Scope for savage 99

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Scope for savage 99

Post by JeffG »

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my eyes...but in the meantime I'm trying to get a clearer scope. Right now I have a Redfield Widefield 4x mounted which has served me fine, but I'm looking for better low-light visibility, and some magnification. I tried a Nikon 4-12 x 40 which put the sight line too high.. so what are you vastly more experienced fellas using on your 99s?
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
Hobie

Re: Scope for savage 99

Post by Hobie »

JeffG wrote:Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my eyes...but in the meantime I'm trying to get a clearer scope. Right now I have a Redfield Widefield 4x mounted which has served me fine, but I'm looking for better low-light visibility, and some magnification. I tried a Nikon 4-12 x 40 which put the sight line too high.. so what are you vastly more experienced fellas using on your 99s?
I think that a lower power scope is more suitable. That's just me I guess...

Just how "low-light" do you need? I ask because it seems to me that I can see well enough well BEFORE or AFTER legal daylight with very run-of-the-mill scopes.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have a Burris compact 2X7 on my 99. I have to caution you - a short scope is a pain to mount on the 99. I got the compact scope because it was the best weight and balance for the rifle. I used the lowest rings possible. Well, if you use the two piece bases, there is not enough room on the scope for the ring spacing. I had to get a front extension ring and machine it myself to make it work. There is no room at all for the scope to move in either direction, changing the eye relief. I was very lucky that right where the scope fell is the eye relief I needed. So - whatever you chose, especially in trying to mount it as low as possible, you need a scope that is at least 11.75 inches overall length. Additionally, you will have more flexibility using a one piece base.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I have an older Leupold M7 4x scope with a post and crosshair reticle on my 99EG (300 Sav) in Leupold 1 pc mounts. Still works great after all these years.
Well done is better than well said.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have a 2.5x7 Bushnell 3200 on a Browning Abolt in 270. I have had no complaints in low light. I haven't hunted with it much since I got my 356, but it has kept it's zero during some pretty rough handling. Just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Same situation as 86er.. very little room to shift my Leupold 1.5-5 scope forward in the mounts due to where the hole spacing on the frame places the rear mount... Lucky for me it sits almost dead where I want it..and fits behind the rear sight..
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Leupold 2X7 by 32.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Well thankyou all...sounds like I should just stick with my redfield, which comes up just right every time. The low light issue was not huge, I think the brighter view I was after was the product of a larger objective lens (50mm Luepold) that someone was showing off to me, but it's too high for the 99's.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This is the 2nd scope I've had on my 99. First one was Weaver 2.5X with straight tube.

This scope is a (made in Japan) TASCO 4X compact from the early '80's. Also a straight tube. Bases and rings are two piecce Weaver for low mounting.

I've hunted elk and mulies with this rifle in some very severe weather conditions but neither scope failed me. 4X seems perfect for this .308 outfit.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!