Your current long gun of choice ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Your current long gun of choice ?

Post by Blaine »

cjensen wrote:For the last six years it's been my 9.3X74R DR

Beautiful.....Just stunning....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cjensen
Levergunner

Post by cjensen »

Then there's my gun for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg2uvy67f-w
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

When I'm in the mood to go 'White Feather' on deer & varmints, this one comes out.
This model 70 .243 is admittedly my all time favorite rifle.

Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

I hate to admit it, but it isn't my lever action; it is my Howa 1500 30-06... especially since today I shot my best group with it ever!

Rainy .06MOA Load
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Too many choices :? ...have to go by what I grab unconsciously...one that will always go to the shoulder as if I was born with it.

Normally, if it is a critter hunting season, it is a '94 Timber Carbine chambered for the .444 Marlin. Nothing special, beautiful shape, nice leather sling, shoots extremely straight...taken it's share of critters. Then there is my '94 Black Shadow chambered for the .444 Marlin, more rough and tumble, even though it has a 1.5 X 4 Bushnell Dawn to Dusk low dollar scope on it (not overly found of optical enhancers as they make me lazy...hence me taking a fork buck with it across a 300+ yard valley. Top mark~50 yrds, center is 100 yrds, first bottom mark 150 yds, next is 200 yards, next is 225 yrds, 4th is 250yrds, 5th is 275 yrds, 6th is 300 yards, bottom of rectil is ~ 325yrds).

But...if I am not paying attention...I seem to always grab my '94 Trapper in .44 Mag...gotta lot of deer with it, some at distances no one would believe unless they were there with me, has taken a black bear...and one really nice bull elk up in the Bitterroots, down by the Clark Fork. So if I am only can take one, and it is too dark to see, betcha' I'll grab this one unconsciously.
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

My favorite is a 336 Zane Gray that came my way as a real beater. Had it rebored to .375 & chambered to 375 Hoosier II- a wild cat creation of mine for Indiana compliant deer hunting rules and completely reworked stock.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bgmkithaca wrote:My favorite is a 336 Zane Gray that came my way as a real beater. Had it rebored to .375 & chambered to 375 Hoosier II- a wild cat creation of mine for Indiana compliant deer hunting rules and completely reworked stock.
Ok...we need you to start a thread, and show us that one.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
bgmkithaca wrote:My favorite is a 336 Zane Gray that came my way as a real beater. Had it rebored to .375 & chambered to 375 Hoosier II- a wild cat creation of mine for Indiana compliant deer hunting rules and completely reworked stock.
Ok...we need you to start a thread, and show us that one.... 8)
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My recently-acquired '73 Short Rifle, in .45 Colt.. With its 20" octagon barrel, it is marginally more accurate than the 24" Sporting Rifle it replaced.. it weighs a smidgen less, and comes up a mite quicker, but still has ample forward weight to "hang" nicely on target.. Perfect for what I use it for..!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess I have to go with this one, Browning BLR. It's my gun of choice when I mean business.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

I have tried to post pictures of my Zane Grey for you folks to see but it seems to be more than I can fathom-sorry but my computer skills only go so far. The particulars about it are a Prince of Wales style pistol grip and a wood graft from the grip to the butt to repair a break. It still wears the brass butt plate and fore-end cap. The barrel is a 22" octagon barrel with a Zane Grey medallion on the right side of the receiver and topped off with a Nikon 2 x 7 scope, also put a saddle ring on it that I had sitting around. The .375 Hoosier chambering is a wild cat of my design- it is the .356 Win. shortened up to 1.8" and expanded to .375". It does more than is needed for whitetails- I settled on a load with a Hornady 220 Gr. flat point at 2300 plus on my chronograph-it will go faster but the bullets get explosive on up close shots- found that out the hard way. If anyone wonders why not just use a shortened .356 the answer is to be different-no one else has a .375 around here.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

casastahle wrote:When I'm in the mood to go 'White Feather' on deer & varmints, this one comes out.
This model 70 .243 is admittedly my all time favorite rifle.

That is my "put the bullet exactly where I want it to go" gun as well. I have a pre 64 70 featherweight that is without a doubt my most accurate rifle. Not my favorite, but if I want to for sure put a hole in something that is the one I grab.

My current long gun of choice is a toss-up between the Savage 7mm-08 and the Marlin Guide Gun. I guess my all time "go to" is still the trusty ol' Winchester 94 30-30. Not the most accurate or my favorite gun to shoot, but the combination of being compact, easy to carry, accurate and powerful enough for most everything I need to do is pretty appealing when going for a stroll in the woods.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Really, no one else nominated a rimfire? A couple shotguns but no lowly .22lr.........

If we're stuck on centerfire than I'll have to go with my purpose built homebrew Savage 110. 18.5" barrel in .243.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

this one always raises a smile.

In a world of instant gratification the necessary pause when using it makes for a very pleasant change.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

1950's era Marlin 336 in 30 WCF..........I'm just a vanilla guy in a rocky rhode world
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Same old same old for me . Marlin . 32 , 35 , 44 .
They feel like they grew there , carry great , shoulder to point of aim regardless of if I'm wearing a t-shirt or a thick wool coat . 8)

Phil
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

One of my Marlin lever rifles on an elking excursion.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Glenfield 30A in .30W.C.F. ...used a bunch of different leverguns and calibers over the years, but always come back to the 30/30...the Glenfield is a working man's basic rifle...for me it simply works and I really enjoy carrying and shooting it...plus I kind-of like the low-tech pressed on deer/oak leaf checkering... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The one I use the most would probably be my 1894 cowboy 357 but that's mainly because I get to more club shoots designed for it. The one I would choose to use would be my 1894 CL 32-20 because it is such a sweet handling and accurate rifle.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Really, no one else nominated a rimfire? A couple shotguns but no lowly .22lr.........

If we're stuck on centerfire than I'll have to go with my purpose built homebrew Savage 110. 18.5" barrel in .243.
Though not a long gun, this is my preferred firearm for these pesky critters.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I take my 9422 Mag. It is very accurate, kills most predators I need it to and does not cost much to shoot. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

My current favorite is my Henry h001 in octagon barrel with a scope. Next is my rossi .357 lever in octagon barrel, then next is the marlin 336w in .30.30. I have one slot left in guncabinet and kinda eyeballing around as to what to fill it with. i would like a pumpaction in some caliber other what i already have, but pretty open on that. I don't reload, and would like to get something that has ammo pretty much available, maybe in a .308 or in a 5.56. Any suggestions out there? :wink:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

My 92 454 Casull McPherson Puma is my go-to gun. It is accurate, holds many rounds, and could probably stop almost any animal on Earth with the right bullet. If I needed more than that, then my CZ 550 in 375 H&H Ackley Improved that holds 5+1 would be the one. It is incredibly flat shooting and could take any animal with a 350 grain bullet. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

My Winchester Trapper in 45 colt but my 1957 Winchester 94 in 32 spl. if it had a shorter barrel.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

hosehead
Levergunner

Post by hosehead »

Browning auto-5 12 ga 28'' ventilated rib love the gun
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

When I get time to work up a load it's going to be my 94 .307AI. Put a Redfield wide angle accutrac 2-7 scope. Hoping for 2,650 with nosler 170 partitions or 2,700+ with hornady ftx bullets.

Byron
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

I am tore between my Savage 99 in 300 and my Winchester 71. Both wear irons. Great hunting and what ever else needs to be done rifles.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

BlaineG wrote:
cjensen wrote:For the last six years it's been my 9.3X74R DR

Beautiful.....Just stunning....
He's not a bad looking guy I guess, but I don't think I'd call him "beautiful" or "stunning"! :lol:

My favorite hunting rifle is my old Tikka 595 308. I have others to choose from, but it's my go to rifle from varmints to deer.
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Old Savage wrote:Ruger 77R in 6MM Rem with Weaver 4x scope. Long range.

Marlin 1895SS in 45-70 with Leupold 4x short range.
My long range favorite is also a Ruger 77 in 6mm Remington. For short range it's one of my Marlins, .357, .44, or .30-30.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Depend on time you ask. As of now it's my Savage 99.243. I have not hunted with it but have used .243 hard to explain why this 99 is so appealing.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

THAT'S IT !

That's the gun I shot first wolf and first deer with, same scope setup and all...

Do you know the gun's history? Stranger things have happened! :)

Like seeing an old friend, thanks for posting.

Grizz
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

For the past 20 years its been my Winchester 88 in .308 ...this gun still rotates in and out of my "Favorite" gun today catagory....
for the past 6 or 7 years, a Marlin 336A that I built has been sharing the spot off and on witht he Model 88...
but I have a new to me, Pre-64 Model 70 in .270 that is taking some of those days away from the model 88 and the Marlin.
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Grizz, I have had that 99 for about a year. I traded a Glock for it at the hight of the rush for AR15. And other semi weapons. The dealer traded even. I guess none of the high speed guys wanted an antique lever gun. However I am older than the rifle. I wish you success in getting another. Wen I was 16 in 1965 my brother and I were going to buy hunting rifles. The Rem. 600 in 243 got the choice. However I remember seeing the 99s and passing them up. I would not do that again. I have not hunted with it.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Grandpa's Springfield '03 Sporter followed by a Marlin 94P in .44mag and a .450Marlin Guide Gun for
the really big critters.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2ndovc wrote:Grandpa's Springfield '03 Sporter followed by a Marlin 94P in .44mag and a .450Marlin Guide Gun for
the really big critters.

jb 8)

Some awful nice guns guys and I dare say well thought out weapons of choice.
jb, love those Springfield 1903 sporters.

This guy at our gun club uses his at our M1 shoots.
Fellow is 71 years old and he is deadly accurate.
Even the timed 10rd events, he is really something.
Name is Milt and half of what he knows is more than I ever will know.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I shoot maybe 7000-8000 rounds a year at lever action silhouette, so I guess my most-used rifle is my beat up Marlin 39A. Poor ol' feller has at LEAST 50,000 rounds thru it since I got it and it was well-used when I got it.