Mossberg 402/Western Field M865A .22 S/L/LR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hanz
Levergunner

Mossberg 402/Western Field M865A .22 S/L/LR

Post by Hanz »

Before I get too crazy, does anyone have experience with these and are they generally reliable? This one is a double feeding monster.

Thanks,

Doug
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I've had a 865 since '67 and shot probably six+ bricks a year for years. Not a problem with LR or Longs. Shorts had issues when I loaded more than 12 or something in the mag.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Hanz
Levergunner

Post by Hanz »

Poohgyrr,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the reply!

Someone gave me one to "look at". The original complaint was that the action would stop short and not cycle through its full range. I opened the side cover and found the firing pin retaining pin and walked out of the bolt a bit. I pushed it back and set it into place and the action once again has its full range of motion. I tried it with a single .22LR with the cover off and it fed, chambered, extracted and ejected just fine. I loaded three and that's when the real troubles began. No matter how slowly, or quickly I work the lever it releases two rounds out of the magazine tube. No wonder it has so very little wear and is like new inside :wink:

I may be able to get it to function by stoning or filing one of the parts but I can't do that until I speak with the carbine's owner next week. Maybe I'll just call Mossberg tomorrow and see if they want to take a look at it. Something tells me this one never functioned correctly.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Hanz,

Thanks and yup. Only problem I've had was caused by me - I dry fired enough to break the firing pin. I paid the gunsmith to fixit and haven't done that since.

The rifle is more accurate than I ever was, worked well for plinking and hunting (rabbits & squirrels) and pest control.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt