Reloading tools?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Reloading tools?

Post by mikld »

I would think reloading tool/equipment manufacturers would machine their own dies and most tools, mebbe outsource casting, and purchase some parts to be sold under their name, but what about shell holders? Does each manufacturer machine their own shell holders? Or are they manufactured by a jobber and sold under a manufacturer's name? Seems like it would make better business sense to have them made by a jobber/machine shop...

I have a couple dozen shell holders and actually can't tell the difference except most have a size number stamped on them, and different size of course...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading tools?

Post by mikld »

None of the extremely knowledgeable reloaders know? I'm disappointed... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I was hoping you'd get a knowledgeable answer, mikld, so I would learn something also. I have great gobs of shell holders of all ages since I never throw anything away. One thing that has changed over the years is that now all of them have the little relief groove that will let a bulged primer go in the shell holder: years ago some brands didn't have that groove and it could be a pain.

Oops, come to think of it, I don't know that all brands have the relief groove: I haven't acquired a Redding shell holder... maybe ever. So I don't know about them. Fact is, since Lee started selling their nice little box of (almost all you'll ever need) shell holders I haven't needed anything else.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK, I'll chime in.....Like Earl, I seldom throw anything away, and if I do, its junk.

I must have 50-75 shellholders laying around and each brand is slightly different as to cosmetics and sometimes to tolerences. That leads me to believe that each manufacturer makes their own shellholders.

Another thing I know is that about 95% of shellholders are hardened steel and are very hard to drill into or machine a groove into the area where a high primer can slide through as is common on some of the older shellholders. As there are times when I NEED an oddball shellholder and they are either not made or I don't feel like waiting the week for it to arrive, I'll rework one of my duplicates. You have to heat them up, let them cool slowly....then make your cuts.....then reheat and quench.-----------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I believe they are all made by the makers who put their names on them.
RCBS,Lee ,Lyman,Redding, etc. I have a bunch also and the early ones don`t follow any rhyme (SP?) or reason in their numbering system unless you have the makers application chart. :?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My one trip to Oroville, I arrived a little late in the day for a tour... but, they got this big machine shop out back for something! :twisted: As we al should be aware, some of their products are from offshore, and I suspect their casting & forgings are either jobbed out or done in a different plant.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Griff, one thing for sure....it sure is easy spotting your posts with that humongous thing-a-am-jig that you call a signature line. Dang, I can print that out and use it for a 1,000 yard bullseye. :D
(Sure glad you live far away, with all of this ball bustin on my part, I'm sure you owe me a few taps on the head when we do meet up!)-------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

I'm sure we can all agree that it is way too late to standardize the shellholder numbers but wouldn't that be nice?
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you click on that humongous BUTTON, it takes you to an informative site about the 2014 elections that may be of interest to gun owners. I'll see what can be done about downsizing it, if it's offensive to you... or not! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!