Remington 141/25rem with pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Remington 141/25rem with pics

Post by pwl44m »

I have had it a while now. I posted info back in Oct. or thereabouts. I got a knockout price on it so couldn't pass it up.
I reported that it was missing the take down screw and that it didn't seem to be staying cocked. After a bunch of fiddling found the problem. If U know these Guns U will understand. It needed the take down screw to keep the action from moving when the trigger is pulled. It was actually pushing itself away from the sear. I ordered a new Take Down screw from Jack First and They earned Their $9.95 s/h charge with the speed in which it was sent and received. $19.95 total is what it cost Me. :D to even find one.
Next up is Ammo acquisition. I haven't really searched for any, limited sources local. Is it on the same case as the 30s or small like 25-20 ? Don't reckon I've ever seen one.
Now I have a dilemma, It has no blue left and it is pretty ruff. Do these have any collector value ? As U can see by the pics the stock is pretty ruff also. If in fact it is collectible- how much. I would like to refinish it if it isn't highly desirable.
Well the pics I have r too big and can't post them so I will just wait an take some more. Somehow the resolution got changed on My camera.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pwl44m on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Remington 141/25rem

Post by carbluesnake »

I believe the .25 Rem is a necked down 30 Rem.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I did have one a year or so ago, wished I kept it but needed the cash for another gun project. Here is a good read about load setup for the 25 Rem. I used some of the loads myself and worked out great. Hope it helps

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... f=5&t=4249

Mainehunter :wink:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

The 25 Rem is the 30 Rem necked down to 25 with no other change. Easily made from 30 Rems, though I like to take the neck down in stages with a run into a 7mm die first (I have a 7mm Bench Rest die that is perfect for this first reduction) and then on down to 25. I just checked his site and it appears that Reeds Ammunition http://shop.reedsammo.com/Rifle-Brass_c29.htm still has 30 Remington brass in stock. That's where I got mine a couple of years ago.

The 25 Remington is a nifty cartridge -- kind of a 25/35 Improved, but with the neck left full length.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I didn't know the 141 came in 25 Rem . I thought they dropped in from the line when it was updated from the model 14 to the model 141. If you lived closer you could stop by and load some ammo up.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BenT wrote:I didn't know the 141 came in 25 Rem . I thought they dropped in from the line when it was updated from the model 14 to the model 141. If you lived closer you could stop by and load some ammo up.
Geez Ben aint you tired of winter? You could load some up, drop them off on the way to the beach; where Old Savage does all his photography :P
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

BenT wrote:I didn't know the 141 came in 25 Rem . I thought they dropped in from the line when it was updated from the model 14 to the model 141.
That's right, but it is always possible the boys at Remington had a .25 barrel or two left over and they screwed one to a 141 action. If so, our Perry has one heck of a rare item! Most likely his is a model 14 rather than a 141.

And I need to make a little "addendum" to my previous post about making the 25 Rems from 30 Rems. First I should mention (though most of you would already be aware of this) that this forming operation is a great time to create cases that are at minimum headspace dimension by the way we adjust our sizing dies, only turning them in to the point the action just closes on the new case. And second, the necks will thicken up a bit when you do this, but for the chambers on both of my rifles the thickening has not been enough to require reaming or turning. The length, however, can go critical pretty quick -- I inadvertently produced a "blue pill" load on about a second or third loading of my first batch of 25 cases because they had grown too long. So trim those cases back to the "trim to" length!

In case anybody is interested, it turns out the old model 14 action is up to handling such a load, at least once! Yeah, that case was tight enough I had to get a rod down the barrel and pound on it at the same time as pulling hard on the pump handle...

Another item of interest to 25 Rem reloaders who are also fans of the Lee Factory Crimp die -- the Lee FC die for the 260 Remington also works for our 25 Remington.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Sorry for the delay in posting Pics.I will get them I promise. If what has been said turns out to be true then maybe I have a rare gun, it does say 141 on the receiver and ser #is 1480. Thx for all the info on ammo, I do have some 30 rem brass but I doubt I will go that route. Bear with Me and I will get pics.
Perry
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i just got some 25 remington marked brass from midway, last month after a year long wait, ithink itis jamison brass

i have a stevens hi power in 25 rem

oops.......the brass is by Quality Cartridge; they have a bit of a reputation for being brittle [ have had the same experience with jamison, in other calibers i.e. the 303 savage ]
cable
wfo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wfo »

I've got a model 14 in .25 Remington that was my Grandpa's. I haven't bought any ammo for it yet because he left me some.
I found these two places, but haven't tried them yet:

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#obsolete

http://www.buffaloarms.com/25_Remington ... x?CAT=4445
We the people are the Rightful Masters of both Congress and the Courts. Not to overthrow The Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert The Constitution.

Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Remington 141/25rem with pics

Post by pwl44m »

Finally got some pics on, The sight and buttplate are separate as I haven't put them back on yet. Hope U can make everything out. As U can see it is a 141 and everything looks worn the same . The left side with mod # is where I di some touch up to see how it would turn out. I think it would refinish nicely.
Anyhow what do U think, Is it rare or No ?
Perry
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

pwl44m wrote: Anyhow what do U think, Is it rare or No ?
Perry
Yep, it's rare! You do indeed have a model 141 in 25 Remington. That must have been from the first few months of production of the 141, before they also included the name "Gamemaster" along with the model 141. And that is a left-over model 14 barrel they screwed to the model 141 receiver -- the model 141 barrels use the screwed-on front sight ramp rather than the neat (and more expensive to produce) integral ramp like this barrel has.

A fine find, Perry!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Earl, that certainly is good news. Now what to do with it. Keep it or sell it, of course with this new info I probably shouldn't mess with it much. It is just laying on the Bench now and not bothering anyone.
Perry
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Neat gun. Keep it around. It don't eat nothin'.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson