Who knows about Charleston, SC?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Who knows about Charleston, SC?

Post by Rusty »

My wife is wanting to spend a few days there looking around. I've never been. What would be of interest to her? In other words, none of the stuff from the War of Northern Aggression.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who knows about Charleston, SC?

Post by rjohns94 »

Beaches, the battery, downtown historical district. Charleston is a historical town the preceeds the war of northern aggression. Family lived there two years while I was deployed off and on. Beautiful place
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Charleston has tons of interesting architecture (buildings), including the old slave market, a museum or two, an aquarium, plantations/gardens - and even a old submarine or two (The Hunley & USS Clamagore).

IIRC, PBS' This Old House TV show reworked/restored one or two of the houses there.

41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Go to the market and get some Pralines
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

We were just there in July to celebrate our 40th, the Charleston Museum right across from the tourism bureau is fantastic. That's where the Hunley replica is.The other thing I would highly recommend is the Boone's Hall tour. It's a working plantation that still has original slave shanties (brick! They supplied a lot of the brick for Ft Sumpter). We signed up for it at the tourism bureau and got transportation and lunch at the Boone Hall cafe and produce store, but you can just drive out there if you prefer.

There are free trolleys to take you anywhere in old town if you don't want to walk, but truthfully we enjoyed the walking.

Post by Rusty »

Thanks guys for the start. I was looking online and saw they had a sub there. Years ago we had one in Tampa, the USS Requiem. That's when I found out just how claustrophobic my wife is. She almost belted a guy that told her she had to go all the way thru after entering the rear hatch. She went down the ladder,turned around and saw that narrow passage way then went right back up. The poor guy tried telling her the exit was at the other end. I still get a chuckle out of it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The battery, "Rainbow Row", the historic district, carriage tours - lots of stuff to see that she'll enjoy, even if she doesn't want to touch on the war. Now, it is impossible to avoid the subject altogether - it is part of the fabric of the city. But as noted, the city predates the war by quite a bit, and there are lots of interesting things to see - in a very beautiful setting.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

dittos on what they said.....
we went to the Magnolia Plantation....pretty neat place!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS