I can be stupid, too

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

I can be stupid, too

Post by Bill in Oregon »

In February 2012, I had a double lumbar fusion.
I slowly healed and all was well, but then about six months ago I started having back pain again. So I was referred for physical therapy and core strengthening.
This went pretty well, and the therapist hounded me to remember that for all to go well from here on out, I needed to think before lifting, and keep buns and abs locked tight, no twisting.
Soooooo .... about 10 days ago I had to wrestle the lawn mower into the back of the truck. OK, fine, ran in to town and mowed the lawns on the two rentals we just bought. No worries.
Until I stopped to check the mail on the way home. Stepped out of the truck and left leg, on fire, nearly collapsed. Ten out of 10 electric pain out the left hip, down the leg and across the foot.
MRI yesterday confirmed I blew the disc just above the two fused ones. So I am looking at surgery.
Guys, if you have healthy backs, keep them that way. Think before you lift. Don't lift and turn.
This goes triple for those who already have dicey backs.
Don't be stupid like me.

:cry:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I can be stupid, too

Post by Pete44ru »

You have my best thoughts for at least a partial recovery, Bill.

FWIW, my Green-Eyed-Monster (wife) is currently having back pain issues also.

We consulted with a surgeon about her MRI a few days ago, and he explained her injuries (multiple fractured discs, all self-healed except one).

You post rings a bell - her surgeon said that when a disc (or disc's) is repaired (they now use a kind of spinal cement to stabilize a collapsed/fractured disc), while the repared discs will be OK, their stability will eventually set up the next weakest of the remaining discs for failure. :shock:

While my wife needs to go on a calcium regimen for osteoporosis, you're correct - as we all age, we need to take care to remember that we're not 25 years old anymore.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Sorry Bill. That sucks. Heal well friend.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bummer, heal well.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear that Bill, I hope all goes well for a speedy recovery.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I feel for ya, I had C5-C6 fusion in 2007 and L5-S1 fusion in 2008. They did put connectors in for further expansion as needed :)
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:( Prayers for comfort and recovery...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Bill -

Sorry to read of this. Praying it goes well.

Thanks for posting. I have a couple friends in particular who have shared this with me. I used to have back issues, but with some slightly more careful technique and a wee bit of borrowed wisdom I've been in good shape for over a decade. Small changes do help.

Mike
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sorry to hear about it Bill. anyone who has never had a bad back is blessed. after years going to the chiropractor mine has called a truce and been pretty good . We broke down this spring and bought an inversion table, trying to keep anymore damage minimal. Good Luck.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Someone is trying to tell you to slow down, so take it easy friend.
Prayers for quick recovery.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang, looks like stupidity appears to be the prerequisite for being a board member here.

Well, I gotta go before it attaches itself to me.

Sorry, it's not easy being healthy with a strong back.

See you guys. :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Dang, looks like stupidity appears to be the prerequisite for being a board member here.

Well, I gotta go before it attaches itself to me.

Sorry, it's not easy being healthy with a strong back.

See you guys. :D ---6
:lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Why I oughta ...

:lol:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Prayers for quick recovery,
my common comment of late is if I had know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of this body.
It is not the critic who counts
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

You have my sympathies. I don't have any fusions yet, but that's the next step for me. I had 2 back surgeries about a year and a half ago for a herniated disk. That disk is pretty much toast, and doc says if anything further is needed it will have to be fused. I still can't feel anything on the left side of my left leg below the knee. I'm only 31 years old, so I hope I can stay at least where I am, even though I'm nowhere near 100%. I pretty much do what I want, but try to be careful when lifting.

Best of luck to you for a speedy recovery!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I feel for you. I fight it all the time now. After getting back to the best shape I had been in over a decade after my back surgery, I got nailed by a semi on 2012. Back is killing me again and I will probably need surgery. It is NO FUN!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I feel for you. I fight it all the time now. After getting back to the best shape I had been in over a decade after my back surgery, I got nailed by a semi on 2012. Back is killing me again and I will probably need surgery. It is NO FUN!
Lots of people in these situations, and as a physician, it's become difficult to treat them, because the 'procedures' are so over-priced many can't afford them, even if they have insurance, and the medications that actually work without significant toxicity are 'politically incorrect' and we're pressured to use ones that either aren't safe, or don't work (thanks to our Holy War on Drugs).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's no bueno! Heal well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I can appreciate the chronic pain and the stern lecture you are giving yourself in your head. I broke mine playing football years ago and didn't know it for many years! I remember a sore back but figured I'd get benched so kept quiet. These days I can't believe my stupidity. Your advice is sound and timely. Please give yourself a break. There was probably a very short line of folks offering to help you out.

The big C got me focused on losing weight, eating properly, and now with a return to a little strength it is time for some conditioning. I quite the drink and smoking years ago so now I'm focused on some good health. I asked my Doctors what normally kills men. All of them answered that men just wait too long to seek diagnosis and treatment. The big C almost got me because I waited too long to address some serious symptoms.

I also believe we were made a little expendable to take a beating so our women and children don't have to. Old age homes aren't full of 250 lb. scarred up ex-linebacker types. It probably makes them a more pleasant place. :twisted: