I finally joined the 2-gun, 1 cartridge crowd

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

I finally joined the 2-gun, 1 cartridge crowd

Post by earlmck »

I've been envying all you folks who had both a rifle and a pistol shooting the same cartridge. I tried to join in a couple of years ago when I got a Rossi levergun in 357. Looks good on paper, but that levergun won't even come close to feeding my longtime favorite round I load for the Ruger GP101. I'm sure the revolver would fire anything I build for the Rossi but the only cartridge I use in that revolver is the LBT 180 grain flat nose and I'm not changing now. So I can't count that combo.

Today I picked up another Rossi -- liberated from Pennsylvania via "Gunbroker" --this time in 44 mag. This should pair quite nicely with my Redhawk, don't you think?

Here we go:
RossiandRedhawk8890.jpg
And a closer look:
RossiandRedhawk8891.jpg
The good part is that the 280 grain WFN that is my favorite in the Redhawk feeds just fine in the Rossi. I don't know if it shoots in the Rossi, but at least it feeds!

I hope to find out tomorrow how this thing shoots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I finally joined the 2-gun, 1 cartridge crowd

Post by JerryB »

That is a good looking pair Earl, should be a lot of fun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice combo, did it come with the rec. sight?

ollogger
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

ollogger wrote:Very nice combo, did it come with the rec. sight? ollogger
Yes it did, which is why I was willing to bid her up past where those other guys were willing to go :D
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

A good combo, congrats.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i have a rossi lever and a taylor smokewagon sa both chambered for the .357 mag. i t is nice to grab the guns and just one or two boxs of ammo without having to worry about mixing calibers up.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

My most fired firearms are .44's and almost always two at a time!

Plus when I hunt around home here, its fairly brushy and I'm awful comfortable hunting with .44's. So when I head out the door and into the brush around the house here, a long shot would be 125 yards, I have two .44's with me. It been like that for 35 years and I imagine will be for another 35 years.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the club! :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

earlmck wrote:...I'm sure the revolver would fire anything I build for the Rossi but the only cartridge I use in that revolver is the LBT 180 grain flat nose and I'm not changing now...
Good for you - a great combination!

Some words of caution: It appears to me that heavy loads, that is heavy bullets in loads - limit your ability to shoot safe 44 Magnum loads for both rifle and handgun.

Do you remember these postings? Move on down until you see the spreadsheet showing comparisons of safe loads for revolver and rifle.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=24395

John
1894c

Post by 1894c »

earlmck -- nice choice in caliber and firearms...for me it's a Rossi in .357mag and a Ruger SP-101...now all you NEED is a revolver in .35 Remington to go with your Savage 99... :)
VIVA.AD.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

1892 wrote:earlmck -- nice choice in caliber and firearms...for me it's a Rossi in .357mag and a Ruger SP-101...now all you NEED is a revolver in .35 Remington to go with your Savage 99... :)
VIVA.AD.png
:lol: :lol: :lol: 1892, I had forgot your great graphic art in illustration of the "woods walking stationary" thread...

Yep, I may need to get that 35 Rem revolver: I still have not got this 2-gun, 1 cartridge thing worked out. I made a gravel-pit run on Sunday, set up a box a 25 yards to see if I was "on paper" with my load. Well, "on paper" maybe, but not impressively so. The rifle does not like the load that works so well in the revolver (bunch of 296 behind the 280 grain WFN bullet). Since that bullet is pushing 1400 fps out of the revolver I'm guessing it is just going too fast for a plain-based bullet when launched from the rifle.

I didn't get any chronographing done, nor a decent try of different loads. Grandkids were along and they pretty much pre-empted any ballistic investigation.

But I shot just enough to report that this second attempt at joining your 2-gun, 1 cartridge crowd is not totally accomplished!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

1892 wrote:earlmck -- nice choice in caliber and firearms...for me it's a Rossi in .357mag and a Ruger SP-101...now all you NEED is a revolver in .35 Remington to go with your Savage 99... :)...
Agree on both points. That's what I have as well.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Nice choice on guns. Your bullets may be to heavy to stabilize in the rifle because of it's twist rate, I think most .44's are set up around a 240 or lighter bullet.

I've got my "little end" covered with my Browning B92 in .357 and any number of pistols I have in that cartridge.

I'm still working on my "heavy end", finding a pistol in .45-70 to go with my '86 is something I'm not spending too much time on tho'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

firefuzz wrote:I'm still working on my "heavy end", finding a pistol in .45-70 to go with my '86 is something I'm not spending too much time on tho'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You could always go for a lever gun and revolver in 500 S&W... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've shot a .500 S&W......have I done something bad to you to wish that on me? :lol: :lol: :lol: I do think an '86 sized rifle in .500 S&W would be the berries. Just not a handgun.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

firefuzz wrote:...finding a pistol in .45-70 to go with my '86 is something I'm not spending too much time on tho'. :lol: :lol: :lol: Rob
I saw Magnum Research's offering in a gun shop not too long ago. The proud owner was taking possession of his prize. He asked me what I thought of his BFG (as they call it) in .45-70.

I couldn't help but to shake my head, then ever so politely inform him that the owner must be crazy, and advised him to consider wrapping his wrists. Then, it seemed like a good time to leave.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Rossi m92 in .480 Ruger, and a Ruger Super Redhawk in the same caliber. I have found that using IMR 4227 and 400 grain XTP bullets or 410 grain LBT style lead bullets will give good accuracy in both the pistol and rifle. In the pistol, the 4227 seems to give a milder kick than the H110 does, and the reloading manuals show it is a slower load in a pistol, but faster in a rifle. You might have to find what load your rifle likes, and then use that load in the pistol, but it should still give good results in the pistol.

My .44 Magnum combo is a Ruger carbine and a Ruger Super Blackhawk. 240 grain JHP or JSP loaded to factory speed and there isn't much that rifle and pistol combo wouldn't handle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost