the 86 made it today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

the 86 made it today

Post by plowboy 45 »

Third attempt to post if it don't work this time to heck with it. Guess it dont really matter I'm no to excited about this gun right now, its not quite what the pics showed, the rust on the barrel is a little worse than was described though I expected it would be. It is of course a 1886 Winchester in 38 56 all bluin is gone color case hardening does not show

receiver is packed with grease and scum, but the bore is VERY good action works well, I'm sure I'll like it better in time

Everything seems to be original markings look correct, but theirs a mans name on the barrel behind the rear sight , and a city and state please explain, I think I know but I'll see what y'all think.
Should I refinish the metal or leave it be???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: the 86 made it today

Post by ollogger »

Hey it looks well loved to me! A good bore on them old guns is a big hit
let us know how it shoots!

ollogger
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I wouldn't do a thing to that ol' beauty except clean her up good, and shoot the snot out of it.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I learned something today......38-56....I thought that was a typo for 38-55.....I love this place, and you have a neat old '86 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Yea its not really the gun that got me down each time I walk outside and look at it I like it more, this is a mans gun.
VERY heavy and VERY long pity the man who had to tote it daily, and the horse. By the third time I go out trere it'll have a home. I'm goin to try to get my wife to do some close ups with her camera, maybe I can show y'all the markings and name on it.

The 38 56 was suppose to be an improvement of the 38 55 dont really know this for sure.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Third time seems to be a charm today anyway, its got a home!
:D :D :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Just my .02 but if its got a good bore, feeds shells, and the wood ain't busted up, I would leave it alone. Just carefully clean it up and enjoy the heck out of it.

Just curious, it may just be the picture but have you measured the barrel. Looks like it may be longer than standard. That'd be a score!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Just figured out V. KINDLER East Saginaw, he had a sporting good store wich seems to still be in business.
This is the markings behind the rear sight.
The barrel is 26 in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote:Just my .02 but if its got a good bore, feeds shells, and the wood ain't busted up, I would leave it alone. Just carefully clean it up and enjoy the heck out!
Me too. Just put some 45-70's into a 38-56 fls and go to town! Size the bore first as 38-56's, like 38-55's, are notorious for varying groove diameters......use a gas check design.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Cool! As long as it has a good bore , life is good. What's not to like. Enjoy!!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

plowboy 45 wrote:Just figured out V. KINDLER East Saginaw, he had a sporting good store wich seems to still be in business.
This is the markings behind the rear sight.
The barrel is 26 in.
That is so cool. Have you considered contacting them for some history on the rifle?

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

From what I understand, they were one of several old outfitters that marked the guns they sold.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

BenT wrote:Cool! As long as it has a good bore , life is good. What's not to like. Enjoy!!
+ 1.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FYI - .38-56WCF (left); .30-30 (right)

The .38-56WCF was introduced in 1887 by Winchester for the Winchester Model 1886, and was also used in the Marlin Model of 1895.
Production of Model 1886',s chambered in this cartridge, ceased in 1910 due to lack of demand: most commercial production of the cartridge itself ceased in the 1930's.

The .38-56 cartridge was originally intended to outperform the similar .38-55 Winchester, but in reality has very similar ballistics despite using more gunpowder.

Here's the .38-56's cartridge specs, along with some loading data.

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_ ... W=&PM=&PT=

AFAIK, there's no loading manual specific to the .38-56.

The only thing I'd do to that rifle, besides shooting the snot out of it, would be to install a set of wheels. ;) . :mrgreen:

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Thanks for all the response, when I get over this trip I'm gonna get back
to checking the rifle out more.
Plowboy
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:The .38-56 cartridge was originally intended to outperform the similar .38-55 Winchester, but in reality has very similar ballistics despite using more gunpowder.

FYI - .38-56WCF (left); .30-30 (right)

I know it isn't exactly a levergunnish thought, but seeing that picture kinda makes me want to get an Encore barrel for it, or better yet, a Ruger No-1 in that chambering. I'll bet then it would be a pretty snappy round indeed...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Your picture of that fine rifle leaning up against the porch post says it all. Please come back and tell how she shoots.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

BlaineG wrote:I learned something today......38-56....I thought that was a typo for 38-55.....I love this place, and you have a neat old '86 8)

Well then, how about a 38-72? :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Got out my grandmothers old eyeglasses, took a close look at the 86, someone the seller or someone has put a dremal tool with the flap sanding wheel type deal against the metal, it's not to bad but you can tell if you look a little closer.
It's not gaped up or anything like that, what should I do slick it on up or leave it alone.

Plowboy

You can see the evidence in close coners.
Lucky they didn't touch the wood.
And all the grinding dust went in the receiver
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow, this rifle has some kind of Mojo in it....it keeps calling Me back.....look just once more. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . what a fun day it would be to put some rounds through it.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Has there been a thread on rust bluing, thinking of trying it on the 86.
Thoughts on this thanks,
Plowboy
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

dunno if there has been a thread, but I highly recommend doing it yourself. It is not hard and 3/4 of the stories about the difficulty of it are pure BS. If you flip me your email, I'll send you a some helpful pointers that Jack Belk (one time Guild member) put together on doing this.

It is fun to do a first class job and then show it off at the range. Nothing beats sweat equity to make you appreciate your best rifle or shotgun.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

In Snooky Williamsons Winchester Lever Legacy book he talks about the rifle and caliber he commented that you can use hot load data for the 38-55 to load the 38-56 and you need and stay away from ball powders in those old girls they increase pressure and burn out barrels. his own load data in a 20" carbine he pushed a barnes 255 gr to 1980 fps with 42 gr of IMR 4895 he has other loads with unique, 4198 and 3031 with barnes and 255 cast bullets. danny