Removing a barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Removing a barrel

Post by perry owens »

Finally got my export licence so I can now ship the barrel of my 1890 vintage Winchester 1873 to a gunsmith in Switzerland for a reline. The barrel has been in place for 124 years so I don't suppose it will give up without a fight. I have made an action wrench and am working on some aluminium vice inserts for octagon barrels but I have a question for you guys who have done this - is the barrel thread right-hand?

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Removing a barrel

Post by Dusty Texian »

Hey Perry Owens,Yes the barrel threads on an original 1873 Winchester are cut right hand. I have removed the barrels on many antique Winchester 1873 and 1876 Winchesters.Most were very easy to break free and then the barrel threads off very easy. I am sure others have had the one with the stuck , stubborn barrel ,guess I have just been lucky.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Perry, I second the righthand threads, but more helpful perhaps, you can get away with hardwood or plywood blocks in a vice. Cut a groove in them with a 45degree table saw blade and you will engage 4 of the 8 sides. I've never had a barre lthat gave me a problem with that set up.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

And it does not hurt to heat up the part of the receiver that the barrel screws into. Not smokin' red hot.....just a little more than the hands can take.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What those guys said +1 Good info!! :D
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Soak the threads in Kroil overnight before you take it loose. Best break-'er-loose I've ever found.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Guys, with your help the barrel is now off. Can't get Kroil in the UK so I soaked it overnight in a 50/50 mixture of auto transmission fluid and acetone. The 45 degree angle block tip worked a treat and held it fast while I slipped a 4ft length of pipe over the action wrench handle and heaved. Guess this was one of the tougher ones.
Thanks again.

Perry owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."