Selling in the classifieds...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Selling in the classifieds...

Post by Hobie »

Well, we had a bit of a dust up in the classifieds. Who is unimportant but there are some things of which members should be aware.

1 - Forum administrators are not the sales police. From long experience on the board we can tell you about SOME of the involved parties but we don't keep records on the subject(s).

2 - Sellers decide what they want to sell, buyers what they want to buy. If you make a commitment to buy, pay up. If you get the money, send the item (IAW applicable law and regulation).

3 - Sellers are responsible for deciding to whom and under what conditions they will make a sale. Likewise buyers decide from whom and under what conditions they will make a purchase. If a particular buyer or seller doesn't like, for whatever reason, the other party's conditions, there is no obligation to complete the transaction until it begins through the transfer of money or property. Fraud is covered by law and if there is a fraud the parties involved have to pursue that.

4 - There are some general ethical rules in conducting transactions on or off line.
  • If you offer something for sale you should respond to interested parties.
  • An inquiry about a for sale item does NOT equal a commitment to purchase/trade.
  • A response to an inquiry does NOT equal a commitment to sell/trade.
  • Commitments typically include the parameters of the transaction such as "I will buy your gadget for $X and my old XXX," for a purchase offer and "I will take $X and your old XXX for my gadget," as an acceptance of that offer.
  • Counter offers are acceptable.
  • Sellers can entertain other offers.
  • If a possible buyer doesn't make a committed offer he's just made an inquiry and must wait until the seller decides how to proceed.
I'm sure this will excite some responses. No personal attacks, no personal references. I know I've left out something, I'll edit as necessary.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Selling in the classifieds...

Post by TedH »

Sounds perfectly reasonable.
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sounds like common sense.
I've done a lot of trading over FB, and let me tell you, this forum is much easier to deal with than the FB tire-kicking, no-commitment crowd.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, this is disappointing :( If there was an issue over who "got it", there are date and time stamps for that. Perhaps, "I've got it" should be public on the thread?? That way, no mistaking the issue.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've never had an issue and plenty of green has passed through my greedy hands because of this board.

I have a simple policy, "You want it or you don't" and if you do, pass the green towards me.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Most such deals imply that the money will be in hand in a certain period of time. USPS MO in a mail transaction or cash in person seems best. A check is often acceptable to a seller if the person is known to the seller, i.e. the seller knows where the buyer lives, works, etc.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've never used the classified section on this forum so I should probably keep my mouth shut........and feel free to tell me to do so.

To me at least, my reputation and honor is more important than an unfired, deluxe, first year production 86 Winchester.........well maybe it ain't worth.........no....no.... it is....... :roll:

Anyway, I think Hobie is more than reasonable in what he said.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gosh... I thought all that went without sayin'? I've had a bit of change leave my hands thru this forum... and have ALWAYS been treated as tho' I was correct... What OldWin said... a man's word is only good so long as he keeps it. If you can't... goodbye.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... shame on me; also seems as tho' it might apply! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A great many deals I've done (quite a few) has seen my purchase enroute before I've posted funds.....
One of the very last things I would want is to have a bad reputation.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Gosh... I thought all that went without sayin'? I've had a bit of change leave my hands thru this forum... and have ALWAYS been treated as tho' I was correct... What OldWin said... a man's word is only good so long as he keeps it. If you can't... goodbye.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... shame on me; also seems as tho' it might apply! :twisted:
Remember that "Like a hair on a biscuit" AlphaHotel? He didn't last a day after he screwed the pooch :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

All you guys make good points and I wouldn't hesitate to make a transaction with any of you.

Personally, I hate owing money and always pay my bills ASAP. I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone so acting like a ten cent millionaire don't fool anyone. I don't have money to burn and I just assume everyone else is in the same boat. If you screw someone over, you may have put that person or their kids in a bad way.
I don't care if you can buy and sell Bill Gates or are picking cans beside the road, you deserve to be paid what you are owed........and pay what YOU owe.

The excuse that "they can afford it" or "they have money" when screwing someone over is a sign of very poor...or NO character.

I know I have strong feelings on this but I think this is one of the biggest problems in our society today.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - words to live by.....

IMHO, poor/no communications, tardy payment or shipment, and unreasonable expectations are sure signs of "deal, or no deal" turning into a "no deal".

FWIW, I've run into all of the above, but never here on the leverguns forum - for which I thank the classy/respectable folks, registered here.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pete44ru wrote:.
IMHO, poor/no communications,

This. I've been rifle shopping lately. You'd be surprised how many folks won't answer your questions about a rifle they have posted. (not here) If I have to milk the info out of you....something is wrong.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All sounds reasonable to me.

I haven't dealt with anyone here on the forum who didn't seem to be the kind of person whose word or handshake was worth way more than some hundred-page lawyered-up 'contract' any day of the week.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Though fairly new here, I've made three successful transactions. Payments came, items were shipped. There is honor amongst the honorable. Good crowd of people here over all.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I've sold a couple of pistols here --- i would much rather deal with the forum members here than the Armslist tire kickers, --

its almost so simple its diabolical - I receive money order in the mail, then i take packaged and protected item to UPS :)
----- Doug