I have two itches that won't go away !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

I have two itches that won't go away !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Seems I have two gun related itches that seem to keep cropping up . The first is to get a Stag Arms Model 7 in 6.8 SPC . I've been debating that one in my head for three or four years now . The other is a little more recent and kinda against my cartridge preference , that is to get a Savage Hog Hunter or Remington 700 Tactical in 308 WIN and attach a suporessor . In the past I've debated both things about a month or so and the desire goes away . This time I just might give in to one or both I need something different to get the zest back !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: I have two itches that won't go away !

Post by AJMD429 »

Just shot a friend's Ruger Scout Rifle in 308, and as a suppressor-owner, was sorely tempted to put my can on the already-threaded muzzle, but my suppressor isn't rated for full-power 308, only subsonic, and I didn't want to risk damaging it.

It would be a NICE setup, though... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been using my friends Remington 700 Tactical 308 it's the same one I worked up loads for two years ago . His suporessor is rated for full house stuff and he uses it on this rifle and a 223 just like it . All three if the folks I did load work for wanted to use Outlaw State bullets as they are supposed to be subsonic friendly . I haven't proven it to myself yet . I have brained a couple but I'm still resisting lung shots .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If I was going to have a sub sonic hog rifle I would go for either a Ruger .357/77 or a 44/77 for the bigger bore.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:If I was going to have a sub sonic hog rifle I would go for either a Ruger .357/77 or a 44/77 for the bigger bore.
I've seen and handled/shot integrally-suppressed 77/44's, and seen intriguing pictures of rugers levergun 96/44's that were set up integrally suppressed... both are sweet...!

http://fullysuppressed.com/ruger7744.html

A relatively easy project would be getting either a Handi-Rifle or Encore barrel in 45-70, and having it threaded; that would allow for l-o-n-g bullets and still leave plenty of room for powder.

Anyway, back to the OP, nothing shabby about a suppressed 308; you still have versatility to go full-velocity whenever you want.

I can attest to the fun of lobbing 208 and 220 grain bullets out at about 1050 fps, since that's what my 300 Blk Encore and AR's shoot - those bullets may be quiet, but they're nothing I'd want to get hit with...! The difference is that in the 300 Blk, although I can go 'supersonic', I have to drop to 160 grains or less, and to really sizzle (2200 fps) I have to drop to 125 grains. In a 308 like the OP proposes, you could still do all that with the heavy bullets.

All these combinations and options and choices to make . . . . Ain't Gunz Fun . . . 8)

Here's a nice "16 best guns for hog hunting" piece from Outdoor Life - http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... -handguns/

Then I found THIS guy's post - looks like he has bunches of dollars and a liking for 'hog guns', eh...???
http://hogwildhunts.wordpress.com/2009/ ... uppressed/
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I don't want a gun that doesn't come factory threaded . Also dealer cost of a can fir a 357 or 44 is a good but more then one for a 30 cal .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote:If I was going to have a sub sonic hog rifle I would go for either a Ruger .357/77 or a 44/77 for the bigger bore.
I don't want it for piggies .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:Also dealer cost of a can for a 357 or 44 is a good bit more then one for a 30 cal .
That's for sure - it's why I went with three 'cans' that included:

a) integral Operative one for the 96/22 - it is SUPER quiet, and a lever (or bolt or single) action 22 LR is the perfect platform for true 'quiet'.

b) sealed Trek one in 223 for AR's etc - sealed=more compact and strong for given size, and can be used for other 22's (i.e. 22 LR, Hornet, 22 WMR) and 17's if desired.

c) the Mystic take-apart one in 357 - take-apart so exposed-lead (levergun, rimfire) bullets are not going to create a difficult cleaning situation, and 357 caliber can be used for 35 Remington on down, including subsonic 308's.

If I were only going to have one, it would be the Mystic, because it wasn't all that pricey (vs. a 'true' 308 can that handles supersonics), and although I'd really love the same kind of can, but large enough to handle 45 Colt. However like you say - you get much above 35 caliber, and the prices skyrocket (along with the bulk/size).

When I get the funds (hopefully, anyway) I'd be interested in a 22LR-only tiny can for handguns like the Beretta 21, but a supersonic-capable 308 one would be on the list as well.

