Marlin lever action stocks on 22's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin lever action stocks on 22's

Post by Centennial »

I like the wood configuration on early Marlin 22's like the model '97. I have a 39 and I'm thinking of having the fat oversize wood sanded down to that of a '97. I've heard of this being done before and was wondering if any here have done or had it done??
BrentD

Re: Marlin lever action stocks on 22's

Post by BrentD »

I did it. I went to a gunshow and found a guy that sold old gunstocks from dismantled firearms and sure enough, he had a spare 39a forearm to sell, so I bought it and shaved it down - mostly with a small block plane. Then a rasp and file for the final shaping. I didn't get too carried away to make it super slim but it is far trimmer than the 1951 era stock that I had to start with. If I did it again, I would take more off and I just might in the future. And, I still have the original to put back on if I want to also. The odds of that ever happening is about zero however.

Brent
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bought a 39 a while back with most of the varnish flaking off, sanded the forearm down on my bench sander til just a little proud to the action and metal tip. Scraped all the old finish off the butt and boy, did it have some nice wood on it!!! It was a Christmas present for my 12 year old so I went ahead and cut the stock to fit him even though it was painful. Turned out real nice though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have an aftermarket for my builder that I do not know it's origin.
It is slimmer than a factory, it also has a crescent brass buttstock.
So I will have to slim a forend to match.
I think I will shorten the barrel to 20".