Smiths carbine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Smiths carbine?

Post by Nath »

Any one here shot one?
It is a break open black powder gun that uses a cap on a nipple like a muzzleloader.
Do they use a paper cartridge?

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Smiths carbine?

Post by jhrosier »

They used a hard rubber cartridge.
I have both polyethylene and turned brass cartridges for mine.
I have not tried the brass cartridges.
The poly cartridges are said to burn out the flash holes and need replacing periodically.
Mine is an Italian repro and is not very sure fire. I have not had the interest to replace the springs and solve the problems.

Jack
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Some are great, some not so much. I have shot a couple, like those but have not owned one. I.e., I haven't been so enamoured as to put my own money into one plus the aforementioned necessaries. Those that I shot were adequately accurate for combat, not good enough for hunting. My .54 New Englander with a 60 gr. powder charge is more accurate. Fun to shoot though.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I found them fairy slim & attractive for a CW-era rifle, most of which seem to weigh about twice as much & act much more ponderously.

I sold the repro I had only because it wasn't legal for blackpowder/muzzleloading deer season.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Ahhr so there is a cartridge....thanks gents :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Nath,

If you are looking for an outside primed gun to shoot, the Maynard is probably a better choice.

There are a few local fellows who shoot original production Maynard carbines with good results.

The Maynards are more common than the Smiths and the prices locally are still within reach for the average person.

Jack
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, I had one of the Smith repros and had trouble with the plastic cartridges it came with. In fairness, they were used, but most of them were difficult to load into the breech. I much prefer my current percussion carbine -- a second model Maynard.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I liked the percussion Sharps I had long ago.

If the "cartridge" part has a bearing on the legal status in England, the Sharps may qualify as loose powder and ball, even though breach loading. I think the Smiths need at least a part of the "cartridge" case to seal the breach for firing. A Sharps can be used with a paper cartridge, but works fine without.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, GunMart did a review on the Smith Carbine and I think Henry Krank sells steel and brass shells for them , some Smith Carbine repos were in 20 gauge smoothbore.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

game keeper wrote:Nath, GunMart did a review on the Smith Carbine and I think Henry Krank sells steel and brass shells for them , some Smith Carbine repos were in 20 gauge smoothbore.
Thanks GK, this one is a 20g or so smoothbore.
I struggle to see how it could be loaded with shot successfully. For now any way!
Malamute wrote:I liked the percussion Sharps I had long ago.

If the "cartridge" part has a bearing on the legal status in England, the Sharps may qualify as loose powder and ball, even though breach loading. I think the Smiths need at least a part of the "cartridge" case to seal the breach for firing. A Sharps can be used with a paper cartridge, but works fine without.
No issue with licencing, it is a shotgun so goes down on a shotgun licence, have licence...go get.

Hmmmm

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!