Walter Walsh, FBI Agent, USMC Sniper, Olympic , Dies at 106

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Walter Walsh, FBI Agent, USMC Sniper, Olympic , Dies at 106

Post by Centennial »

Photo's and story:
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Walte ... to-6245994
and here more;
Walter Walsh, FBI Agent and Olympian, Dead at 106
WASHINGTON May 2, 2014 (AP)
By JESSICA GRESKO Associated Press

Walter R. Walsh, who captured gangsters as an FBI agent in the 1930s and went on to train Marine Corps snipers and become the longest-lived Olympian, has died.

Walsh died Tuesday at his home in Arlington, Virginia, his son Gerald Walsh confirmed Friday. Walsh, who would have turned 107 on Sunday, had suffered a minor heart attack a few weeks ago and his health deteriorated, Gerald Walsh said.

Walsh began his FBI career in 1934 and was soon chasing gangsters across the United States. On one day in 1935, he helped capture gangster Arthur "Doc" Barker in Chicago and fatally shot a second gangster, Russell "Rusty" Gibson.

Two years later, Walsh was in Bangor, Maine, on the trail of the Brady Gang. Tipped off that the gang planned to return to a sporting goods store to stock up on weapons, the FBI set up a stakeout. Walsh's role was to pose as a salesman, and when gang member James Dalhover came inside, Walsh arrested him. He then confronted and fatally shot a second gang member, Clarence Lee Shaffer Jr., but not before being hit in the chest and hand. Also killed in the shootout was Alfred Brady, the FBI's "Public Enemy number 1."

Walsh recovered from his injuries and over his FBI career killed between 11 and 17 gangsters, his son Gerald Walsh said he was told.

Walsh joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 1938 and became active duty in 1942, training snipers in North Carolina. In 1948 he competed in the London Olympics, placing 12th in the men's 50-meter free pistol event. Though he didn't medal, Walsh went on to hold an Olympic record.

In 2013, at the age of 105 and 321 days, he set a record for longest-lived Olympian, eclipsing a record set by gymnast Rudolph Schrader. He was also the FBI's oldest retired agent.

Walsh was born May 4, 1907, in New Jersey. He got his first rifle, a .22-caliber Mossberg, when he was about 12 according to a profile in the American Rifleman. By the time he graduated from Rutgers University's law school he had won a series of honors. He continued to shoot until recently, his son said.

"Sunday if you could have got somebody to take him to the range he probably would have gone. The last thing he was shooting was shotgun because the pistol was getting a little hard for him to hold as steady as he used to," Gerald Walsh said.

In addition to his son Gerald, Walsh is survived by another son, Walter Walsh Jr., and three daughters: Kathleen Reams, Linda Walsh and Rosemary Haas. His wife, Kathleen Barber, predeceased him.

A funeral Mass will be held Monday in Arlington.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Walter Walsh, FBI Agent, USMC Sniper, Olympic , Dies at

Post by TedH »

Rest in Peace, Sir.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

RIP, Sir.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Godspeed.

There used to be a plate set into the street in downtown Bangor, commemorating where the shootout took place with the Brady gang. Not sure if it's still there.
The Brady gang was there to pick up Thompsons they had ordered. I guess they thought ordering them in Bangor wouldn't raise suspicion. Mistake........it stood out like a sore thumb.
Mr. Walsh was one tough piece of business.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:RIP, Sir.....
+2
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thank You Walter Walsh!

RIP...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

A life that really mattered! I kinda chuckled he was still current with a shotgun after a 100 because his hand shook a bit. I kinda pictured this man still a deadly gun fighter at 100!!!!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

R.I.P.
It is not the critic who counts
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

There was a window in a store in downtown Bangor, ME that had bullet holes in it from the gunfight. They had put another glass over it. This was about '54 that I saw it, don't know if it is still there. I don't remember seeing it in the early 60's when I was at the Univ. of ME. At the time of the shootout it was not legal to sell a full auto to the public (NFA '34). I had always heard they had ordered Thomson parts. "Life" magazine had a series of photos of the aftermath of the event.