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Mr. .45 Colt. Hey! That was for real. I'm not the drinker I used to be so I just chugged that baby on down.....catching up on 20 years of being a nerd. I can still taste it.....so.....smooth......at the other guys cost :D -----6

Dusty Ed
Levergunner

Post by Dusty Ed »

HOWDY SIXGUN
Great picture show .
I too was a wondering if we would see you at Hamburg Saturday.
We will be meeting and eating at the diner 8:30.
That picture of you reminded of me of me 20yrs ago. :wink:
Take care, hope to see this Saturday

Dusty Ed
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Holey smoly .....it's the one and only Dusty Ed...........yea, my man....I'll see you boys on Saturday at the Hamburg gunclub.....but.....you better be ready as I got a new shooting iron......it's the old 1881 30" buffalo barreled ...with.....a. 36" scope. I know it won't count but I'm gonna shoot it anyway....------Sixgun....

Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

That looks like some good times there six.
I cant wait for elk season here in Oregon. The pics are good enough to get my blood boiling.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Nice Marlin, Six!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun wrote:Well, well Mr. 44-40 historian......you got me on that one. No clue and to honest, I did not care to drag a horse sized creature 2 miles. Just being in the great outdoors was good enough for me.

Hey....how did the jubilee go?????------6
Six,
Yep, the great outdoors...amen to that! :D
Jubilee went very well. Weather was beautiful an there were about 15 Jubileer's. :D
A great time was had by all. Hopefully you will be able to make it one of these years.

A fellow brought an older .32-40 Winchester with about 100 rounds of handloads. He was shooting from the bench to get some sight settings on the 500 meter course. I was spotting for him. After he fired about 5 rounds, I noticed that his fired cases had become a bit "pregnant".

I said "Lou, you must be pulling that trigger too hard 'cause your cases have swelled a bit". He was a bit shocked :shock: to say the least.

SO.....it looks like sometime in that rifle's life, the then owner had a gunsmith run a .32 Special reamer into the chamber to make it a .32-40 "improved"....like a .32 W.S. but with a longer neck.

I thought that was pretty neat but he was not too happy about it since he had paid good money for the rifle and expected to be as original. Needless to say, he saved the rest of his ammunition until he can get it fixed.

He has since found a gunsmith that will sleeve the chamber back to it's original specifications.

Great looking vintage Marlin! Don't get too close to the end of the scope. :o

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian