Rare/Vintage Lyman Tang Sight for Savage 99 Found

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Rare/Vintage Lyman Tang Sight for Savage 99 Found

Post by Old No7 »

Yes, it's true...

A "rare/vintage Lyman Tang Sight for Savage 99" was recently found -- on my gun! :)

Thanks to rlott and Mad Dog over on the SavageShooters forum, I have learned that what I thought was an old Lyman No. 1A Tang Sight on the Vintage Model 99 .300 Savage Take Down posting that I made over a week ago isn't that one... Nope...

It's a much more rare and hard-to-find (and more costly when you do find them!) Model 29 1/2, as it has both the windage-adustable rear piece and the folding sight stem:
Savage 99F - 300 Svg (5) (Medium).jpg
Since I'm told those sights can be worth from $200 to $250, that really gives me a smokin' deal, as my Savage 99 came with the sight already on it for a really nice low price! :wink:

"rlott" had also suggested that I rethink my plans to recut the checkering and refinish the stock, and I think he's right; instead, I will just clean it up some and hand rub some oil into the forearm to darken that to better match the buttstock (I hope). But I will keep all the age, patina and honest wear on her "as is".

Can't wait to take this 'ol girl out deer hunting this fall!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Rare/Vintage Lyman Tang Sight for Savage 99 Found

Post by Centennial »

That is a nice tang sight! My favorite icing on the cake (rifles).
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

that's oh so sweet!

ollogger

great find
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Very nice! Life is good.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

THAT is a hard sight to find. Can I have it?

I see nothing wrong with recutting the checkering......as long as the rest of the wood will match......in other words, when completed, will the checkering stand out? You dont want to recut checkering on beat up wood but its fine on decent wood.

After recutting checkering, slap some stock oil on there and she will look like it came from the factory back in the day-----------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sweeeeet!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Greatfind on a dandy rifle. However that sight is really nice! It would suit my Lyman Deerstalker!!!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I really like it when the unexpected show up, and when it shows up it's a good thing...nice rifle... :)