Anybody thinking about a Glock?t

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody thinking about a Glock?t

Post by Rusty »

I saw this today and thought it was pretty cool. I doubt there's another manufacturer out there that operates like this.

Had a great experience visiting Glock in Smyrna, GA today. Very similar to what others have said. Met at the gate by security, no appointment necessary. Told them we wanted armorer service and they waved us through the gate and asked us to park. Provided ID and unloaded guns inside the guard shack, was given visitor badges and our guns were zip tied open. They sent us down to the armorer shop, where we were met by two very friendly armorers at the door. With paperwork in hand, they asked us what we would like done. We wanted overall inspection and upgrade on 2 and refinishing on the 3rd. They suggested extended slide lock and extended mag release for two of our guns, and one already had the aftermarket stuff. They gave us brand new mags on two, and said the 3rd (which is going to be shipped back after refinishing) would have new mags included in the box as well. The current wait on refinishing is 2-3 months. They do it in house now, they said for quality control reasons. It was 45$ for refinish if just the slide, or 60$ for slide and barrel. Overall, awesome customer service and I would encourage anyone within driving distance to drop by. One of our 3 guns shot really well already, but they said they would look at it just because I happen to have it with me. Turned out it needed a recoil spring and a couple of other parts. They cleaned it up and we waited 35 min roughly for both refurbs. On a side note, there was no gift shop and we got no free Glock swag.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Anybody thinking about a Glock?t

Post by Panzercat »

Glocks never seem to do anything for me. It feels how it looks, that is to say plastic.
About the only reason I'd even think about one would be for 10mm, and even then I'd probably want a 1911 build or something else.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Love my G30S....(thanks Mike J.) Only-ist thing is all these double stack mags require a thumb of steel, or that stupid tool...(I need the tool) It's ok, I have two HiCap and Three Regular....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My thinking about Glocks is that they're a soul-less tool, as are IMO all the other plastic-fantastic guns.

I've never been the type to mis-treat a firearm, like throwing one under a vehicle seat, etc.

I prefer my firearms to be more than that, like eye candy to enjoy when I'm not shooting it. (YMMV, of course)

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well, it took me a while to warm up to them too, but I'm coming around.

I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Took me a while as well, so Last year I got three of em, two 10s and 9. I have shot em a lot, and have found that they can really shoot well, they run well, are light to carry, don't scratch, and are ugly. I have not yet managed to jam one.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have had a couple in .40 and one in .45. Just never seemed to warm up to them. They are easier to pack than a 1911, but a 1911 "talks" to me. The Glock is mute.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

octagon wrote:Took me a while as well, so Last year I got three of em, two 10s and 9. I have shot em a lot, and have found that they can really shoot well, they run well, are light to carry, don't scratch, and are ugly. I have not yet managed to jam one.
Same here. I never thought I would like a tupperware gun. But now I have a 17, 26, and 21. Love them and the Just Right carbine I bought that accepts the 9mm Glock magazines.
I've yet to had a misfeed in any of my Glocks, which is more than I can say for other well known brands that cost twice as much.
They are definitely not pretty, but that is not what my Glocks are for.
Last week I finally broke down and bought a .22 LR conversion kit for my G17. Now if .22 prices would just become semi-reasonable again!!!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They're not the best looking guns, but I have others for the beauty pagents. As far as tools that work, I think it's hard to beat a Glock. I've had several over the years, 17, 19, 22, 23, 36, but my favorite of all of them is my new G42. Very impressed with this little 380 so far. I put another 100 rounds through mine on Monday, and it's been flawless. Shoots like a full size gun, but packs and conceals so easy in my Alien Gear holster.
NRA Life Member
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

I've owned four and still have two, both in 10mm. Except for my wife, kids, grandkids, few relatives and a couple friends, nothing "talks to me" - for which I am grateful. So, unencumbered with romance, I've found the Glock pistols to be reliable, durable, accurate, and easy to use. I like my revolvers for hunting and self-defense, but if I were to go into combat, for real - with multiple guys shooting back and rugged conditions - I'd carry a Glock. In my opinion it is the most simple to use, reliable handgun every made - period. Yeah, its ugly (which can be part of its appeal), and yeah its plastic (but not the plastic we grew up with), but it fires every time you pull the trigger, regardless of conditions or maintenance, and that is worth something. Oh, and compared to mostly functional 1911s or the very expensive and reliable Sig, it is inexpensive. In fact, a Glock will rival the price of a good Smith or Ruger in my part of the country.

