A Colt Fixer-upper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

A Colt Fixer-upper

Post by jkbrea »

Was scrolling GB for Colts and saw this. Might take a little more than Hoppe's 9! :lol:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =430298779
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Colt Fixer-upper

Post by Streetstar »

Geeezz---- $1400 bucks if it could be traced back to Butch Cassidy maybe ---- this is likely the same guy who tries to sell H&R Topbreaks for $800 , among other things
----- Doug
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

How do you get it, go pick it up? Shipping a loaded gun aint gonna work.
Slow is just slow.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It is being rust blued the hard way. Hard on the gun that is. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote:Geeezz---- $1400 bucks if it could be traced back to Butch Cassidy maybe ---- this is likely the same guy who tries to sell H&R Topbreaks for $800 , among other things
Provenance tying it to Butch Cassidy MIGHT run the price up a bit more than $1349!

I wonder what timeframe it's from?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

How long would it take any firearm to rust and corrode setting in a muddy west Texas river? 10 years? How could you tell if this Colt was a First, Second or even Third generation SAA. First generations were made until 1940, Second 1956-1974, and third 1976 to present. If it was lost in 1974 that is still 40 years in a river. Treating unknown items as valuable. Give me a break.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Might be good questions to ask the seller. "How do you know it's a Colt?" Could be a Great Western or some other flavor. A rusty Uberti can't be worth nearly as much.

Looks like two piece grips. Screw hole maybe on one side… looks like a screw in the x-ray. Neat find. I'd pay upwards of two hundred for it if it was a Colt.
Slow is just slow.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Somebody ought to check with rangerider7 to make sure somethin' ain't missin from his collection.

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

If the owner was carrying his Colt style single action with all 6 chambers loaded he was luckier to have lost it in the mud before he accidentally shot himself with it.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AkRay wrote:If the owner was carrying his Colt style single action with all 6 chambers loaded he was luckier to have lost it in the mud before he accidentally shot himself with it.
I agree, but that is the heart of Comanche country...if the revolver is indeed from that time period, the carrier probably figured the risk was acceptable.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle