Just Witnessed A Cat/Fox/Me Fight**Update on "cat rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Just Witnessed A Cat/Fox/Me Fight**Update on "cat rifle

Post by Sixgun »

About an hour ago, I step out of the shower and my better half is screaming all crazy. She's holloring, "the fox has Minimy!!!!" over and over again. I say's, "who's Minimy?" She say's, "our cat!!"

Funny thing, I can recite the names of our 15 dogs in 2 seconds flat but have no idea what our cat's name is. :D

Anyway, I have on long underwear only and grab the Marlin 218 bee off the wall and go out the back door. By then the fox had dropped the cat and was running full blast across the pasture about a 100 yards away. I chamber a round and raise the 218 Bee, center the crosshairs of the ancient K-4 Weaver about 6" in front of the fox and let loose. The fox stops and does an about face and starts running the other way, then just about stops. I says to myself, "your mine now little buddy. get ready to stop a Hornady .224 hollowpoint". I drop the hammer on another round and the fox flips around and runs in the woods. He was running so fast after that shot, I could not get off another round.

I walk out in the pasture (just about dark) and see where my bullet hit. Too dark to see if there's any blood and I ain't walkin' back to get a light. I walk in the woods and no fox. :cry:

I go back to the house and the wife say's, "Did you get him?" I say's, "nope". I then tell her not to get so excited as the fox's are hungry and they have to eat too. :D Can anybody out there get me somethin' to eat? I think I just destroyed my chances of going to the gun auction this weekend :D -------------Sixgun
Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

:lol: Sometimes it hurts to be right.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

At least you know how to get him back to the house for a formal introduction. :twisted:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That is a great story. You have 20 dogs? What're they doing while the fox is having his way with fluffy?
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

....ya shoulda set them 15 hounds loose....that woulda been a sight to see,and hear............... :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:shock: :lol: Poor Minny :twisted:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

As long as you're in the doghouse anyway, tell her not to let the cat outside anymore. It's a dangerous world for cats, lots more than it ever used to be. Outside is no place for a house cat, and that fox proved it. You might mention all the extra diseases available now for a cat to pick up just from other cats. None of ours go outside, so none become food.
I say you're right about the fox trying to make a living, and tell her to act like a responsible pet owner.
And that should get you about a month in with the pups! :lol:
At least there are enough to keep you warm!

Gryphon
bang.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hey Grizz, wanna see me make this thread go 10 pages? :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

:twisted: :shock: :!: :?: :!: :?:

:!: :?: :idea: :twisted: :roll: :lol: :shock: :twisted: :!:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

11B30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Did the cat make it?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sixgun, you did good, some guy's (probably not from this forum) ??? would not have known which critter to shoot first! :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

game keeper wrote:Sixgun, you did good, some guy's (probably not from this forum) ??? would not have known which critter to shoot first! :?

"Sorry about the cat, honey. But AT LEAST I got the fox TOO!!!" Kind of like a recent incident in which a woman shot a perp that was attacking her husband - and hit the husband too.

Of course, all the folks on the forum love cats. :shock: :roll:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yeah, Sixgun, what happened to the cat? Do you gotta dig a hole? :D
Old Law Dawg
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Sixgun,

Great story! You need to add an anti-fox dog to your collection, maybe an Irish Terrier.
That fox wouldn't have come within 200 yards of my 2 Chesapeakes!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

... and grab the Marlin 218 bee off the wall ...
Let's face it ... you probably had to make a choice between one of several rifles in 25-20, a 25-35, a 64 in Zipper, the Marlin Bee, and a couple of 9422 Mags. You're hoarding all of the good stuff aren't you. 8)
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Not being a cat person, I'd of liked to see how good that cat could fight the fox off :wink: . I do have two cats that my dogs won't kill. They live in and around the barn which is a good place for them. Any other feline is fair game.
I had to clean out our rental house after we had a cat live with the renter. Darn near impossible to get cat pee smell out of a snug log house. After the carpet was gone we still had troubles. Made me want to go on an anit-cat spree.
Brings me to the next thought. What's your favorite cat rifle? :twisted:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Wes wrote:Brings me to the next thought. What's your favorite cat rifle? :twisted:
Time to batten down the hatches!!!! :roll: :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

game keeper wrote:
Wes wrote:Brings me to the next thought. What's your favorite cat rifle? :twisted:
Time to batten down the hatches!!!! :roll: :roll:
Besides the grousing about OT posts, this is the other monthly dustup... Yeah, what game keeper said...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
clubkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by clubkey »

Great story Sixgun... I kinda got a picture of the whole event and all I can say coming here is better than goin to the movies any-day. In the future I'll know to fix up some popcorn before readin any stories of happenings around your homestead. :lol: Hope the cat is doin fine.
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

As far as cats I am indifferent we have had several and they do their job. My wife was concerned about your wifes cat after me telling her about this. Hope the kitty heals up all right and lives to fight another day.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I beleive that excluding ranchers you can judge the level of loonieness a person will exhibit by the number of cats they own. I have never been wrong on this one. Over 3 cats and I gauruntee you will see some strange behavior.
11B30
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

He's right about the number of cats.
But then, it's probably nothing compared to the oxygen deprivation you get at 9000ft!!! :D
Talk about loopy!
bang.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Gryphon Black wrote:He's right about the number of cats.
But then, it's probably nothing compared to the oxygen deprivation you get at 9000ft!!! :D
Talk about loopy!
I have never experienced any altitude related side effects. I can spend a couple months at sea level, and come right back home and run a couple miles in the same time I did before I left. Big lungs. :lol:
11B30
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Hey Sixgun;

I bet you knew ahead of time that making that joke would put you in the dog house. There was a time I could not let what I thought was a good joke be left untold, REGARDLESS OF THE CONSEQUENCES. I have since learned discretion.

I have to admit though, that joke would have badly tempted me. Did you say it just like Clint Eastwood, saying buzzard need to eat too (why should worms get all the food)?

Hope your wife's pet survives. I do have a soft spot for cats. I used to have two, one died of old age, and the other ran away. Now, I feel relieved not to have to take care of them.

Sore Shoulder's number might be a little stringent, but I too have notices the "wacky factor" regarding people living alone with numerous cats.

May God's grace shine upon your humble household.

Sean
Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Boomer45 »

:lol: darn Guys, You all just made my day. This is one funny post. :lol:
Any Time, Any Place
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Grizz wrote:That is a great story. You have 20 dogs? What're they doing while the fox is having his way with fluffy?
Grizz, We have 15 Yorkshire Terriers. Man, were they making a racket! The dogs cannot get to the pasture as I have about 3/4 of an acre around the house fenced in for them to run around in.
Fluffy? The little bugger survived. I don't see any cuts on her.---Sixgun
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

homefront wrote:Sixgun,

Great story! You need to add an anti-fox dog to your collection, maybe an Irish Terrier.
That fox wouldn't have come within 200 yards of my 2 Chesapeakes!
Irish terrier huh? I'm gonna have to look into that. What do they do to keep the foxes away? These yorkies we have go crazy when they see a fox which is about every day or so. We have witnessed the fox on one side of the fence and the dogs on the house side running up and down the fence line like they want to play. ---------Sixgun
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
... and grab the Marlin 218 bee off the wall ...
Let's face it ... you probably had to make a choice between one of several rifles in 25-20, a 25-35, a 64 in Zipper, the Marlin Bee, and a couple of 9422 Mags. You're hoarding all of the good stuff aren't you. 8)
:D :D :D :D Yup! The 218 bee is an accurate little rifle that does not make much sound though. Its also a deadly instant killer on foxes. (when I hit 'em) Its getting pretty populated around here but I do keep the neighbors trained by shooting a round or two or three off every week.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I got so many requests on what my favorite "cat rifle" is, I feel obligated to respond. Please keep in mind I do like cats and dogs but........there is a time when some have to "go". Unfortunately, its usually because people set them free and cats will almost instantly revert back to the wild. Cats are nortorious to killing large amount of song birds and yes, YOUR pet cats.

Now, back to "cat rifles".

A .22 rimfire does pretty well, but it does take a well placed shot. Cats seem like if they are not hit right, they so do a lot of floppin' around! A .22 mag hp is better but I have found the .22 centerfires produce "instant stillness". The larger centerfires such as the 30-30, 30-06, 35 Whelan, 375 H&H mag., or even the 460 Weatherby seem to punch a hole and do not keep the energy where it belongs. Frangible hollowpoints help with the bigger rounds.
Like I said, the .22 centerfires are my choice, especially if you make a wounding shot, and the cat just happens to belong to your neighbor. That might get your name in the news :D

Come on cat lovers, its only a joke! :D Sixgun
Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Boomer45 »

Hey Sixgun,

I thought it was bad when we had 11 yorkies but 15! WoW. We are down to 4 now. Those dogs sure do love to kill moles and birds and such. Our oldest female will stalk a bird just like a cat. We have to watch her. She is the one that lost the fight with a skunk. Our oldest male is 10 and his job is to keep the elephants out of the yard. He does a great job as we have not seen an elephant around the house in years :lol:
Any Time, Any Place
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

My friend had one when we were kids. Fast, smart, protective, and his was often at the vet for scrapping with bigger neighborhood dogs, and 1 raccoon.
He made such a good impression that I've kept it in my mind to one day have one.
Chesapeakes can be very dominant though, and if a dog won't back down, as my friends Irish never would, neither will a Chessie and a smart man puts his money on the Chessie. I just can't have both while I'm young enough to hunt ducks.
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

How long do you have to leave the cat tied to a fence before a fox finally shows up?
Don
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

Only a 218 Bee? You need a 219 Ackley Improved loaded with a Sierra 50gr. Blitz King going about 3750 FPS. Very explosive on what ever critter you hit. You should see the mess it makes out of groundhogs! :shock:
David S
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Something told me this thread was going to be about 10 pages long. :D Here's a pic of one of my favorite dogs---Skittles--look at that nasty face! She's guarding a '94 in 38-55.
Image,

Look hard--there's 7 of 'em in this pic
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Sixgun:

Wait until the fishers move south from New England to the Keystone State. They have done a number on house pets and small game in our area.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Found out this morning that coyotes got my favorite office neighborhood stray. A sweet little dog that I will feel guilty for not taking home for a long time

Wish like hell that I'd been there w/ any of my rifles.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Took me awhile to catch on to this one! It is rather funny though!
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Scoutmaster wrote:How long do you have to leave the cat tied to a fence before a fox finally shows up?
Don
My Uncle used to do that with one of Grandma's cats. Only he was baiting crows. After staking the cat, he would blow a few times on crow call. After letting the scout crows pass, there would soon be a bunch of crows decending on the fighting cat, the crows would get so involved trying to get the cat they ignored my Uncle's shotgun blast until several of them met their maker. As a young boy I thought this was the best show around.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

sore shoulder wrote:I believe that excluding ranchers you can judge the level of loonieness a person will exhibit by the number of cats they own. I have never been wrong on this one. Over 3 cats and I gauruntee you will see some strange behavior.
My mother has seven cats. Never had more than one (except for the short time she took in her mother's two surviving cats, one of which lived only a couple of months after the move) until she started to slip. Her neighbor had over 120 in her house when her family finally "removed" her to a facility. I don't know that it is cats that are the indicator but the hoarding.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Another cat incident was from my childhood. We used to eat New Years dinner with my great aunt. She had a little ranch next to ours. She was a cat person and had cats in the house. You always had to pick cat hairs off your grub before you ate it. Once after we'd eaten, one of her cats jumped up on the table and started eating the roast beef, I went to shove it off and notice two or three big nasty tumor like growths on it. Made everyone at the table about half sick.

Favorite cat rifles:

1) 1894CL 32-20 (100gr bullet, 85 too nasty even for me)
2) Browning 218 Bee (any bullet)
3) Win 9422 (Stingers)
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I am sick of all this cat-shooting talk.

If any of you reprobates shoot one of my barn cats, there will be hell to pay. For every one you shoot, I'll shoot another one.

And I ain't kiddin'.

(Just don't get the calico...that little redheaded comanche/apache squaw of mine will hunt us all down like...well...dogs.) ;)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

A good farmer friend of mine once told me, "if they're in the barn, they're barn cats, but if they're outside the barn, they're feral so shoot em". The smart ones learned not to venture from the barn :)
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

As i recall, 22's don't work very well. :evil: :D 8)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sarge wrote:I am sick of all this cat-shooting talk.

If any of you reprobates shoot one of my barn cats, there will be hell to pay. For every one you shoot, I'll shoot another one.
Pardon me while I whip this out.... :shock:

"Put down your guns ot the "Niqqer gets it!" :wink:

(If you don't get the Blazing Saddles reference, you are seriusly humor impaired...) :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

old ironsights wrote:

Pardon me while I whip this out.... :shock:

"Put down your guns ot the "Niqqer gets it!" :wink:

(If you don't get the Blazing Saddles reference, you are seriusly humor impaired...) :roll:
OI, I remember that like it was yesterday. (late seventies??) That had to be the funniest movie I have ever saw. I still use those quotes from time to time.
The part I liked the most was when the rail machine fell in the mud and Slim Pickens said (well, you know--the rail machine was worth $400 and the others were not worth as much :D ) --------Sixgun
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have the (mostly) complete Mel Brooks Movie Collection.

It's a tangental part of my Gene Wilder Collection.

I'm hard pressed to decide whether my favorite is "Blazing Saddles", "Frisco Kid" or "Producers".... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!