45 colt load for hand gun and rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

45 colt load for hand gun and rifle

Post by silverback57 »

i have a 92 45 colt 20 inch and several 45 colt DA/SA handguns, one in 4 inch and 2 inch barrels. i am interested in loading the for both. in general i would prefer to have one load that would perform well that one could shoot from both the handgun and rifle.

my handguns don't handle ruger loads.

i have only been able to get bullseye powder (wish i could get some universal and or 2400) so far.

I have been working up loads 250-260 grain lead rnfp and playing with the RD 454-290.

My most comfortable load with the 250-260 grain bullet is producing 700 fps out of the 2 inch and about 1056 out of the rifle.

I have only been able to get about 550 out of the 290 grain with the two inch. i don't want to push it with the bullseye and want to keep the load comfortable for my girlfriend as well. I haven't had the chance to chrono the 290 out of the rifle yet but i am thinking maybe 900 at best.

All that being said. I am starting to lean towards staying with a 260 grain tumble lube bullet. it seems like it would provide the best compromise.

still i don't know how that 290 grain bullet would perform?

any thoughts.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45 colt load for hand gun and rifle

Post by earlmck »

You aren't giving us much information to work with, silverback. If you only have Bullseye and 2 weights of bullet to work with, and don't want any more recoil than you already have, and the rounds feed fine through the rifle and both revolvers, and you are not unhappy with the accuracy -- you are one lucky fellow and are already there.

I think you are very close in your 900 fps estimate of the velocity you are getting from the rifle and the 290 grain bullet.

You probably have a little room (pressure-wise, keeping to black powder pressure levels) to put in half a grain or so more powder if you want to play around some more with velocity/accuracy with those bullets and your Bullseye.

I personally feel a little nervous using a load which easily has more than enough room for a double-charge of powder. So make sure you are including a visual inspection of the charged cases before seating any bullets.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My favorite .45 Colt general purpose load is 7.1grs Win 231 under a 250 - 255 gr factory type bullet. I use either the Ideal (Lyman) 454190 or the Remington 250 gr lead bullet. Size the cast bullet to .454" for best results.

Simple load, factory equivalent, safe and accurate.

231 is nearly as fast as Bullseye but not quite. I've used many many pounds of it with great success and zero problems.
I've used maybe a pound and a half of Bullseye. Why ..... cos I have an irrational fear of Bullseye.

Seems as if when I was in my mid teens I visited my favorite gun shop and observed a KABOOM'd Colt SAA sitting on the shelf. The cause .... a double charge of Bullseye. That stuck with me like a tattoo on my brain. Irrational cos 231 will do the exact same thing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My favorite 45 Colt loads are in the 200 - 225gr weight range... and have both cast and jacketed that fulfil different needs. And they vary quite a bit on shape, lube grooves in the case of cast, and jacket thickness in the case of jacketed. But, wait, I'm primarily a cowboy shooter, for which neither speed nor a great deal of accuracy is needed. These excel on both counts, regardless of my needs.

Speed & bullet weight are both factors in recoil... not the only two, but... fundamentally the basis of recoil. And increase in either will result in an increase in felt recoil. And, conversely, a decrease will also reduce recoil... On that basis, I routinely use bullets that range in weight from 160 grains to 260, depending on need. And both lead and jacketed bullets... also based on intended use.

I'm not a believer in trying to get a "one-size-fits-all" load... Doing so is ALWAYS a compromise. And seldom are compromises such that you can meet a wide variety of requirements.

Obviously, my "cowboy" loads are not good self-defense loads... but I still dare anyone to stand in front of me... :twisted: My coyote/feral dog loads are also not rated (by me) as worthy of going after hogs.

I'm with Earlmck, it sounds, given your stated desires, that you've arrived.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

thanks to all who responded. I know that a general purpose bullet has its compromises but i am willing to put up with them to keep things simple. That being said, another forum member did a Qucikload calc and yes i would be about at 900 fps out of the rifle. I would also be getting about 800 fps at 100yards. Now, that would suit my current needs as a 290 grain bullet at 800 fps is still a formidable round.

i am currently using a lee breech lock hand loader single stage to work up my loads. I am super careful with my powder charges. i wish i could come across something better than bulls eye but you got to work with whats available.

i still want to do more research on the various bullet weights 250,260,290 to get that sweet spot and see what they will do , real world, before i make a final choice.

looks like much more fun at the range. oh yeah.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
rond
Levergunner

Post by rond »

IMR 4227 is showing up around N Texas and would be an good choice, check out the online retailers.