.38 Special "brass"??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

.38 Special "brass"??

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I was just given 20 boxes of once fired .38 special cases but I don't really know what they are. The cases are non-magnetic, copper colored and have no headstamp. They are all packed neatly in yellow WW boxes that are marked on the end with the caliber and unprimed cases GQ7145C. I don't know if these are the boxes they originally came in. I just deprimed about a gallon of dirty .38 cases and am cleaning them up and am now looking at these. I didn't know if I should go on and deprime, clean and size & prime these or trash them. Anyone know what I have here?

Edit: The primer has a red sealer applied around it and they deprime with little effort so the pocket isn't swaged as in military brass. I don't believe these have ever been reloaded and they haven't been cleaned as they still have a little smoke/soot around their mouth.
Last edited by Hawkeye2 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .38 Special "brass"??

Post by Pete44ru »

My $0.02:

It could be that the cases have been chemically (over) cleaned with something that de-zincified the brass, leaving only copper.

If it is a surface effect only, they will reload ok.

You said that they're not magnetic, so I would polish one of them and see if the copper buffed off, to reveal sound brass.

If it did, load and shoot.
If not, discard.

IDK about there being no headstamp - maybe part of a lunchpail bunch of some ammo factory's brass ?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Air America issued aluminum framed S&W's to thier aircrews, could be the ammo they used.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... 1st - are they balloon-head cases?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

They are solid head cases. These aren't antique. Copper color inside too. That could be a copper wash like I have seen on Russian steel cases. If they were aluminum why would anyone bother with a copper wash?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Stud-driver cases..??
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd try them with some light loads and see how they do. If all is well I'd shoot 'em till they split.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Inconsistent data here:

1. If the cases are unfired, how come there is soot around the necks?

2. If the cases are primed, how come the boxes say unpimed?

My best guess is they are former USGI "sterile" ammo and/or cases. The red stuff is sealant to waterproof the primer. The boxes may not be original, original but just packed in what was available because labeling didn't matter, or deliberately misleading in the case of sterile ammo.

Weight a couple and compare the weight to other brass 38 Special cases. That will tell you if they are brass or copper washed aluminum. Aluminum cases will be noticeable lighter.

If you don't want them, I will give you a pittance plus shipping for them, just for the fun of solving the mystery.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I wonder if they are some old 38 S&W cases?

Measure them and compare the measurements to both the 38 S&W and the 38 Spec'l.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:Stud-driver cases..??
This.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

.38 special stud driver cases?? :shock:

My original post says once fired. The boxes are what my friend (deceased) received them in from another shooter. I expect if they were military the primer would be crimped in place as well as being sealed, they aren't. Over a lifetime I have heard far too many easily debunked gun show stories (tanker Garands, Black Widow Lugers, sterile Polish Mausers ad nausem) :roll: to swallow much of that, won't discount it though. I haven't weighed any yet but will when I get a chance to dig out my scales. I did pick up 5 and compared them with 5 brass shells with no detectable difference if I could even feel the difference.

Charles thanks for the offer but I really don't know what I could do with a pittance or even two, care to offer Zlotys? :lol: I will let everyone know if I solve the mystery.

No they are not .38 S&W, they are .38 special, big difference.

They cleaned up well without removing any of the copper color and next I'll have to see if a standard primer fits, probably should have done that first. If nothing else I may be able to drill them out to use with wax loads.

I wonder if they aren't cheap Chinese or Russian.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Hawkeye2 wrote:.38 special stud driver cases?? :shock:
Yes, there are such things..

Or possibly for a captive bolt gun used in slaughter houses..?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

What is the head stamp on them? OOPs ... just reread ... "no head stamp"
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

.38 stud driver cases, I'm sure there's plenty of material to work with here if you have a sense of humor.

I was able to learn a little more of their history today. I got a few more boxes of these cases and learned that they had been given to a friend in the WW boxes by a person who at the time was employed by H&K. He in turn passed them along to the friend whose estate I got them from. The H&K employee had also given him a lot of .45 ACP once fired cases but these all had head stamps and were assorted brands of regular US made ammo.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Hawkeye2 wrote:.38 stud driver cases, I'm sure there's plenty of material to work with here if you have a sense of humor.
Don't let ignorance get the better of you... you are the one who posed the question in the first place...
:roll:
Regards

Buck

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Hawkeye2 wrote:.38 stud driver cases, I'm sure there's plenty of material to work with here if you have a sense of humor.
Don't let ignorance get the better of you... you are the one who posed the question in the first place...

Buck, the line was meant as subtle humor in itself. I'm not sure I appreciate the reference to ignorance on my part.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hawkeye2 wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:
Buck, the line was meant as subtle humor in itself. I'm not sure I appreciate the reference to ignorance on my part.
"Ignorance" ain't anything except a lack of knowledge... fully curable if one listens... it's stupidity that's nigh onto permanent. I would guess that we're saying, don't cross the line between the two... this is a "family" forum for many of us. Which I take to mean, that I'd prefer to be the one to tell my wife and kid jokes I'd beat the snot outta some other fellar for tellin' 'em.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I had intended my remark to enlighten some to the potential for some humor there and allow them to use their imagination. Apparently even that was over the line and I do offer an apology to each and all for that. I stand corrected and humbly say I am sorry. This is a fantastic forum, a great group who are always willing to go out of their way to help anyone on almost any subject and I do not wish to upset that. It is actually the first place I go with my morning coffee in hand and am always sure I will find something if interest even if it is not of the topic of leverguns.

Buck, I read your statement and felt I was being called ignorant because of my lack of knowledge of stud drivers in larger calibers and I was quite upset by that. I do admit I am unfamiliar with them and I do suppose that equates to ignorance. I have read and reread your post and I still see it that way though I could be misinterpreting it. From what I have seen of you over the years you are a pretty much tell it as it is guy and I'm not asking for an apology nor do I even expect one, If I read it wrong just tell me and I would be the one guilty of stepping on your boots.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hawkeye2,
Don't beat yourself up too bad.
I have shot a lot of fasteners into different materials and have never seen anything larger than rimfire.
Even when I was a kid in Germany, the local butcher used a cylindrical device that propelled a spike into the cranium of the slaughter animal.
It was propelled by a rimfire.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

With the enlarged flash hole, I wonder if some reenactment/movie prop group didn't have them made up for BP blanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Please disregard this thread. I had started to resurect it and then changed my mind. I thought it had disappeared when I deleted my post but I see it came back. Here is the new discussion: Post subject: Copper .38 Special cases