Reloading safety - Why one should clean brass!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Reloading safety - Why one should clean brass!

Post by JohndeFresno »

With the continued shortage of ammunition, despite some rays of light here and there, I see that more people are looking to rolling their own. The most important thing to remember is, of course, safety. Some folks have maintained that they are not keen on cleaning their brass before reloading.

I see one significant benefit, above all others, to the practice: Finding flaws that might otherwise appear to be smudge, carbon or the like.

I archive many of the excellent threads here, printing them into pdf files for later reference. One such topic that I reviewed this morning is referred below. We all have mishaps and can learn from fellow levergunners.

So, with apologies to Tycer for republishing this excellent thread, here is:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 3&p=630728

Note Terry Murbach's entry, among others.

Then, if I may: Having cleaned the brass, it is also easier to spot the stretch bands at the base of a cartridge that might warn of separation. The paper clip trick is worth mentioning again.

Cases will separate at the head after several loads - especially high end loads and more especially rifle loads. You can frequently spot pending and very dangerous case separation by noting a shiny band at the base, but the risky condition is also checked, before you use the brass again, by stretching out a paper clip and bending the end into a short based "L."

Running it inside the casing, let its small 'L' shaped tip drag up from the bottom. If there is a "catch," that would indicate a thin spot in the casing. Double check it, and toss the component if there is indeed a thin spot by the base of the shell.

I know that this is "Reloading 101" for most readers here, but then again this is the site where I learned most of my beginner's tricks, and am still picking up good info, for which I am grateful. Paying it forward.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Reloading safety - Why one should clean brass!

Post by AJMD429 »

Ask your dentist for an old dental pick; they are perfect for testing the inside of rifle cases.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

AJMD429 wrote:Ask your dentist for an old dental pick; they are perfect for testing the inside of rifle cases.
:idea: :!:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good reminder.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Well, not to take anything away from JohndeFresno's post, but I reloaded successfully for 12 years before I got a tumbler. Nope, I didn't wear out or damage any dies, and yep I could spot all defects (along with the paper clip inspection, but 95% of my reloads were .38/357 and .44 Spec/Mag.). I inspect every case I reload and I kept a mineral spirits dampened rag in my hand. As I looked at each case I wiped it with the rag to remove any dirt, grit or grease. I tumble a lot of my brass now, for cosmetic reasons, but the only cases I care to have a shiny, virgin looking appearance is my 30-06 Garand and my 45 ACP ammo. They are easier to spot after being flung hither and yon...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

mikld wrote:... I inspect every case I reload and I kept a mineral spirits dampened rag in my hand...
Also good; it sounds like your brass is cleaned up enough to spot problems! Me, I'm a tad lazy and/or a bit limited for time, so I like the tumbler or sonic cleaner to do most of that less interesting chore while I do other things.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like to reload,it`s fun. Why would I not have nice looking shiny brass?
If I was just reloading to have some blasting ammo I might go the half-arsed rout but since I am retired I think I can find the time to do it right. :D :D :D
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Although I've never met someone who will not reload with new brass, I have read there are folk who will not do so for fear of misadventure as described in the OP.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Didn't mean to sound "anti-tumbling"! My first years of reloading were done when I was young enough to spend time on my hobbies with full dedication, where every portion of reloading was appreciated, even inspecting/wiping brass. Usually, I didn't take a bunch of fired brass and after a time end up with a bunch of reloaded ammo as I'd "batch reload". I often liked to spend time with my "gun stuff", and inspecting brass was one way to spend time. Today I tumble my brass, but not every reloading (except my Garand ammo) and appreciate brass that looks like brass... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It is costing me a fortune to save money handloading! It seems there is a never ending pile of gadgets missing from my gun room.

I boil my brass after decapping in an old pot with some Dawn in it. They are rinsed in boiling water from the kettle and left to dry out for a few days. It then inspects easily. All reloads are chambered matched (neck sized) to control headspace problems and stretched web transitions on case walls.

IMO there are other important safety issues worth debating. My favorite is never using a powder load that will double charge my case without overflowing. Important note: Under no circumstance do I consider others who load differently unsafe. Cast bullets and Unique go together like gravy and mashed potatoes, just not on my bench.

Checking and rechecking loads through reliable sources. My favorites reveal the pressure, gun or test barrel used, etc.. These days age of data is becoming more important. IMR and Hodgdon made a major resupply to Australia with decades old powder designations. I no longer use Waters data without a quick check of current sources. Even then it might take years for info like 32 Special to be updated.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Canuck Bob wrote:
..IMO there are far more important safety issues worth debating [besides just cleaning brass - jdef]...
No argument there, brother.

Good tips, for certain.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:
..IMO there are other important safety issues worth debating [besides just cleaning brass - jdef]...
No argument there, brother.

Good tips, for certain.
John, I should not have used the original phrase the more accurate is "other important safety issues", properly edited. I had failed to look at the link and now have a new understanding of your post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Canuck Bob wrote:It is costing me a fortune to save money handloading! It seems there is a never ending pile of gadgets missing from my gun room.
Whatever you do, DON'T talley it up!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Most case separations come from bottle necked cartridges that are running at full throttle from improperly sized brass. You have to adjust your FLS so you don't push the shoulder back. This is why when using full pressure loads, the brass should be kept separate from individual rifles. This way the brass fits the individual chamber perfectly and has little room to "grow".

After trimming 3 times, well, that brass had to come from somewhere in order to gain length.

I use special Redding neck sizing dies for cartridges like the 300 Win. Mag/257 Rbts....etc. Done right, its nothing to get 20 reloads from each piece of brass.

Case head separations are also common on rimmed cartridges where there is excessive headspace and a hot load is used. At the instant of ignition the case walls grip the chamber walls and push the head towards the bolt, stretching it. Back in the early days it was common for me to have these separations in an oid 1886 in .33 .------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great stuff. Keep it coming and don't worry about being strict with the thread! I am sure that there is a new generation of handloaders reading this.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I didn't shoot for awhile. When I opened up the boxes again I had rounds that I had no idea what the loads were. They are now waiting to be pulled apart to save the brass. Good records are important.

I missed my only real bragging buck because I liked to carry plinking loads while hunting with my 444. One day a BIG buck stepped out onto the lease road while I was unloading the 444 to switch to a 22 for prairie chicken hunting. I pulled a cartridge from my pocket and missed my deer real low. My plinking loads had the same bullet as my full power loads. After that I used different bullets for different loads. I started to carry only hunting loads unless backpack hunting. We aren't allowed to carry a 22 pistol here and a rabbit or chicken made for a nice supper with a can of beans in the bush!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Canuck Bob wrote:It is costing me a fortune to save money handloading! It seems there is a never ending pile of gadgets missing from my gun room.
If my experience is any indication, you won't go wrong buying toys to help your reloading. As the price of ammo continues to rise, so to will the cost of reloading equipment. As with any "capital" investment, the more you use the equipment, the sooner the equipment "pays" for itself.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

vancelw wrote:
Whatever you do, DON'T talley it up!
Amen brother, I also started casting!! I'm famous for calculating how my bullets cost 3 cents or some such nonsense. But I don't talley up lube, propane, cast furnace, molds, Lyman M dies, RCBS lube press, sizing dies, whoa I gotta stop!!!!! There is a limit to how much denial I can acknowledge in a day.

This is in fun. In reality I do enjoy my hobby and shooting sports are good for country and home. What has been hurting this year is stocking up because of shortages and the strong felt conviction Canadian supply will be an increasing problem. Yesterday I moved some lead indoor to dry it up for ingot making. Soon I will not have any problem with some ammo company deciding what is going to be produced. I will not get caught by another run away shortage issue. Which of course is the reason behind this run away supply shortage.

If I choose to use jacketed bullets I can probably survive forever with a couple hundred bullets while I shoot my .03 cast bullets.

I might add this might qualify as a safety issue, making do. As an example it would be easy to use a magnum primer if that is all available. For a full power load that might be an issue specially if a guy doesn't have the powder reserves to do a proper work up.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I was shocked at how much I have spent on reloading in the past 5 to 8 years.
I see a shiney gun in an odd caliber and think, "Not a problem....I reload and cast my own." :roll:

Let's see ....(similar to your list) new brass, dies, crimp die, mould, gas checks, sizing die, top punch.....Whew.
They I do the occasional silly thing and buy something I already had but forgot I had it.
I'm in the process of redoing my reloading room right now. When I go to setting it back up I plan to do a total inventory to so I can look and a spreadsheet and see exactly what I have. No more buying 500 pieces of brass when I already have 500 I haven't opened yet.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

JohndeFresno wrote:Great stuff. Keep it coming and don't worry about being strict with the thread! I am sure that there is a new generation of handloaders reading this.
Yep . 8)
Phil
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vancelw wrote:..No more buying 500 pieces of brass when I already have 500 I haven't opened yet.
When I get down to a 1,000 pieces that haven't been loaded... I buy more!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!