BTW, I have a good Gransfors Bruks camp hatchet, but leave it home and take my Estwing camp axe, simply because it works nearly as well and the handle will never come loose. And if anything gets close to stirring me, its a good hand forged axe, but in the end it just a tool. And when I pick a tool to make a job easier, or do it better, nothings stirs me like results. Folks can belittle the Glock all they want, calling it Tupperware, etc., but it won't let you down when its needed - it is a good tool.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I am not against Glocks, I just do not like them. Only one of the ones I have shot had any apreal for me and that was a 36. For you guys that love them more power to ya. I am sticking to the 1911 that I have had for about 15 years, over which time I have shot between 500 and 2000 rounds a year of every thing from light cast loads to hardball(the real stuff), JHP +p loads and have never had a function or accuracy issue other than a couple of surplus mags that have failed. I clean it regularly, every 3 or 4 months.Don't know how long it will last, but as it is a Remington Rand pistol it was built about 40 years before the first Glock.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I prefer my 1911, but I do have a Glock. Good points, bad points, and things in between. I need to get a new slide for my 1911 from the manufacturer just to have one that is milled for adjustable sights. My eyes are not what they were even 5 years ago. Too much time in front of a computer.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a 19 a few weeks ago and it shoots like a match pistol. Very little recoil and accurate. I liked it so much I bought a 26 yesterday.

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've only fired one Glock and that was several years ago. I have no opinion, either good nor bad about this gun, as I haven't given one a good workout. But, my impression of them is it's a handgun meant for military or police where it will be used by non-gun type people; people who do not shoot or own handguns that aren't familiar with the basics of handgun care and shooting. Extra high capacity mags? For inaccurate new shooters? ("Plan on missing a lot?"). Nuttin' to remember or practice, just pick it up and pull the trigger...

No offense to any Glock fans intended...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Spaxspore
Levergunner

Post by Spaxspore »

Panzercat wrote:Glocks never seem to do anything for me. It feels how it looks, that is to say plastic.
About the only reason I'd even think about one would be for 10mm, and even then I'd probably want a 1911 build or something else.

+1 same here. They feel mass produced with little soul. I heard they are great.. and i shot a glock 19 before. No complaints.. but i like some personality to my firearms.

Hard to go wrong with a quality 1911.

Heck even the m9/m92A1 has more personality!

LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

Have a bad place on my shooting hand & the Glock grip won't work for me. Other than that the Glock is good for that which designed.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The Glock is what it is, a light weight, reasonably, accurate, reliable handgun for anti-personal use. Trying to make it something else or comparing it to other types of firearms makes no sense.

I keep two of them for the above purpose. I don't love them, hate them, admire them or hold them in disdain. I just use them for what they are and they are darn good at that job.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have a 20 and a 29 , and have had a 21 (20 and 29 being the 10mm's and a 21 being a .45 )

I dont shoot 'em much, - although they shoot really well for me ----

I still havent come around to the trigger safety idea --- i still leave mine un-chambered when packing --- The SIG 220 has no safety either, but it has a looong DA only first stroke to cock the action , that i like

But the Glock made the most affordable 10mm platform -- and they are certainly capable bullet hurlers when i do my part --- very chunky grip design though
I have a big beefy bear paw, with shorter fingers -- they're not stubby fingers, just not as big as my paw would suggest they should be, -- so i find the standard frame 29 i have to be a little bit of a reach to the trigger for me, but my SF (short frame) model 20 is perfect --- but again, these are the largest frame guns Glock makes, - the sizes for the 40, 9mm and 357 sig are smaller still --- but still, i can see where smaller built men or women shooters could find them to be a handful
----- Doug
Spaxspore
Levergunner

Post by Spaxspore »

nothing wrong with a glock; nor the folks that have one/want one. They are just not my cup of tea. I may own one .. one day.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yeah.. i "thought about" one for a few seconds, then recovered my senses and went happily on my way without one.

I have handled Glocks, shot Glocks and made holsters for Glocks, disassembled and cleaned Glocks, and I will never own a Glock..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Spaxspore,

I have a twin of your Commander. It's a great shooter.

I've always carried a 1911 of one flavor or another but have settled on the LW Commander.
I never owned a Glock or cared to but I got a great deal on a NIB 21SF from a guy at work so I bought it. I had no intention of shooting or keeping it but figured I could re-sell or trade it for something. When I got it home the kids saw it and wanted to try it so relented. I still have it. It sits on my nightstand with a TLR-1 mounted and works well in that role. That said, it is simply miserable to carry. I carry IWB and a Glock 21 is almost twice as wide as a 1911. I find a spare magazine rather rotund also.
My son is a Glock guy and shoots IDPA with them. He told me to try his 19 but I found it too just feels "fat".

I like Glocks ok and they shoot and work good, but they can't compare with my LW Commander for a carry gun..........and besides, my Colt is way more classy. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

Streetstar wrote:
I still havent come around to the trigger safety idea --- i still leave mine un-chambered when packing ---
That part is different. I have a S&W MP Compact 9 without a safety or mag safety. I do carry the thing with a hot chamber. I don't fear except for being careful when holstering.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I still like my 30 year old Beretta 92,not a Glock fan but then... I never owned one so I can't say.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Buck Elliott wrote:Yeah.. i "thought about" one for a few seconds, then recovered my senses and went happily on my way without one.

I have handled Glocks, shot Glocks and made holsters for Glocks, disassembled and cleaned Glocks, and I will never own a Glock..
I feel the same way about Sig. They cost twice as much and are the only brand of firearm I've ever owned that had a complete failure to fire. The factory couldn't or wouldn't fix it after 2 trips to the custom shop. Never had a Glock fail me yet, even after thousands and thousands of rounds through them.

People get all hung up on the "no Safety" thing...the have a trigger safety, a drop safety and a firing pin safety. No different than carrying revolver, only it's faster to reload.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

vancelw wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:Yeah.. i "thought about" one for a few seconds, then recovered my senses and went happily on my way without one.

People get all hung up on the "no Safety" thing...the have a trigger safety, a drop safety and a firing pin safety. No different than carrying revolver, only it's faster to reload.

A double action trigger on a revolver is a different animal than the 5 lb Glock trigger--- one with an optional "NY trigger" would be comparable to a revolver possibly
----- Doug
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Streetstar wrote:
vancelw wrote:

A double action trigger on a revolver is a different animal than the 5 lb Glock trigger--- one with an optional "NY trigger" would be comparable to a revolver possibly
Both triggers are double action and neither will go off if you keep your finger off of it until you're ready to shoot. Not trying to pick a fight. I just don't understand the irrational fear that a Glock will shoot by itself. I've heard lots of comments in the past (mostly by LEOs) about seeing someone nearly shoot themselves with a Glock.....just keep your finger off the trigger! I think a lot of people have a bad habit of "testing" the safety by putting pressure on the trigger....bad habit.

Of course, I feel like the safest gun I have is my Ruger Single-six. It's what I use if I'm on horseback for sure. It's only going to go off if I cock it and press the trigger, and then it's only going to go off once.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It does appear that a lot of the dislike of Glock comes down to their grip. I can shoot mine reasonably well, but I hate the grip. As Kahr advertises, it is a block. For those with smaller palms and longer fingers, it is apparently more comfortable.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

vancelw wrote:
...the have a trigger safety, a drop safety and
Actually Vance, that statement is a redundancy. The safety in the trigger is the drop safety. That's it's only function.

I too love the class of blue steel and figured wood. A 1911, Colt Single Action Army, Smith Hand Ejector. *sigh*

You can't beat those, in my opinion, for beauty and grace.

I love my Glocks for functionality.

I know some people have made them rust: I can't.

I know they've broken and malfunctioned for some people: Never for me.

When it comes down to life saving, when I really can't have a malfunction Glocks to it better, longer and with more dependability.

I used to think they were ugly, then I saw the Ruger LCR. Yikes!

Cat
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I don't mind the Glocks so much, I've played with a few, but after using 1911's for 30 + years I feel better armed with my commander in .45. I have a hankering for a foul weather gun, I,m thinking a Glock M20 would be a nice trail gun, the ones I've used shot real nice. I hope momma gets the hint what I want for fathers day.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

No , but I am kinda wanting an S&W 629 4" again to replace the one I sold a couple years ago !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Catshooter wrote:
vancelw wrote:
...the have a trigger safety, a drop safety and
Actually Vance, that statement is a redundancy. The safety in the trigger is the drop safety. That's it's only function.

Cat
Not according to Glock...

http://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I don't want to admit it, but i've been looking at a Glock 30s pretty hard lately. It's currently in finalist running with an XDm45 for a double stack conceal .45. I'm not a huge fan of the ergos, but somebody makes a very good point about glocks vs guns with grip safeties... You don't know how what position you're going to be able to fire from when it's all said and done. Dang you, logic! And it carries an extra round in both mag configurations. I like my athetics, but I'm not blind to tactical advantage either.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Glocks are the only handguns I own...no need for others...I have personally seen Glocks, in the past 4 years, protect the life of two LEO's I know, they worked and worked well when called into real-time...they may be plastic, blocky, ugly, not you cup of tea, but for me they're a great choice... :)
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

If you get along with it, a Glock 20 is a nice trail gun. As far as no 'soul' and feeling mass produced, well I guess we all have our preferences. A Colt 1911 or Beretta 92 are mass produced firearms as well. I like all kinds of different handguns, but if you gave me 30 seconds to pick one centerfire handgun that I had to live with for the rest of my life, it would be that Glock 20. I guess in the end that says a great deal about the utility the Glock holds for me.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Has anyone put one of those Mec Tec carbine units on top of their Glock???
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Glock seemed to come on the scene at a very opportune time. They came around when most American law enforcement agencies were wanting to make the switch from revolvers to semi automatic handguns. The fact that they were like a double action revolver in that they had no manual safety to contend with was a plus. I have kind of had a problem in the past with the 9mm in that after making the switch it looks like you basically have a 15 shot .38 Special. Now a lot of agencies have gone to the .40 S&W. This appears to be equal to the old .38-40. It seems a better way to go.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

UncleBuck wrote:Has anyone put one of those Mec Tec carbine units on top of their Glock???
MMMmmmm... 10mm caaaarbiiiine.... :o
BNot a lot on them, but the accuracy doesn't strike me as spectacular... But that's more a function of the upper, not the glock lower.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Another real fine attribute of the Glock is the speed in which you can field strip one for cleaning. They come apart in just a few seconds and go back together just as easy.
Funny, it sounds like you have to be a fan of one or the other (1911 or Glock) I have both and use both, with the 10 mil Glock getting the nod at the ranch for hard use doing chores without worrying about scratching up my nice 1911. The Colt comes out when the neighbors drop by for some fun shooting smiley faces on the cacti.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Homer wrote:I've owned four and still have two, both in 10mm. Except for my wife, kids, grandkids, few relatives and a couple friends, nothing "talks to me" - for which I am grateful. So, unencumbered with romance, I've found the Glock pistols to be reliable, durable, accurate, and easy to use. I like my revolvers for hunting and self-defense, but if I were to go into combat, for real - with multiple guys shooting back and rugged conditions - I'd carry a Glock. In my opinion it is the most simple to use, reliable handgun every made - period. Yeah, its ugly (which can be part of its appeal), and yeah its plastic (but not the plastic we grew up with), but it fires every time you pull the trigger, regardless of conditions or maintenance, and that is worth something. Oh, and compared to mostly functional 1911s or the very expensive and reliable Sig, it is inexpensive. In fact, a Glock will rival the price of a good Smith or Ruger in my part of the country.

BTW, I have a good Gransfors Bruks camp hatchet, but leave it home and take my Estwing camp axe, simply because it works nearly as well and the handle will never come loose. And if anything gets close to stirring me, its a good hand forged axe, but in the end it just a tool. And when I pick a tool to make a job easier, or do it better, nothings stirs me like results. Folks can belittle the Glock all they want, calling it Tupperware, etc., but it won't let you down when its needed - it is a good tool.

+ 100 !!!
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

every 1911 i have ever had talked to me all right.....in fact it stuttered quite often........ a virtue not shared by my soul less glocks and HKs and Sigs.

for guns with soul i have SAAs, lever guns, S&W revolvers. for pure ' you bet your life' use, i have glocks, sigs, Hks, M4s, etc.

i dont get confused about the purposes of either group.
cable
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

There is a whole lot of truth in the old saying: It's your Colt Single Action Armys & Winchester 64s that your show your friends. It's your Glock you show your enemies.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes . . . :)

Cat
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Catshooter wrote:There is a whole lot of truth in the old saying: It's your Colt Single Action Armys & Winchester 64s that your show your friends. It's your Glock you show your enemies.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes . . . :)

Cat
well put !
cable