Cataract replacement lens

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Cataract replacement lens

Post by williamranks »

I go in late in the month for the surgery and have a question.
The replacement lenses are single focus, near or far. The doctor left it up to me to choose.
Far focus would be good for driving but I'll still need glasses to read the gauges on the dash. Near is good for reading and computer but I'll still need progressive glasses for everything else.
Who's done which and would you do it again?
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Cataract replacement lens

Post by Old Ironsights »

Who is doing it?

FWIW, as someone who has spent a LOT of time in the offices/surgeries of "Leaders in the Field", there is a lot to be said about doing both eyes, one "near" and the other "far".

BUT, for me, if that was not an option, I'd go with "Far" and get Readers for Near.

After TEOTWAWKI, and broken/lost glasses, I'd rather be able to shoot than read...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I had both eyes done, a few weeks apart from each other, about 2 years ago.

Before I had the (painless) surgery, I required bifocals - although I always have (and still do) hunt w/o glasses (or scopes, for the most part).

After the surgeries, I no longer need a distance lens at all, and my reading Rx was reduced to approx 1.75x.

I was never informed about any "near" or "far" focus options/differences in my implants.

The other major difference, I found, is that all the colors I see have changed in appearance from a duller/faded color (which I never noticed as being so, before the surgeries) to bright/sharp colors.

Color me as being a happy camper...........

boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Hi Bill,
Had both eyes done a year ago.
Just like Pete said"painless"' no more washed out colors, CLEAR vision.
I use 1.5 and 1.75 reading glasses for reading only.
I do not need them to see the gauges when driving. You will be at least 20 inches away from them.
The great thing is I can see when I get up in the morning.
No reason for concern.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Several years ago I had both eyes done "far".
After a lifetime of wearing glasses all the time, I no longer have to to do daily functions like TV & driving.

I wear reading glasses when I need to read.
Denis
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

My wife had both eyes done in the early 90's, both far and she has had no trouble to date. Her sister had both eyes done in the late 80's; she had one far lens and one near lens implanted (I don't know why) and hasn't had any trouble either. My wife wears glasses to read and her sister wears corrective lenses too.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Two years ago they told me I was in the very early stage of getting cataracts....Is there always a lens replacement that goes along with this?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I just had my left eye done 2 weeks ago. Cataracts were so bad I was about 70% blind in that eye. I get the right eye done Tuesday. I got the ReStor lens (http://www.worldclasslasik.com/cataract ... stor-lens/) and both near and far objects are in focus. The down side is the cost. With medicare the procedure for both eyes will cost about $7000 out of pocket.
OLBIKER
Levergunner 1.0

Post by OLBIKER »

My Wife had hers done with lenses that are for both close and far.I think they are called Crystelx.They cost $5,000 and had a $1,000 rebate.She does not need glasses for anything anymore.When mine were done ,they did one near and the other far.I dont need glasses for driving or shooting ,but if I read small print,I need them.I actually asked to have them both for far,but my DR. did what he wanted to do.I was not happy with him.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

There is only one FDA approved accommodating lens being sold in the USA, that's the Bausch & Lomb Crystalens. I had them put in both eyes in June of this year. This lens works like your actual eye does by allowing the eye to change focus from near to far. If you are a shooter and need to focus on your sight and then the target, you need a lens that will give you both intermediate vision and distance vision. The Crystalens will do this without having to move your head up and down to change focus. No other lens does this in this manner. They are not cheap. It will cost around $2800 per eye to get it done on top of what your insurance or medicare already pays. If you get monovision lenses put in your eyes you will have to decide if you want your focal point to be either near of far. You can't do both. You will have to wear glasses to allow you to see at other distances. Most people get the non-dominant eye lens set for intermediate and the dominant eye set for distance. Your brain will neuroadapt without concious thought and you will see both close and far as long as you are looking with both eyes (something you aren't doing when shooting since you are then only using your dominant eye to sight with). Spend the time with the eye doctor so that you clearly understand how each type of lens works and explain to him what your requirements are. FYI, it is a painless surgery. Good luck.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Big thank you to all of you.
I'll go in this week for a talk on which lens.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein