Cowboy Action Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Cowboy Action Today

Post by Griff »

Our club had a "Black Powder" challenge issued by one of the members... I just HAD to be there. Shot my '51 Navies the Uberti '73 and a clone of the Colt 1878. Only the 1878 worked flawlessly today! I seemed to have some issue with a spent cap deforming and cloggin' up the works... on one stage... the next it worked just fine... If I was smarter, I could probably figure out why! :P

The '73 was, as usual, smooth and in perfect form thru 3 stages. Then, when I went to load it for the 4th, the hammer wouldn't fall. Took the stock off and yep, broken mainspring! It's a good thing I have a spare! Unfortunately, it was at home in the tool box... which I intended to take with me, but left sitting on the generator, where I'd set I while I went back inside for something that I'd forgotten! :P :lol: :lol:

I still wore a smile all day!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: Cowboy Action Today

Post by plowboy 45 »

Sounds like a good time
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Cowboy Action ------ Oklahoma State Cowboys defeated University of Texas San Antonio Roadrunners' 43-13

The game was not nearly as lopsided as the score indicates as Coach Larry Coker's UTSA team definitely kept things intersting at times and exposed the Cowboys' weak spots (Larry Coker who won the '01 national championship and played for the '02 championship (losing in a 2 overtime game) at Miami-- was also a Cowboys assistant coach from '83 to 93 - notably coaching running backs in Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas's tenure )--- he moved to Miami as an OC in 95 and was named head coach in '00

------ The Cowboys are definitely in a rebuilding year but the sheer talent level for the big 12 ultimately was a bit much for a mid major like UTSA to overcome, even with Coker as a coach, ---
Thankfully, after tonight, the Roadrunner's enter their conference schedule and this gets much easier --- while on the flip side, the Cowboys also enter their conference schedule - and things get much tougher

Thats it for Cowboy Action today --- i'll send it down to Jim in the booth for more play by play coverage
----- Doug
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like a lot of Cowboys in a lot of different action this week end.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry for your hardware problems Griff. Sounds like a great time though.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote:Cowboy Action ------ Oklahoma State Cowboys defeated University of Texas San Antonio Roadrunners' 43-13

The game was not nearly as lopsided as the score indicates as Coach Larry Coker's UTSA team definitely kept things intersting at times and exposed the Cowboys' weak spots (Larry Coker who won the '01 national championship and played for the '02 championship (losing in a 2 overtime game) at Miami-- was also a Cowboys assistant coach from '83 to 93 - notably coaching running backs in Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas's tenure )--- he moved to Miami as an OC in 95 and was named head coach in '00

------ The Cowboys are definitely in a rebuilding year but the sheer talent level for the big 12 ultimately was a bit much for a mid major like UTSA to overcome, even with Coker as a coach, ---
Thankfully, after tonight, the Roadrunner's enter their conference schedule and this gets much easier --- while on the flip side, the Cowboys also enter their conference schedule - and things get much tougher

Thats it for Cowboy Action today --- i'll send it down to Jim in the booth for more play by play coverage
Real men play RUGBY! Boys pretending to be men play American "football".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote:
Streetstar wrote:Cowboy Action ------ Oklahoma State Cowboys defeated University of Texas San Antonio Roadrunners' 43-13

Rugby? That is an odd sentiment for a Texan , ---- And i admit to not being very familiar with it, but you would have to be pretty tough to play it at high levels---- 230 pound guys with no pads taking each other down at speed is rough business

But back on point, Was the blackpowder meet also open to cartridge conversions and cartridge guns loaded with bp too, or was it limited to true front stuffers?
Either way it sounds like a good day
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote:
Griff wrote:
Rugby? That is an odd sentiment for a Texan , ---- And i admit to not being very familiar with it, but you would have to be pretty tough to play it at high levels---- 230 pound guys with no pads taking each other down at speed is rough business

But back on point, Was the blackpowder meet also open to cartridge conversions and cartridge guns loaded with bp too, or was it limited to true front stuffers?
Either way it sounds like a good day
1st you have to understand that when it comes to sports, after swimming & baseball, 1st & foremost, I'm a Kiwi: http://stats.allblacks.com/ Winningest franchise in ALL of sports! With better'n 2 points scored for every point their opponents scored.

Yes, cartridge guns & conversions, using BP or subs, all were welcome. I had the MOST fun tho'! At an average of 80 seconds per stage, NO one spent as much time havin' fun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The broken mainspring:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

[/quote]Real men play RUGBY! Boys pretending to be men play American "football".[/quote]

In Montana, Girls play RUGBY! and they play for KEEPS !! ;-)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:
In Montana, Girls play RUGBY! and they play for KEEPS !! ;-)
I notice, with muted interest, that you list Wyoming as your locale... Montana too tough? :P :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Griff on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Got my sights set on Montana.. :-D
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Broken mainspring??? I tell ya, they just don't make 'em like they used to. Here's my guns, still dirty from the shootin' match on Saturday.

The 1873 pictured, made in 1883 got me a 30x40 and the main spring still works. :D but then again, metallurgy back 131 years ago was so much better than today. 8)

(Man! I just gotta bustin' testicles)-------"""""-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Worst day shooting is still usually better than a good day working!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Worst day shooting is still usually better than a good day working!
a big X2 :D
----- Doug
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Griff, are broken main springs common? I noted you stocked a spare.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Canuck Bob wrote:Griff, are broken main springs common? I noted you stocked a spare.
This s an older gun (1986 production), and this is the first broken mainspring. I'd been advised to keep a spare, as you just never know with these Italian springs! 28 years... and it's probably seen as much shooting as most originals! I'd say, "cheap insurance" about covers my attitude about such things.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!