Need Opinions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Need Opinions

Post by jdad »

This is my F'ugly '47. I shoot in Master class so it's functionally fine, just f'ugly. The butt stock was in 3 pieces when I bought it and I was able to piece it back together fairly well. I refinished the forearm at the same time.

I bought one of the 1897CL butt stocks, from Numricch, and mounted it. I really don't think it looks right.

What's the overall consensus? Original refinished or modern replacement?

Original refinished.

Modern Replacement

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need Opinions

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Keep the original on it.... The new replacement stock looks just like a new replacement stock... It does have some nice figure though and checkering is usually a good thing... But you're shooting Master with the old stock..... Your gut is telling you right
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

other than the checkering it looks great.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

David, I like the appeal of the curve that's in the rear of the replacement buttstock, better than the issue straight wood there - so, I would mount the replacement wood, keeping the gennie wood incase of any resale.

[edit]: HEY ! Izzat a naked rear bbl sight dovetail on yer '47 ? If so, how 'bout I send ya a hand-filed dovetail slot filler (below), fer the bubble ? (PM me, please)

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Pete44ru wrote:.

[edit]: HEY ! Izzat a naked rear bbl sight dovetail on yer '47 ? If so, how 'bout I send ya a hand-filed dovetail slot filler (below), fer the bubble ? (PM me, please)

What is this "bubble" you speak of? :?:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jdad wrote:
What is this "bubble" you speak of ?
It's a sweet thought (no money)............ :mrgreen:

If you'd like it, please PM your snailmail addy to me again - I didn't keep it after I bought your Browning T-Bolt peep sight.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old one.......That Mountie you sold me was fuglier than that, and I love it....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

"Fugly" is in the eyes of the beholder. That new replacement stock is like puttin' a set of low rider ghetto wheels on a '57 Chevy.-------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If you don't like the way it looks , sell it to someone who thinks it looks okay and buy you one in better cosmetic shape .

In my always biased opinion I would say start looking for a 1897 with some special order features . Might get you for about 3G's but whats money amongst gun folks LOL's !

An 1897 with factory checkering a 26" half round half octagon barrel and a 3/4 mag tube would be rather nice !

And if you could find one like that with factory engraving as well , well it couldn't get any better then that .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

6pt-sika wrote:If you don't like the way it looks , sell it to someone who thinks it looks okay and buy you one in better cosmetic shape .

In my always biased opinion I would say start looking for a 1897 with some special order features . Might get you for about 3G's but whats money amongst gun folks LOL's !

An 1897 with factory checkering a 26" half round half octagon barrel and a 3/4 mag tube would be rather nice !

And if you could find one like that with factory engraving as well , well it couldn't get any better then that .

BTDT :D .....and for several grand less. You forget I've owned just about every variation of Marlin rimfire levers there was. :wink: ............and not going to sell a 39A that I can shoot Master class scores with either. :wink:

Last edited by jdad on Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:"Fugly" is in the eyes of the beholder. That new replacement stock is like puttin' a set of low rider ghetto wheels on a '57 Chevy.-------6

Never quite thought of it that way, but I do agree. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jdad,
You know as well as I know that 99% of the gun guys like to see "fresh, new, unblemished wood and metal. I can't remember the amount of times that a guy would show me their new acquisition that was built in say.......1921.....then complain about the dents on the wood and some bluing loss on the muzzle and how they are going to get it "all freshened up"

Got tired of arguing with them. I'd just go ahead and give them a nice fresh 1982 built Winchester 94 for their "dented up half mag, Lyman 38 sighted, shotgun butt, pistol gripped 1894 built in 1914.

Sometimes I even asked for a few bucks in return.

Let's stay in that 1%. :D ----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No real reason, but the smooth grip and the shape there it transitions from pistol grip to the top of the actual stock appeals to me more on the older stock. The new one looks OK to me, but the old one looks OK with character. Again, no real reason.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost