A conundrum. And other big words.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Keep it or Sell it?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:57 am

Keep it. Who cares if it's from Turkey!
76%
Sell, sell, sell! You're not losing much.
24%

Total votes: 25
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

A conundrum. And other big words.

Post by Panzercat »

It's time to make a decision and it's a tough one. Over a year back I bought an Umarex stainless 1911 under the Davidson's Guaranteed brand. It's been utterly reliable but throws rounds low, so I finally got off my butt and took advantage of the warranty offered through Davidson's. They were awesome and replaced the pistol outright. I don't even think I waited a week for the round trip and the rep was great. Plug for Davidson's. So now I've got a brand new 1911, still in oil.

The conundrum comes in the fact that I'm thinking of selling it to trade up to an XDm 45 compact. Maybe an M&P45c.

There's a few things you should know before voting, however. First, I've lost nearly $100 of value in 1911 after taxes get figured in thanks to the world's greatest gun salesman. A year and a half back, the gun market was on fire and so was the price of my pistol. The only thing that kept it from going any higher is point #2: Who the hell is Umarex? The same thing that kept it cheap(er) then is killing resale value now. It's been a struggle just to sell it for $500, which is fair market value without tax or FFL fees. You know buy low and sell high? That didn't happen here. Which brings us to a third and final point-- No, I cannot keep both. the play money, nor the wife's mood is just not there, so it's decision time.

Part of me hates to let it go. I've lost money (will recoup some by selling mags and grips separately) and I honestly like the 1911 platform. It's a sexy gun. On the other hand, I know I'm ultimately not losing much. It's a pistol made in Turkey and short of a 1911 famine, it'll never appreciate in value. In fact, the discount 1911 market is pretty much saturated. So I either sell it new or just keep it around as my do everything gun, at which point the XD/M&P moves to the bottom of a lengthy 'buy me!' list. Conversly, I'm pretty sure another 1911 will wedge itself into my collection somewhere down the road again.

So I ask you help. Either assist me in slaying my remaining doubt and sell the 1911 or tell me I'm a boob for even thinking such heresy.

Versus

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Re: A conundrum. And other big words.

Post by guido4198 »

If you bought it to SHOOT...and it works everytime...keep it and ENJOY. :)
If you bought it to SELL...you failed to choose wisely grasshopper. :mrgreen:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Need more info.
Why do you want a compact .45? What will it be used for? Will you carry it every day or will it spend most of it's life in the bedside table?
If you won't carry it every day, why not just keep the 1911?
Do you have another 1911? It's good to have at least one 1911.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Watch him Abe, he might be carrying a hideaway.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1. Does this one shoot low also? Until I knew that, I would hold off on making a decision.

2. It's un-American to NOT own a 1911.

3. What other accessories need to be replaced if you change platforms? Holsters, mags & mag pouches, etc.?

4. It's un-American to NOT own a 1911.

5. It's un-American to NOT own a 1911.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my vote is for the XD for a carry gun. my xd compact is more reliable with my handloads than my 300$ Phillipino 1911, which is built to the colt production specs. It carries more rounds with the full size mag, and it conceals better than a 1911 with the 10 round mag. With the 10 round mag it's not much bigger than my xd9 sub-compact. same frame you know? but noticeably heavier than the xd 9, and noticeably lighter than the 1911. it fits in the same holster. slightly bulkier at the butt where it is hardest to conceal anyway.

Grizz
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'd keep it and save your pennies till you can buy the XD too.
NRA Life Member
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Carry the XD, there are some pretty good advantages there. It is a good choice. You can carry a short mag in the gun and long mags in the pouch. I like the XD, too, because it has a grip safety. They are reliable, simple, and strong. You won't go wrong.

You can worry about lost value and all that stuff, but you owned that 1911, shot it, and got value from it. At the end of the day, figure out what you need, what you want, and get there the best way possible.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'd be more interested in an M&P than the alternative, but that's just me.

I'm curious, it just shot low? And they replaced the entire gun because of that? Isnt that just a sight regulation issue? Why not just work with the sights? Either filing or replacing the front, or replacing the rear with one of the correct height?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

7.62 Precision wrote:Carry the XD, there are some pretty good advantages there. It is a good choice. You can carry a short mag in the gun anYou can worry about lost value and all that stuff, but you owned that 1911, shot it, and got value from it. At the end of the day, figure out what you need, what you want, and get there the best way possible.
clean advice - I just can't imagine parting with a firearm
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Tycer wrote:Need more info.
Why do you want a compact .45? What will it be used for? Will you carry it every day or will it spend most of it's life in the bedside table?
If you won't carry it every day, why not just keep the 1911?
Do you have another 1911? It's good to have at least one 1911.
Yes, that was the plan-- Everyday carry. To point, I've been carrying the 1911 everyday. It's not overly heavy, just large for a conceal carry gun.
I do not have another 1911.
Griff wrote:1. Does this one shoot low also? Until I knew that, I would hold off on making a decision.
2. It's un-American to NOT own a 1911.
3. What other accessories need to be replaced if you change platforms? Holsters, mags & mag pouches, etc.?
4. It's un-American to NOT own a 1911.
5. It's un-American to NOT own a 1911.
1. Sending rounds downrange to find out removes my ability to sell it as new. I'm reluctant to do so given how hard it is to sell the darn thing to begin with.
3. Amazingly, almost nothing. The Xd will come with 2 mags, a holster, and mag pouch. Right now there is a factory promotion for another 3 mags and mag pouch for free.
2,4,5. I agree. Irony is that the 1911 is made in Turkey ;)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'd keep the 1911 , but also continue rat-holeing money for a more compact carry piece

but then again, personally i have much more practical use for a full size or mid size gun than a compact -- and i also prefer wheel guns when i'm traipsing over hill and dale , or even as "truck guns"
------ so my opinion is a classic case of -- "What works for me , may not work for you"

I carried a 3.5" barrel RIA 1911 as a CCW piece for a couple of years and it was an accurate , stone reliable little shooter -- but heavy compared to the composites, to be sure --- I replaced it with a Glock 29 10mm

As far as being un-American not to have a 1911? ---- I like 'em, (but dont currently have one other than a little Sig 238) -- My fascination with 1911's flew out the window the day i shot a Sig 220 --- They are single stack .45's with similar capacity to the 1911, but i liked the trigger and ergos better, -- so i dont get misty eyed over 1911's anymore.
All that said, I'm a Colt maniac now, so a Delta 10mm and a Gold Cup are definitely on my "must list" to have as shooters sometime when the circumstances are right
----- Doug
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

For EDC, the Springfield with the five mags is it. Done.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Which one can you shoot more accurately? (I know you can't shoot that one, but judging from the old one, even if it did shoot low, which one can you shoot more accurately in a variety of situations. For example, which one is better at quickly drawing and putting a double tap into a grapefruit at 5 yards without bringing it higher than chest level? Which one is better at putting more rounds into a sheet of paper at 50 yards? The little one is more concealable, but do you shoot better with it in a variety of situations?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Cripes, there's a decision here?

Sell it for whatever you can get and get a gun that is dependable.

Either that or invest in some 1-gallon zip-lock bags and a coffee can and bury it.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Its all a matter of taste and a question of what works best for you. None of us are qualified to choose for you.

Like asking someone should I marry Carol or Mary? Well maybe not exactly like that because in your circumstance it is perfectly legal to have both.....can't do that when it comes to wives.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

It seems that the pistol is good but only shoots low. That means you need a higher rear sight. Check out Brownells or Wilson Combat for taller after market sights.
- Brian
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

wm wrote:Its all a matter of taste and a question of what works best for you. None of us are qualified to choose for you.
Like asking someone should I marry Carol or Mary? Well maybe not exactly like that because in your circumstance it is perfectly legal to have both.....can't do that when it comes to wives.
While true, the different angles give me something to think about, or brings to light something I haven't considered yet.
Like... I just found out there is an XDm Rowland 460 conversion kit ...13 rounds of faux 44 mag is kinda hawt :shock:
BrianSH wrote:It seems that the pistol is good but only shoots low. That means you need a higher rear sight. Check out Brownells or Wilson Combat for taller after market sights.
- Brian
Possibly, but a moot point now that davidson's put a new pistol in my hand. The only question now is to keep it or sell it... And the ability to make a 460 roland conversion out of a EDC package might just have sealed the deal. Supposedly it handles 45 super right out of the box.
Last edited by Panzercat on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I like the XD series, but I sure wouldn't get rid of a 1911 to get one, I've carried one 1911 or the other for over 30 years so I guess I'm just biased. The XD's if I remember right are still made in Croatia so I don't really see the point there. If all else fails ship the 1911 to me and I'll see if I can figure out a charitable donation receipt you can send to the IRS maybe you'll come out ahead. HA HA.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I had not heard about the 460 Rowlad conversion........that would be an awesome hog hunting and bear protection package.

I bet if SA made that a regular item they would sell very well.
Last edited by wm on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have an XDm here waiting for a Rowland conversion if I ever get the cash . . .
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Real steel VS recycled plastic lunchbox, hmmm tough choice.
Is there something the Tupperware toy will do for you that a 1911 won't do.
A cheap, mass produced 1911 may not appreciate in value, but then neither will the Tupperware toy.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man, there's no decision here. I'd take the 1911 ten times over that plastic banana. But then I've been shootin' 'em for 60 years now so they sorta fit my hand. I even like the arched main spring housing over the flat one.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

gundownunder wrote:Real steel VS recycled plastic lunchbox, hmmm tough choice.
Is there something the Tupperware toy will do for you that a 1911 won't do.
A cheap, mass produced 1911 may not appreciate in value, but then neither will the Tupperware toy.
Here is the problem I have.

You like a 1911. That's fine. So do I.
But I get tired of people who are arrogant about their firearm preferences and look down on everything else.

I have my own preferences, but I will not discourage the preferences of others.
This is the pistol I recommend for a carry gun for anyone who asks:

Proven reliability
Shooter is effective with it
Fits the purpose
Fits the shooters preferences

Which pistol is it?
Any one of a number of pistols. It might be a Glock, or it could be a 1911. Maybe the shooter does well with a CZ, or a double action revolver. Maybe the shooter puts thousands of rounds downrange in CAS and prefers a SSA-style revolver.

No one uses a 1911 because it is the most effective pistol on the market. People use a 1911 because they prefer it over other pistols for personal reasons. No one uses a double-action revolver because it is the most effective pistol on the market. They use them because of personal preference. I may give some arguments for why I feel one pistol is more effective than another, but I won't tell someone they have to change their preferences to match mine.

I really like 1911s. I like their history, and I like the way they shoot. I like they way they look. They are easy to disassemble and reassemble. They are great pistols. From my nostalgic side, I would love to carry a 1911. On the practical side, I do not carry a 1911. I carry a polymer framed 9mm pistol. I carry this pistol because:

- I shoot it well. It has sort of unique sights that really work for me. I can shoot very fast and stay on target.
- It carries 18 rounds in a magazine. Since the terminal effect on a target is about the same with most pistol cartridges from 9x19mm up to .45 ACP, and I will tend to shoot the same number of rounds into any given target regardless of the caliber I am using, 9mm makes sense to me. With three spare magazines (two on the belt, one in a pocket mag pouch) I have 72 rounds of ammunition. With a 1911, this would be 21 or 24.
- It points naturally for me
- It carries nicely
- It has proven reliable
- It has a very low bore axis
- A polymer frame is an advantage in cold weather

I have carried a SIG in the past, and an XD. I would be happy carrying either. I prefer the XDM for the shape of the slide which gives a better gripping surface. I would happily carry a CZ or one of its clones. I hate Beretta M9s, for two reasons - I don't shoot them well, and I oppose slide-mounted safeties. I like Jerichos, but unfortunately, US importers again are infatuated with slide safeties. Other people like the M9 and shoot it very well. I still advise people to avoid slide safeties, since they can be dangerous (this goes into the effectiveness issue) bit some are better designed than others (Jericho, for example). I don't particularly care for Glocks, but I shoot them very well, and I would be fine to carry one if I needed to. If I had to carry a 1911, I would. It would not be my first choice at all, for practical reasons. We have more practical options available today.

To say that the XDm is a recycled plastic lunchbox or a tupperware toy sounds like ignorance. The XD pistols are very tough. I inadvertently fired way overpressure .40 S&W loads in one that would have blown a Glock apart, maybe damaged a 1911 or maybe not, and there was no evidence of damage to the XD. Most people shoot XDs very well. I know an instructor who has a very expensive custom 1911. It is finicky about ammo and his XD outshoots it accuracy wise and with every type of ammo he feeds it. He is a Gunsite guy, so he still carries the 1911.
The XD has a higher capacity than the 1911, and no manual safety, or a manual safety, depending on preference. Appreciation is not a concern - it is not an investment for monetary gain, it is an investment in safety and some fun as well.

In our courses, we see more issues with 1911s than any other pistols. Once people really run a 1911 in one of these courses, they often switch to another type of pistol, and never because we tell them they should. If someone prefers to carry a 1911, I never tell them they should not. Sometimes I do recommend that they switch to a less expensive and more reliable 1911, though.

At the end of the day, we balance preference and practicality. Sometimes preference dictates a less practical weapon. Some of you choose a 1911 over a more practical firearm. Some choose a double-action revolver over a semi-auto. I prefer single action revolvers and carry a Ruger Vaquero when I am in the bush, even though a Redhawk would probably be a more practical choice.

We should not fault people for having a different preference, though.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

If you think it is a little hard to conceal and carry a full size 1911 .45 try a holster from CME Holsters. I have one for a 3 inch Taurus 431 .44spl and my grandson has one for a 1911, I have the same one ordered now on the way. I am normal sized for a 75 year old man and a T shirt will cover the holstered firearm without a trace f it showing through. They are easy for all day carry.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I find a full size 1911 easy to conceal and comfortable to carry due to the thin profile. I guess some guys get pinched by the pistol when they sit, bit I don't.

We have a holster that is really great for both comfort and concealment, and even as a skinny guy, I can conceal pretty much any full-size pistol with that holster no problem, and have no issues with comfort. Even with a simple standard IWB holster concealment and comfort are not big issues with a 1911 for most people.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Pretty much that. Never said I couldn't conceal it, I'm just at a point where I have to make choices, and I've already had issues with the brand. That might not be fair, but it factors in. The alternative represents nearly double the firepower in a smaller package that can dish 45 Super straight out of the box. The only real con I've seen here so far is that it's not a 1911, and make no mistake, I'm a slut for stainless 1911s. That said, the tupperware argument is the last of my concerns :)

Though I gotta say, it's interesting. When purchasing the 1911 to begin with, the big thing was not being made in America when asked about the brand. Now it doesn't appear to matter too much, so long as its a 1911 :lol:

Maybe I'll get a Springfield Loaded at a later date, because I definitely agree i need at least one.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

As one who owns nothing but Austrian built tupperware plastic pistols for LE and personal use I say buy the XD and don't look back...the 1911 is a great design, full of nostalgia--BUT in my limited experience "PLASTIC" just works, it's reliable, accurate, and tough. My Glocks will shoot wet, dry, frozen, full of mud/dirt/dusty, driven over, left in salt water, they have 33 parts which are cheap and easy to repair...SELL THE TURKISH 1911.... :)

Check out this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6i3dtytmBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iMChoDie78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llM3SRu0W6g
Glock-26 Gen4.a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.