Wyoming Elk Hunt (pic heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Wyoming Elk Hunt (pic heavy)

Post by jkbrea »

Just returned from my elk hunt. This makes, I believe, 21 years in a row. All with my younger brother, who actually got me into elk hunting. We both had tags as well as his FIL. The weather was unusually warm and rained the first 5 days straight. We scored on a small 2-3 year old bull. It was a cross canyon shot about 350 yards. My brother dressed it out and we came back in the morning to get it out. It had rained all night and getting to it was exhausting. The hillside was muddy and slippery. getting it down was easy though. Tied a rope and pulled it down. Gravity and wet grass did the rest. Then we halved it, put both halves on a game cart and carted it a couple miles to the truck. A couple days later his FIL shot a cow and we carted that out whole but the trail was very nice and much closer to the truck. Here are a few pics of the area we hunt in the Jackson Hole area. Just missed hooking up with a fellow levergunner, Les Staley, who sold me my first Colt SAA. I was actually in the same store with him as he was dropping of meat to process, but didn't realize it was him till later.

And I get to go back to fill one more tag in Dec!

Ran into this couple while packinng out our 1st elk.
This hoist worked great for skinning.
And some of our fishing spots.

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Wyoming Elk Hunt (pic heavy)

Post by Meeteetse »

You won't have to worry about it being too warm and rainy when you come back in Dec. :D Country looks a little like where I used to hunt north of Pinedale. Sure do miss my hunting days in Wyoming.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Jim, glad you guys had fun..love the pic of the full freezer. I connected with a fat thre point mulie and a dry antelope doe on two consecutive days and was dropping off the meat to be made into Italian, brats and breakfast sausage..(hopefully my last Wyoming resident tags, as hunting as a nonres in Idaho is KILLING my wallet)..just bought my Idaho deer tag. ($301.75). And I bitch about "ain't no deer worth $300 but if I hadn't been such a cheapskate last fall and kicked in a dollar for the big buck contest at the St Joe Sport Stop, I woulda won a new rifle.. A 134 inch buck took the prize, and I killed a 154 inch whitetail! Such is life.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great field report. Great photos 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:Great field report. Great photos 8)

N.
+ 1..... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome!! Thanks For the pictures. :mrgreen: .
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.
NRA Life Member
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Meeteetse wrote:You won't have to worry about it being too warm and rainy when you come back in Dec. :D Country looks a little like where I used to hunt north of Pinedale. Sure do miss my hunting days in Wyoming.
I went last year and it was hitting in the -20's. Too cold for me but it did warm to about -5 and that was actually comfortable as long as I kept moving. I can't get enough of the fall though. I like hunting when its in the 40's range and cloudy. Just wish I could take better pics. This area is west of Jackson, south of Yellowstone. Actually south of the pass leading to Driggs, Idaho.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

jkbrea wrote:
Meeteetse wrote:You won't have to worry about it being too warm and rainy when you come back in Dec. :D Country looks a little like where I used to hunt north of Pinedale. Sure do miss my hunting days in Wyoming.
I went last year and it was hitting in the -20's. Too cold for me but it did warm to about -5 and that was actually comfortable as long as I kept moving. I can't get enough of the fall though. I like hunting when its in the 40's range and cloudy. Just wish I could take better pics. This area is west of Jackson, south of Yellowstone. Actually south of the pass leading to Driggs, Idaho.
Pic's are great, don't worry about that. I know where you were although I've never hunted in that area. We always hunted SE of Jackson or the Big Horn range west of Buffalo. Thanks for sharing.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.