The world ceases as I know it !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

The world ceases as I know it !

Post by 6pt-sika »

The world ceases as I know it today !

This AM I bought a rather early manufacture Remington 742 in 30-06 :shock:

IT isn't a bolt action , lever action or single shot !!!!!! Whats the world coming to !!!!!!

And of all things it's chambered for the 06 (certainly not in my Top Ten hit parade ).

But I got it at a price where it can be turned if I can't make it shoot to suit me .

And no it isn't getting see thru mounts like the PA shuckamatics or a 4-12 scope .

Might mount a old Weaver K3 on it !!!!

If not a Redfield 2-7 should be okay .

Pictures will follow later as it's in the process of being cleaned inside and out . Also has a small crack thats being taken care of as I type this !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The world ceases as I know it !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now if I get this thing back together today I need to load up a few rounds to try in it at the range tommorrow morning .

Was planning to go and get my two Knight Disc Rifle ML's checked out and shoot the MacFarlane 10 gauge double some more .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I knew a guy at work that would never hunt with anything but. He called it Meat Stick. Kind of like my old Model 72 .22......I won't shoot it on paper to break the spell because when I could hunt squill in the midwest, I truly never missed one with it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The only thing allowed in Pennsylvania are Rem. 760 pumps with see through mounts and some kind of a cheap 3-9X scope attached. At least thats what about 80% of the guns that are in the woods and on dealers shelves.

I very sledom run into the Remington autos like your 742.

I hear they shoot well.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Sixgun wrote:The only thing allowed in Pennsylvania are Rem. 760 pumps with see through mounts and some kind of a cheap 3-9X scope attached. At least thats what about 80% of the guns that are in the woods and on dealers shelves.

That's pretty much spot on 6.
I do know a PA. fellow that used to hunt LetterKenny army depot for many years (Shotgun slugs only).
He used and still has a real nice Browning BPS topped with a 4x Nikon glass. :wink:
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Sixgun wrote:The only thing allowed in Pennsylvania are Rem. 760 pumps with see through mounts and some kind of a cheap 3-9X scope attached. At least thats what about 80% of the guns that are in the woods and on dealers shelves.

Maybe that's because of PA's "manually operated" rule? :lol:
Merle from PA
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well this "thing" looked kinda grungy when I first saw it . So while I was still scrubbing on it and putting it back together a friend came in and already offered me 2 1/2 times what I have in it !

This ones old enough that it has the old Remington aluminum buttplate .

When I got home I took a Weaver V7 off my Ruger #1H 375 H&H and mounted it on this thing .

Had three different loads I had loaded up for my 6.5-06 when it still had the 30-06 barrel on . Anyway all three loadings chamber in the 742 so tomorrow we'll see how it does .
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:
I knew a guy at work that would never hunt with anything but. He called it Meat Stick.

"Meat Stick"...kind-of has a ring to it... :O

Hey 6pt-sika --- did you know you can get a 20 rnd mag for the 742...
IMG_6988.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The new Redfield 2-7X is a fine scope. I shot with mine yesterday and it worked just fine.
I also had one of the REM. autoloaders in 06. Great for the woods hunter who does not need better than 2-3" at 100 yd.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

1894c wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
IMG_6988.jpg
Wasn't aware of the 20 but I think I remember some folks around here with ten rounders .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The new Redfield 2-7X is a fine scope. I shot with mine yesterday and it worked just fine.
I also had one of the REM. autoloaders in 06. Great for the woods hunter who does not need better than 2-3" at 100 yd.
I'd like it better if it were the carbine version or in 308 . If it doesn't do any better then 2" for 3 at 100 with hand loads it'll go down the road PDQ !
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

I've had a 742 in 6mm Rem. since I bought it new over 40 years ago. Killed many a deer with it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The new Redfield 2-7X is a fine scope. I shot with mine yesterday and it worked just fine.
Exactly....I don't know anyone who takes a benchrest out hunting.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

6pt-sika wrote:
1894c wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
IMG_6988.jpg
Wasn't aware of the 20 but I think I remember some folks around here with ten rounders .
Yeah, I know a guy who bought some 10-rounders 25 years ago. Sure enough, the deer he shot that year had about 10 holes in it, including 2 in the antlers! :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote:
Exactly....I don't know anyone who takes a benchrest out hunting.... :lol:
Right.......I have a few antique Winchesters that are real-deal hunting guns that I have used on a regular basis in my career. With warm loads and cast bullets, the best they will do is 3", usually 4". Mind you now, with mild loads and taking my time, they will do an honest 2", but with the hotter loads, it's 3-5" shooting fast.

The 86 in 45-90 that I'm using for elk this year is a 4" gun. That means I have a foot up or down for error. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

vancelw wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
1894c wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
IMG_6988.jpg
Yeah, I know a guy who bought some 10-rounders 25 years ago. Sure enough, the deer he shot that year had about 10 holes in it, including 2 in the antlers! :lol:
He prolly just got shook up because it was "comin' right at him..."

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote:
He prolly just got shook up because it was "comin' right at him..."

:wink:
No, pretty sure he was just an idiot :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I wish you luck, because I had a 7400 once ... what a P.O.S.!

10 rounders form Millett, RamLine, Triple K, National or USA or so ... the Triple K were the only ones to function. At least sometimes, with pointed bullets only, and with full power loads only.

You COULDN´T seat the bullet out to nearly touch the rifling ... I ran out of case lenght or bullet lenght ... that´s a TERRIBLE amount of freebore!

And any time I took off the forearm, it changed POI.

But it makes perhaps a fine boat anchor!

;-)

Hermann

edited, because somehow text was changed ...
Last edited by Arminius on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

1894c wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
I knew a guy at work that would never hunt with anything but. He called it Meat Stick.

"Meat Stick"...kind-of has a ring to it... :O

IMG_6988.jpg

interesting....do they work reliably? where do you find them?
Last edited by hfcable on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cable
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

SWFA markets a new exclusive(?) 3X Leupold scope that looks real interesting. A straight tube but with longer and mounting friendly dimensions compared to the 2.5X Ultralight which it resembles. If it was available in Canada i think it might make it to my house, you Yanks are so lucky!

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-FX-II-Rifl ... 50855.aspx
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Canuck Bob wrote:SWFA markets a new exclusive(?) 3X Leupold scope that looks real interesting. A straight tube but with longer and mounting friendly dimensions compared to the 2.5X Ultralight which it resembles. If it was available in Canada i think it might make it to my house, you Yanks are so lucky!

They made a 3x about 20-30 years ago !

In the M-8 line . If you can find any of those old Leupold M-8 3x they generally bring about $200-250 .
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

6pt-sika wrote:
Canuck Bob wrote:SWFA markets a new exclusive(?) 3X Leupold scope that looks real interesting. A straight tube but with longer and mounting friendly dimensions compared to the 2.5X Ultralight which it resembles. If it was available in Canada i think it might make it to my house, you Yanks are so lucky!

They made a 3x about 20-30 years ago !

In the M-8 line . If you can find any of those old Leupold M-8 3x they generally bring about $200-250 .

you are exactly right; here is one on ebay now with buy-it-now price of 249.00$ :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-M8-3x-R ... 2a41fda3f7
cable
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6pt-sika wrote:Well this "thing" looked kinda grungy when I first saw it . So while I was still scrubbing on it and putting it back together a friend came in and already offered me 2 1/2 times what I have in it !

Dont tell me you still have it? --- that rascal would have been gone by the time i got it buttoned up again were it mine --- easy money ! :lol:
----- Doug
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

6pt, a friend asked me to sight his in some years ago. After I got it dialed in single-loading, I put 4 in the magazine and shot a group. POI changed quite a bit after the first shot - watch for that.
Glenn
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

6pt-sika: my brother has had 3 since 75, they are all accurate and reliable. As why you did; we all have thoughts about "things" we don't like or want but have an unnatural longing to have or at least try the once. :) 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

3leggedturtle wrote:6pt-sika: my brother has had 3 since 75, they are all accurate and reliable. As why you did; we all have thoughts about "things" we don't like or want but have an unnatural longing to have or at least try the once. :) 3leg
I suspect this one will go down the road fairly shortly to my friend that made me the offer the other day . He seems to like the darn things !
If it hadn't been priced right I know I would not have bothered with it . Also the fact that it seems to have been fired little based on internal wear and the fact it was made in 1967 . Stuff that dates back to my childhood calls me lately LOL's !!!!

I have a Ruger 44R carbine that was my grandfathers . I also have had two of them before and actually like them . In the future I may try and find a nice Belgian made Browning BAR in 308 or 06 .

But I suspect if I ever get wound up about a semi auto to hunt I may just opt for a Stag Arms Model 7 in 6.8 SPC . I've worked with a couple of them at the range and to be totally honest don't dislike them . Can't say I like them , but I do not dislike them either .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oh incidently I shot this thing yesterday !

I used ammo I had loaded for my 1964 700 BDL when it still had the 06 barrel . All chambered fine .

Tried Hornady 165 SST , Hornady 165 IB and Sierra 150 SP all pushed with IMR4350 .

None were tack drivers at 100 yards but as has been stated about other rifles , it was all good enough to kill deer to perhaps 200 yards .

I have a pound of Western's "Hunter" powder I wanna try a couple of those bullets with .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

On a sort of side note the Weaver V7 I took off my 375 H&H and mounted on this 742 seems to have gotten an issue , seems one of the rubber seal rings inside the scope has popped loose . Need to find a relatively new used Leupold or Redfield 2-7 or 3-9 to mount on the rifle until I waylay Mr. Man Eating Whitetail .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The uhm old Remington 742 I got a few days ago !

Took it out Damage Control Hunting last evening !

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

6pt-sika wrote:The uhm old Remington 742 I got a few days ago !

Well, how did it/you do? :?:
Merle from PA
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Merle wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:The uhm old Remington 742 I got a few days ago !

Well, how did it/you do? :?:
The gun with the loads I had made for a 700 BDL kept 3 at 100 in a smidge under 2" from the bench . As to hunting yesterday I never saw a darn thing to shoot at !

No deer , no coons , no groundhogs , no coyotes and not even a squirrel although I wouldn't have fired at a squirrel (or a groundhog either for that matter).
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

6pt-sika wrote:...
No deer , no coons , no groundhogs , no coyotes and not even a squirrel although I wouldn't have fired at a squirrel (or a groundhog either for that matter).
Well... my first suggestion is to stop wearing spurs.

The second is to stop wearing Mr-T Bling Chains.

Between the two you might be slightly less noticeable than an SR-71 at take off... :twisted: :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well the old circa 67 Remington 742 left my possesion about an hour ago . Sold it to a friend for a modest profit .

742's don't seem to grow on me .>