380 Ammunition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

380 Ammunition

Post by RustyJr »

I am considering getting one of the new Glock 42s in 380 as a backup gun. For those of you that do carry 380s what ammunition do you carry in them?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Re: 380 Ammunition

Post by guido4198 »

Living in Florida as you apparently do as well, I'm not likely to encounter an individual in heavy clothing, etc.
I don't often carry my .380, but when I do it's loaded with Glasers.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I carry the Federal American Eagle FMJ-FP. This is a flat meplat design much like a cast bullet, and in my tests it penetrates water the same distance as my 9mm gold dots.

For more penetration there's the Buffalo Bore round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3b3ZGmZuT0

I don't believe this qualifies as a whimpy load.....

Grizz
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Almost any SD-type, agressive JHP that the gun will feed reliably (some won't).

I run at least a half-box (25) through any autoloader, before I use if as a CCW.

My "new-to-me", pristine, .380 Browning Model 1955 has the (lucky) habit of feeding everything I tried in it. (YMMV)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Silvertip or Grizzley's Extreme Self Defense. Both penetrated completely in 5 1/2 inches of old phone book, and both expanded each time. None of the others I tried worked right.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I would love to share with you but: All three of mine shoot from a locked link.
What I can do with a locked link and what other guns can do are two VERY different things.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Grizz wrote:I carry the Federal American Eagle FMJ-FP. This is a flat meplat design much like a cast bullet, and in my tests it penetrates water the same distance as my 9mm gold dots.

For more penetration there's the Buffalo Bore round:

I don't believe this qualifies as a whimpy load.....

Grizz
That is the way to go. With .380, penetration is the priority over expansion.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

guido4198 wrote:Living in Florida as you apparently do as well, I'm not likely to encounter an individual in heavy clothing, etc.
I don't often carry my .380, but when I do it's loaded with Glasers.
Skip the Glazers and other designer bullets - they have a very poor record. (Despite their claim that they are more effective than .45 ACP HP ammo.)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My grandson Jerry3's everyday carry gun is a Kel-Tec P3AT with any of the better HP rounds.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

RustyJr wrote:I am considering getting one of the new Glock 42s in 380 as a backup gun. For those of you that do carry 380s what ammunition do you carry in them?
RustyJr
While you are considering, I would consider two things:

First, the new Glock 42 is having a some issues. Lot of shooters are having problems with theirs. Glock is not being very quick to admit to the problems (they have never been quick to admit to problems, even as they offered "free upgrades") and they are not being quick to fix them. You may consider waiting until they get the issues smoothed out, if ever.

Second, with 9mm (or even .45 ACP) pistols available now in the same size or smaller than the Glock 42, it makes it harder to justify getting a .380 in a pistol that size.

Five years ago, .380 was the best choice in a small pistol like that. Now, I would tend toward a 9mm. I just shot an XD(s) in .45 ACP the other day and to say that I was impressed would be an understatement. While I think I would prefer the XD(s) 9mm, I was astounded at the accuracy I got from this pistol. I will post photos of the groups I shot when I get a chance. I shot a 6 round group that looked like 3 overlapping holes, and shot another three round group through the same holes. I pretty much don't shoot a pistol that well, ever.
My wife's Kimber Solo is really nice to shoot - the recoil is more comfortable and manageable than many .380s. Accuracy for me is right there with what i was getting from the XD(s) mentioned above.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I carry the ruger lcp as primary now, and the xd9sc as the backup. the ruger is super light, super reliable, and super accurate, and for some crazy reason, despite the trigger "pull", I can shoot it as well as any of my carry guns. astonishing really. it is so small it is invisible, can easily be carried in spots that would print anything else, and two of them would still be lighter, with the same quantity of ammo, as my xd-9 with the full size mag.

not selling them, but I am sold on them for a gun that never leaves me. I always have the 9 or 45 as well off the property, but in the house I am very comfortable carrying a gun I can truly forget about. it has more rounds than the xd45 single stack in about half the space.

the guy the racist criminal shot for his cell phone recently in seattle was shot with the ruger 380. it broke his spine. not a gun to underestimate.

just jawing about it, but it does have practical uses, especially with the potential to shoot the first 3 bgs in the stack with one round using the BB cast ammo.

Grizz
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Is that Buffalo Bore available as loaded ammo or just as cast bullets?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Grizz wrote:the guy the racist criminal shot for his cell phone recently in seattle was shot with the ruger 380. it broke his spine. not a gun to underestimate.
I wouldn't want to get shot with one.

There is something to be said for having a gun you are willing to carry. A pistol that fits the shooters needs and comfort, in a comfortable holster, is a pistol that will be there when needed.

A Desert Eagle in an IWB holster, be it ever so effective in smashing a bad guy, will not inside the waistband when needed. I can guarantee it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My very first carry piece was a S&W 317 AirLite, 8 shot, 22lr. (crazy heavy DA trigger :( ) I did not feel unprotected with 8 Stingers, and my current LCP will do fine and dandy with whatever ammo I put into it. I currently have some Federal JHPs that rip through the Seattle Phone Book Test *pat pend*. The trick is not to carefully put one round, it's to pump as many into his torso as possible.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

BlaineG wrote:The trick is not to carefully put one round, it's to pump as many into his torso as possible.
YES.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:Is that Buffalo Bore available as loaded ammo or just as cast bullets?
it's loaded ammo

here's the link: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=127

there are ballistic charts from actual firearms

I've never shot it, but I'd like to . . . :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

7.62 Precision wrote:
BlaineG wrote:The trick is not to carefully put one round, it's to pump as many into his torso as possible.
YES.
torso shots are not ideal in home defense, in my inexperienced opinion. methed up whackos can absorb a lot of lead without slowing down enough, according to what I've read.
I've never had to shoot a human, hope I never will. but I have shot a lot of deer, they are actually not very different from humans in bone size, density, and cavity size.... so there is something to learn from shooting them. the ones shot in the head, neck, or spine, drop right where they are at, and don't move. I've seen torso shot deer run a long ways at a high rate of speed, which is why I prefer the cns shot. if someone is inside my perimeter threatening my family, pumping the torso full of lead does not seem like a very bright option. to me. JMO. A heart-shot man can still pull a trigger.

Again, this is all theoretical because I have not faced the situation.

Grizz
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

According to Dr. Gary Roberts, most of the .380 loads in JHP don't reliably expand, and for such a small round, stick with FMJ for the penetration.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:
YES.
torso shots are not ideal in home defense, in my inexperienced opinion. methed up whackos can absorb a lot of lead without slowing down enough, according to what I've read.
I've never had to shoot a human, hope I never will. but I have shot a lot of deer, they are actually not very different from humans in bone size, density, and cavity size.... so there is something to learn from shooting them. the ones shot in the head, neck, or spine, drop right where they are at, and don't move. I've seen torso shot deer run a long ways at a high rate of speed, which is why I prefer the cns shot. if someone is inside my perimeter threatening my family, pumping the torso full of lead does not seem like a very bright option. to me. JMO. A heart-shot man can still pull a trigger.

Grizz
I never have either, but, it's certain that the bad guy is not going to stand still so you can precisely aim.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Kel tec PF-9. It's what glock should have built.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

7.62P nailed it. I love my .380's, but I doubt I'd ever get another. With many 9mm's now the same size overall, it just doesn't make sense to get one.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:7.62P nailed it. I love my .380's, but I doubt I'd ever get another. With many 9mm's now the same size overall, it just doesn't make sense to get one.
I actually shopped for a particular size.....the LCP lays perfectly flat upside down in my inside leather vest pocket. The vest leaves home with me every time.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

He was wearing it the day I met him.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:He was wearing it the day I met him.
I'll have that vest cremated with me..... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I believe you.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I agree that the 9mm pocket pistols are more appealing than a 380... but I already have a Colt Pony Pocketlite and enough ammo to last the rest of my life, and I don't sell Colts.

I carry both ball and HP in my 380. For self defense, use a 380 auto like a snubby revolver: empty the mag at close range.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can always carry the AirWeight with 158 +P JHPs...... :twisted: :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:
YES.

Grizz
I never have either, but, it's certain that the bad guy is not going to stand still so you can precisely aim.....
the deer don't stand still, and neither does the boat, good practice for bad encounters. I have shot a lot of deer from small boats, some of them bouncing pretty good in chop, plenty of them with a handgun.

Grizz
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I know they make some small 9mm pistols but I reckon it would be hard to find one the same size as the Kel Tec P3AT. The size is why my grandson carries his everyday in the front left pocket of his Levis.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have a Glock 42 on order, but now I'm rethinking it. The owner of the shop told me he was talking to a Glock exec at a trade show, and was told they already have the same gun in 9mm, but aren't going to release it for 2 years, so they can sell the 380's first. I may just wait on the 9mm. But that being said, I have no problem carrying a 380, my PPK is with me daily. I carry it with a cast 105 gr. flat nose. It penetrates very well.
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've posted most of these links before, but there are many new viewers and some may be interested.

My disclaimer is that I am not selling anything and not all of the info squares with my own experience and requirements. That said, the 380 might be the most underrated, unloved, and unappreciated round around. Right after the stupid gutless-wonder, the .22LR. :wink:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/380acp.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkscBbMGp5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zMLjGTAz4
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866
and of course Steve's page
http://www.stevespages.com/page8f380acp.html

hope someone finds something useful here
I think the throat and up is the proper stop button, but that's just a me thing.

Grizz
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

JerryB wrote:I know they make some small 9mm pistols but I reckon it would be hard to find one the same size as the Kel Tec P3AT. The size is why my grandson carries his everyday in the front left pocket of his Levis.
It would be even harder to find one the same size AND as affordable. There are a couple 9mms about the same size, but not nearly the same price range.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The reason for selecting the Glock in this situation is because of Dept. policies.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hold out for the singlestack 9 mm Glock. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. All the pistol manufactorers must really like the Glock, cause they all try to rip it off. :wink: