Hooray! First Colt SAA !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Hooray! First Colt SAA !

Post by Streetstar »

I had been lurking , (browsing various online auction sites , etc. ) for a New Frontier in preferably .45 Colt, but .44 Special would also be nice --- for a month now --- there are plenty on there , just not that meet my economic requirements

------- I do like the idea of the adjustable sights -- plus i like the fact that the New Frontier is essentially the same as a SAA, but much much more affordable in a lot of cases (and , in my mind, a more versatile firearm due to the sights)

Anyway ---- enter this second gen SAA NRA Centennial version i spied while shopping for a firearm for my significant other ------ The original plan was to get her a Smith 642, a Glock 42, and a .22 of some form or fashion for her to train on --- figuring i could always use a .22 , and between the 642 and 42, i would sell the one she didnt cotton to, as she hasnt settled on a platform yet

----- Well, Lucy, I got some 'splainin to do --- I saw this and was able to make a deal !

---- Wife (Rita) is going to have to stick to my Sig 238 and Detective Special a while longer --- she has been running .38 Specials out of my 4 inch Model 66 too

I paid no mind to the Centennial hullabaloo, - I just saw a SAA at a price that was in line with what i had been pricing New Frontiers for, and in the appropriate caliber (.45 Colt)

I thought i had gotten the deal of the century, but later googled it and found out i got a fair deal, but definitely didnt steal it - 10 years ago these guys were pretty cheap - :lol:

--- No matter --- I also choked a bit in 2009 when i paid what i thought was a bit too much for 2 Pythons in very good condition, --- but 5 years later, it seems the sands of time has made that deal ok :) and then some

Side 1

Side 2

inlaid gold NRA centennial script --- I know it adds no value, but my birth year was 1971, --- so i like it

No turn lines

bad pic of the muzzle , but absolutely no discernible wear at the muzzle

I couldnt afford either the Miroku /92 short rifle , or the beautiful Taylors and Co case colored rifle in .45 also at the store , --- but i rest easy knowing i still have this little Model 94 Trapper in .45 as a darn good companion piece for my usage

------and yes -- i fully intend to shoot the heck out of this SAA--- they are not really rare and there are a few of them on GB with wood box and everything for 16-1700 or so --- The mystery to me with this one is where the heck the darn box went -- oh well

I dont know when i get to do a range report with my dang schedule -- but when i do, this will be the first place that hears about it !

I am overdue on range reports anyway ------ there is a Marlin 30/30 youth model from last February that still needs to be wrung out, as well as a .44 Special snub that has only had a few rounds through it since winter to wensure safe operation --- and i will give the Winny .45 another go just to verify function :lol:

Will likely have a couple shotguns and some other things up for sale shortly to pay for this rascal, - but Colts have made me do irrational things in the past
----- Doug
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hooray! First Colt SAA !

Post by wm »

What was it that John Taffin used to say.......you can't spend too much on a Colt SAA, just too early.

Seems like a good investment. I passed on one of those 20 years ago for $300 and have been kicking myself since then
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Neat find. I probably couldn't have passed it up either. Enjoy it!

Eric
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Me likey......... 8)

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Glad you got you one, very nice lookin pistola. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nothing is finer in the gun world than owning at least one colt saa!!!!!
nothing brings more misery than the ones ya let go ( personal experience )

enjoy your new gun!!

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

:) nice.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

wm wrote:...I passed on one of those 20 years ago for $300 and have been kicking myself since then
I couldn't have resisted that! About that time I bought a 7-½" .45 SAA for $650.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks guys ----- I am going to procure some decent leather for this as soon as i can ----- far too often , i have been caught up with aquiring more guns and ammo with little thought given to how i am going to transport them in the field

--- I have a collection of S&W police holsters i have used for carrying my 4" double actions in the field , -- and a few of the Bianchi military holsters for toting around autoloaders, -- but never had anything for anything bigger than that

-- I have done a little bot more internet scrounging around -- these NRA Centennial guns appear to be a bit of a "sleeper" if you can find 'em -- they made them in all barrel lengths and in .357 and .45 -- total numbers reportedly being 1000
-- but having the "commemorative gun curse" --- prices are competitive with 3rd Gen guns if not better ---

The markings are not that obtrusive on the gun , and i am excited to shoot it --- but i'm not going to shoot it at an indoor range -

Since the New Frontier is a catalog item , (as well as the SAA--- either/or for around 1300 bucks and change , but try finding one for that price anywhere) -- I asked the Wichita KS Gun Library guys at Cabelas how long it would take to get one special order, --- they just said that if i saw one and the price wasn't too obnoxious, jump on it if i can, because although they are catalog items, they are sold out months in advance

So i am glad that there are a few like this one out there languishing around in musty, 40 year old boxes and things like that the previous owner was afraid to shoot, thinking it was going to be worth a mint some day , -- their loss, the next owner's gain :)

Regarding Centennials, -- i still have to find a canadian centennial 30/30 ---- 26" full octagon barrel with full mag tube --- heavy sure, but looks like a fun gun to try to do some longer range target dinging with
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had a Winchester NRA Centenniel Model 64 30-30. Nice gun if you find one. Chuck 100 Yd can make you a very nice holster. The ones I got from him have all been quite reasonable. I also like Barranti's work.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Super looking hand cannon.

Very glad for you!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
You done well! :D In my 40+ years of snagging good guns, it has always been, "What are the most desirable guns, Winchesters or Colts?". Well, I am a Winchester man but I'll give you a hint which gun really moves the soul........the single action Colt.

You have just started a lifelong addiction. You will now be setting priorities on how you spend money. Your personal daily driver will now last 15 years instead of 5. You will burn wood to heat the house. Your food will soon become "generic". Vacations?...who needs 'em? Kids?...outta the house at 18.

In the end it will be all worth it...especially when you snag that first nice condition first gen.

You see, there are many, many millions of Winchesters to choose from.......but only so many single action Colts....less than a half mil.------------------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good for you! There is nothing like a real Colt SAA.

I only have one myself. It's a first gen (1910) and in very nice shape. It's bank vault tight and belonged to a good friend. It has a couple little things most wouldn't see that remove its collector value. :cry:
I'm glad cause I wouldn't own it otherwise. It has a colorful history that is documented and signed so that's cool too.
Best part is I can shoot the stupid thing without worry, and that's the best and most enjoyable part of owning a Colt SAA.

Six is right about what it takes to play at his level. I've been into guns my whole life but wow..........that dude is committed........or should be committed. :D
His results speak for themselves though, and he is enjoying life. Rock on man!

Enjoy your Colt Streetstar. Shoot that sucker!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's downright purty. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the Range Report...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

very nice SAA, thanks for sharing...Colts are forever, I'd be happy with a good Detective Special... :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Enjoy your COLT!!! I bought mine in 1959, 5 1/2 inch .45 been loading for it since 1960.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

You really got a keeper there :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks gents!

I truly can't wait to shoot it ! ---- IT passed muster with my wife as well --- i showed it to her and she sorta' rolled her eyes and sighed and said

"Well, at least your not out blowing money at the bars trying to re-capture lost youth " -- LOL

She never asks what something costs, but she usually has a pretty good idea :!:
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jerry, what loads do you use?