Pre-season Derr Hunting Reminder...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Pre-season Derr Hunting Reminder...

Post by 1894c »

Be prepared...be safe... :)
VIVA.AD.png
bear alert.jpg
bear.natural selection.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pre-season Derr Hunting Reminder...

Post by OldWin »

:lol:

We always call paper towels "crapkins".......they work on either end.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The blue paper towels at gas stations are best for every application.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good and timely info, and funny as hell

we can laugh about those encounters but they are not fun in my experience and frankly they scare the snot out of me. when they look you over with the sizing-you-up expression it's hard not to start running, thereby closing the deal. yuck.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

3leggedturtle wrote:The blue paper towels at gas stations are best for every application.

I never thought of that! I've got those out in the garage. :D

Grizz wrote:we can laugh about those encounters but they are not fun in my experience and frankly they scare the snot out of me. when they look you over with the sizing-you-up expression it's hard not to start running, thereby closing the deal. yuck.

At first I didn't know if you were talking about the bear or getting caught "in the act". :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OldWin

cuts both ways for me :lol: :lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Grizz wrote:OldWin

cuts both ways for me :lol: :lol:

Hahahahaha! Priceless! :lol: :lol:

Wait.....come to think of it, it has for me too! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'll remember that next month when I'm in Colorado camping in a tent with a weeks worth of food sitting around the campsite and also when I'm pushing through the thick pines.

I hear never to worry about such things as "when your time is up, it's up". :D

I figure at 60 years of age I'm waaaaayyyyy ahead of the game.

But then again, I'll be packing an extra lightweight 1886 in 45-90 pushing 350 grainers 1800.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Jack just carry some baby wipes if you make it through the ordeal you can dig them out your day pack and clean up. :lol: and baby wipes are good for saddle itch too :lol: . danny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote:I'll remember that next month when I'm in Colorado camping in a tent with a weeks worth of food sitting around the campsite and also when I'm pushing through the thick pines.

I hear never to worry about such things as "when your time is up, it's up". :D

I figure at 60 years of age I'm waaaaayyyyy ahead of the game.

But then again, I'll be packing an extra lightweight 1886 in 45-90 pushing 350 grainers 1800.----6
Sounds like a fun trip Six. Is Colorado ready for you? :lol:

Don't you worry about those bears, They may sniff you over but you got that Skoal and gunpowder cover scent so you'll be ok. :D

You still may need the baby wipes though......... :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BigSky56 wrote:Jack just carry some baby wipes if you make it through the ordeal you can dig them out your day pack and clean up. :lol: and baby wipes are good for saddle itch too :lol: . danny
I hear ya Danny! Funny thing happens to a man when he "starts" to reach old age......I just don't care about a whole lot anymore.

I figure if my shorts get a bit stained, I can just throw em out or put them under my sons pillow where he can enjoy them. . If the bear gets the best of me....oh well, Shiite happens. I've lived good and enjoyed every day since July 5th of 1954. :D

And Old Win, .......forgot the amount of deer that have bit the dust when I had a cigarette in one hand and a flask of Wild Turkey 101 in the other.--------/////,,,,,,-------+++^^^}}}{{[]]]======6. :D

This is a rifle that I wish could talk. Special order 45-90, (Extra lightweights were only made in 45-70 and .33). Nickel steel, full length mag, takedown. I counted 232 notches on this rifle......is well worn but it shoots like a scoped bolt gun.

Theres 60 right there. The notches run around the tang and the forend.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hear ya Jack. The biggest buck my old man ever shot was with a cig in his mouth and takin a leak. I wouldn't have told nobody, but you got to know the old man. :D

I messed up a nice buck once while I was getting ready to use the crapkins. :shock:
It was NOT a proud moment as I left my 94 carbine about 6 inches beyond my reach. :oops:
In my defense, I was about 12yrs old. I didn't make THAT mistake again. Sadly, I haven't had the same chance since.

All my deer since are taken in a most professional and respectable way, worthy of any show on the outdoor channel......... :wink: :D

That's a cool 86 by the way. I've surely never seen a LW like that. Somebody must have been pretty particular in his wants back in the day. It's sure done a heap o' killin'. I've never seen a nickel steel 45-90. She looks pretty good too. Is that the one you're taking to Colorado? You wouldn't want to lug my 45-90 around Colorado, I don't like carrying it up the cellar stairs. :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never met a bear up close and personal, so I don't know what would really happen. Those cartoons are great.

Hey Sixgun, hope you have a great hunt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

piller wrote:I have never met a bear up close and personal, so I don't know what would really happen. Those cartoons are great.

Hey Sixgun, hope you have a great hunt.
I had to walk by a grizzly near Lake KLuane. He was 40 feet away,I sure he could hear my heart pounding. Its humbling to realize you are part of his food chain.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!