IMHO I think that ALL firearms should come with threaded muzzles, so you can either just leave on a nondescript 'thread protector', or put on a REAL 'muzzle protector' such as a birdcage flash suppressor, or if you want, some REAL 'hearing protection' like a sound suppressor.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Also dealer cost of a can for a 357 or 44 is a good bit more then one for a 30 cal .
That's for sure - it's why I went with three 'cans' that included:

a) integral Operative one for the 96/22 - it is SUPER quiet, and a lever (or bolt or single) action 22 LR is the perfect platform for true 'quiet'.

b) sealed Trek one in 223 for AR's etc - sealed=more compact and strong for given size, and can be used for other 22's (i.e. 22 LR, Hornet, 22 WMR) and 17's if desired.

c) the Mystic take-apart one in 357 - take-apart so exposed-lead (levergun, rimfire) bullets are not going to create a difficult cleaning situation, and 357 caliber can be used for 35 Remington on down, including subsonic 308's.

If I were only going to have one, it would be the Mystic, because it wasn't all that pricey (vs. a 'true' 308 can that handles supersonics), and although I'd really love the same kind of can, but large enough to handle 45 Colt. However like you say - you get much above 35 caliber, and the prices skyrocket (along with the bulk/size).

When I get the funds (hopefully, anyway) I'd be interested in a 22LR-only tiny can for handguns like the Beretta 21, but a supersonic-capable 308 one would be on the list as well.

IMHO I think that ALL firearms should come with threaded muzzles, so you can either just leave on a nondescript 'thread protector', or put on a REAL 'muzzle protector' such as a birdcage flash suppressor, or if you want, some REAL 'hearing protection' like a sound suppressor.
Savage makes the Hog Hunter model in 338 Win Mag , I had visions of one of those until I looked at the can cost !

I think our cost for a 30 cal can is about $450 while a 338 can dealer cost was about $1000 .

As far as "all" being threaded I don't want that . After all a fine Mannlicher Schoenauer stutzen wouldn't look so hot with a can hanging off the front . Or a lovely Ruger #1 custom rifle or a Pre 64 Model 70 or a etc etc etc . The not so elegant tactical stuff I can see all being threaded , but not the shall we say elegant or refined guns of deep blued steel and finely figured walnut .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:As far as "all" being threaded I don't want that . After all a fine Mannlicher Schoenauer stutzen wouldn't look so hot with a can hanging off the front . Or a lovely Ruger #1 custom rifle or a Pre 64 Model 70 or a etc etc etc . The not so elegant tactical stuff I can see all being threaded , but not the shall we say elegant or refined guns of deep blued steel and finely figured walnut .
OK you win - - - "all" is a relative term, isn't it. . . :lol:

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6 Point,

Forget the itches. You can buy Bushmaster AR-15's for $500 with a $50 rebate. I'm thinking of buying a dozen of em and holding on to them for awhile.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:6 Point,

Forget the itches. You can buy Bushmaster AR-15's for $500 with a $50 rebate. I'm thinking of buying a dozen of em and holding on to them for awhile.------6
Yes we can get Bushmaster factory direct . But I've messed with a couple of the Stag Model 7's and I like them , which unto itself is a lot for me to admit . I'm not exactly an AR kinda person . The AR platform with the 6.8 upper however does intrest me from a deer shooting angle .
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Here's my recent Savage build in .308 based on a 10 P-SR rifle, which comes with a 5R bull barrel, threaded, Accutrigger, and bottom drop mags.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=58321

I looked at the hog hunter and decided to go this route. HH is nice in that it has iron sights. Both that and the Ruger are nice rifles.

If you are looking at the Rem 700, consider a Savage as well. While the Remmy (generally) has more options (and more readily available) for customization, you can often get more out of the box with a Savage for a lesser investment.

Good luck in your search!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

6pt-sika wrote:

Yes we can get Bushmaster factory direct . But I've messed with a couple of the Stag Model 7's and I like them , which unto itself is a lot for me to admit . I'm not exactly an AR kinda person . The AR platform with the 6.8 upper however does intrest me from a deer shooting angle .
Have you considered a 6.5 Grendel?

Stags are usually nicer than Bushmasters. There are certain issued we encounter with most Bushmasters, like mag well dimensions.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

7.62 Precision wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Have you considered a 6.5 Grendel?

Stags are usually nicer than Bushmasters. There are certain issued we encounter with most Bushmasters, like mag well dimensions.
Yes but I'm kinda anal about loosing brass . With the Grendl I would be even more do then with the less expensive and more readily available 6.8 brass .