Real quick primer question - reloading goof

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Real quick primer question - reloading goof

Post by jdad »

I just finished loading some 357 mags, but realized I used WSP instead of WSPM primers. They're not hot loads (under 1400fps 125gr XTP) and I'm using VV N110.

Am I going to be having any safety issues shooting these?

Thanks
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Real quick primer question - reloading goof

Post by OldWin »

You should be good to go. I never use magnum primers. If anything, magnum primers will raise the preassure level over standard primers. In some instances they are a help but I think your .357 is fine without them.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OldWin wrote:You should be good to go. I never use magnum primers. If anything, magnum primers will raise the preassure level over standard primers. In some instances they are a help but I think your .357 is fine without them.

+1 - You're safe, David !

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Thank you! Off to the range.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Small pistol make the least flame, rifle and magnum make more.

Cat
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think you are safe. You may have delayed ignition in very cold temps. Give them a try.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had a dozen "correct" loads, with WSPM primers that I shot along side the WSP primered ones. The non-magnum primer loads were definitely not as accurate and they did not sound uniform. You could "hear" the inconsistency in every full cylinder.

Lesson learned. :wink:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've never used the N110 but with H110 I had a couple of "failures to ignite" which left the bullet far enough into the bore to allow me to touch off another round had I not realized something was badly wrong. Since then I never use these ball powders without the magnum primer. And a friend of mine had very regular "failures to ignite" using IMR4227 in his 357 using standard primers. I'd never heard of that one but it's good to know about. His was a light load (38 Spcl velocities), which may also have been a big contributor.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

earlmck wrote:I've never used the N110 but with H110 I had a couple of "failures to ignite" which left the bullet far enough into the bore to allow me to touch off another round had I not realized something was badly wrong. Since then I never use these ball powders without the magnum primer. And a friend of mine had very regular "failures to ignite" using IMR4227 in his 357 using standard primers. I'd never heard of that one but it's good to know about. His was a light load (38 Spcl velocities), which may also have been a big contributor.
Hmmm....I've been thinking of using H110 or IMR4227 to load some HV.32-20 rounds. A small case like that shouldn't have that issue, should it?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

vancelw wrote:
earlmck wrote:I've never used the N110 but with H110 I had a couple of "failures to ignite" which left the bullet far enough into the bore to allow me to touch off another round had I not realized something was badly wrong. Since then I never use these ball powders without the magnum primer. And a friend of mine had very regular "failures to ignite" using IMR4227 in his 357 using standard primers. I'd never heard of that one but it's good to know about. His was a light load (38 Spcl velocities), which may also have been a big contributor.
Hmmm....I've been thinking of using H110 or IMR4227 to load some HV.32-20 rounds. A small case like that shouldn't have that issue, should it?
Well.... probably that is so. But I've still always used either the small rifle primer or the small pistol magnum primer (I believe these to be essentially the same primer in a given brand) when using H110 or Lil' Gun for 32/20 (or 25/20 or 218 Bee) HV loads. Those "failures to ignite" I experienced using standard pistol primers kinda' spooked me if you want to know the truth.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I've been told that magnum primers are good for light loads, not just to avoid the failure to ignite, but also to provide more complete and consistent ignition.

A friend of mine loads 45-70 relatively light, so that there is an air space in the case. The loads are very accurate, but of inconsistent speed. A gunsmith suggested magnum primers for folks that are reluctant to add cream of wheat.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

earlmck wrote:And a friend of mine had very regular "failures to ignite" using IMR4227 in his 357 using standard primers. I'd never heard of that one but it's good to know about. His was a light load (38 Spcl velocities), which may also have been a big contributor.
Many competitors using 4227 use pistol primers for best accuracy and NEVER get a failure. I don't know what your friend's problem is, but it's not the primer.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I wouldn't expect you would have any issues at all. However, the data I had when I loaded N110 actually called for small rifle primers with that powder, and I'm 99% sure it was data from Vihtavuori. That powder is the cat's meow for 158 gr. 357 loads btw.
NRA Life Member