Kinda cool rear sight for Rossi...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Kinda cool rear sight for Rossi...

Post by AJMD429 »

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2566

I'd like it better if it had a simple bearing/spring/detent for positive clicks so it could be calibrated...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Kinda cool rear sight for Rossi...

Post by Centennial »

That looks like a good rear sight. A spring loaded detent ball would be nice too, so you could count the clicks..
I never seen the Rossi's '92 with the safety so I don't know how it attaches.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Rossi M92's bolt top safety's vertical shaft simply rests in a vertical hole in the bolt top, on the firing pin's C/L, and is retained by a small pin, crossways through the bolt in the bolt's locking lug recess' - so it's a simple matter to open the bolt/lever, tap out the pin & remove the safety.

That sight most likely has a similar vertical shaft under the sight base, slightly shorter so as not to intefere with the FP, but retained with the same pin that held the safety in the bolt.

While the safety's shaft has a tretention groove all around to allow the safety to turn, the sight's shaft would have a simple half-notch in one edge to prevent the sight from turning.

It's the same principle as when I installed a Skinner LoPro peep sight; and like Steve's ( http://www.stevesgunz.com ) bolt peep sight - except that Steve engineered his sight to also turn and act as did the original safety (longer shaft with a half-diameter lug at it's lowest extremity).

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

It seems to me that elevation is less important in an adjustable sight than is windage. It is easy enough to hold over/under in the field. It is more difficult to hold off.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow. I mounted one of Stevez sights in the safety hole on my Ranch Hand and it did yeoman's service, but that thing looks solid as a Buick!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

best part is the dog face on the firing pin
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I'm liking it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:best part is the dog face on the firing pin
Huh...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

if you look closely, enlarge the photo of the firing pin, there is an almost perfect outline of a dog's face.
dog-face.jpg
I guess it's like seeing animals in the clouds, you see it or not.

Grizz :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I bet you'd need a taller front sight for up close shooting. Is the Rossi dovetailed or soldered on the front?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very Nice!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”