Ok reloaders....who wants to help?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Ok reloaders....who wants to help?

Post by wvfarrier »

I was recently send around 64 of the yet unreleased Lehigh 44 XP bullets to test. However, I no longer have anything chambered in 44 mag or special. According to Dave at Lehigh, these will expand at velocities as low as 800 fps (44 special guys). They are 220 grains. I will split them into 3 groups of 21 (one person gets 22). You can have them under two conditions and I want your word on it.
1- you will test them within 20 days and post the results here for our enjoyment.
2- you send your results to:
dave.fricke@lehighdefense.com

I have no affiliation with them but last year when I was going 44 crazy I mentioned to them that I'd love to test any that they came out with and voila! They magically appeared. We'll consider it a good karma give away. I will even pay shipping to ya...so long as yer CONUS.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Ok reloaders....who wants to help?

Post by Griff »

Contact 86er.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I'd be happy to test them out in my Charter Arms 44 special , & I generally try to keep my 44spl handloads in that 850 fps range. I don't try to make my specials into magnums.......I use wet newsprint for a test medium and I generally use Win 296 or Win 231 powders in my revolvers so I could do half with a slow powder and half with a fast powder if any of that matters.

William Prince
(whprince1967@gmailDOTKWAM)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The .44 special is my carry gun and I am having trouble finding a bullet that will expand at .44 special velocity. Several years ago I tried the Hornady 240 XTP HP and it did not expand at all. My load was 7.5 grains of Unique. I was able to buy some Remington 210 grain HP bullets that did expand very well, but I can't find them anymore and I have very few carry loads left. I use Unique powder for .44 special, what powder was recommended for your bullet??

I would like to try the bullets, I have a friend that has a chronograph and would be glad to help with the testing.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Jerry,
I would be interested in the results.
You about have me talked into a .44 special.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Pm me yer addresses n I will hook you up
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll be interested in the results. Probably shouldn't volunteer to do the testing as my schedule just plain sucks lately, but if not enough others step up I could do it. The shooting part is easy, but you'd have to advise what kind of test medium or measurements you want.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

PM sent, looking forward to this. My friend with the chronograph is also a .44special shooter.

Mescalero I told you about a year ago to look at a Taurus 431 or 441. check on line and look at them. Mine is the 431 with fixed sights, my grandson in Texas bought it for me and the 441 with adjustable sights for him., they will take the Skeeter Skelton load but I load mine down to 7.0 grains of Unique with a 240 grain cast swc.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Only one interested party so far......baffling
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I would offer to test them in my Navy Arms Schofield with a 5" barrel in 44-40. However, the opportunities for me to shoot at much more than paper are slim. Neither do I have access to a Choronograph, so in all likelyhood, I might have trouble getting them to go to 800 fpd from the muzzle, and not be certain of the velocity either. Who knows how slow they would be chugging along at 25 or 50 yards.

But thank you for the offer. I would take you up on it if I felt I could offer helpful feed-back, other than just paper groups.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

wvfarrier wrote:Only one interested party so far......baffling
I'd be happy to help out, but with my schedule I can't tell you it would get done in the time frame you mentioned, and besides my local range that's near my home is closed for construction till the middle of October.
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:
wvfarrier wrote:Only one interested party so far......baffling
I'd be happy to help out, but with my schedule I can't tell you it would get done in the time frame you mentioned, and besides my local range that's near my home is closed for construction till the middle of October.
Same here. Deer season starts in 10 days :D :D :D I might not have time for reloading till January.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Last night I sent a PM to wvfarrier and one to Mescalero. This morning I looked at my PM and did not show the two that I sent. So maybe mine didn't send.

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Jerry- I didn't get anything.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I sent you a return PM this morning but it didn't go so I sent an email. I am sure looking forward to getting started on this project and I want to thank you again.