Re: Recent Forum Issues and post "funny business"...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hey guys,

We've been fighting a corrupt database (no, this is NOT political) and trying to get the forum back up again. Thanks for your patience. I posted about this this morning but it looks like it bit the dust in the continuing reconstruction (hey southerners - don't bristle at that term!)

Since about the 13th we've been having "issues" due to the corruption in the database. Give David Fagan a hand for stepping in and helping us get back up and running. If it had been yours truly running the show we'd all be back at loooooow post counts. :-D As it is, he's even getting some of the stickies stuck again - with the original info and posts and such.

Thanks for your patience. Hang in there, the ride may be bumpy but we're doing our best.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks for fixing this! I sure as heck didn't have a clue how to!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Methinks I'll take a powder, until things settle down again.......................... :roll:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I got this:
I was fairly confident it'd get better! Thanks are probably way overdue for all you and David do to keep the forum on track and issues nearly invisible to the rest of us!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

thanks guys!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Whew. Had me worried. Thank goodness
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Thanks for fixing my daily fix!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I don't have a clue how you fix a corrupt data base, but thanks for doing it!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

By the way - the update is not done yet. We're going to wait and see if things settle down first. HOPEFULLY it's under control and we can move on to dealing with the updated software and shutting down the spammers that are driving the moderators batty. You guys don't see that last part, but our moderation staff has been fighting quite a battle to keep spammers from taking over this place. Hopefully soon we'll get a breath in that battle as well.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Thanks for your hard work. I missed ya'll.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Thanks to everyone who has a hand in running this loony bin!
:)

Kevin
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

THANK YOU PAUL
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

AND ALL THE OTHERS INVOLVED IN SORTING THIS MESS OUT
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Paul, the IP and name banning seemed to stop working at least in part.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Savage wrote:Paul, the IP and name banning seemed to stop working at least in part.

Yes, sir. We'll be putting some measures in to tighten up security again as this restore/upgrade/etc rolls along. Right now ALL new registrations are shut down - but there's still a bunch of mice in the works that are posting spam. We'll nuke 'em one at a time 'till they're gone.
Paul - in Pereira

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am glad it is back up and running. Anyone want to use spammers and hackers for target practice?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote:I am glad it is back up and running. Anyone want to use spammers and hackers for target practice?
+1! Which target you want?

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That skunk one is perfect.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

THANKS to All for restoring the site. I couldn't get anything but error messages so I thought it was my problem. Called my grandson over and was told it was a site problem. Boy was I glad to hear that it was the site. Don't know anything about data bases but i enjoy reading the post most everyday. AGAIN THANKS ALL
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Thanks for all you guys hard work..same as above, had my grandson check it out for me..said it's the website, not my I pad.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Paul, thanks you and Dave and everyone else who works so hard to keep this place up and running.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Warning shot....

I don't know exactly when but between now and Monday ;)

I'm going to shutdown, do a manual backup MYSELF (for reasons I won't expand on), and do an upgrade.
It may take me 2-3 hours so if the board goes offline again it's HOPEFULLY me and not something else.

I have NO answers to what happened between March 14th at 4:30 to 2:45 but I sure hope we never see it again.
(Frankly I don't think it was us)

David.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks for the headsup, and more, David !

Hobie

UPDATE

Post by Hobie »

As Paul mentioned we have disabled registrations. Several folks who tried to register were upset that we didn't allow that. So, I contacted them all telling them that given a handle and email address I would attempt to register them myself in order to control the process. In that 2 minutes 5-6 spammers attempted to register and 1 actually posted TWICE! So, until David and Paul figure out what they are going to do next to reduce the number of spam attacks I will not do this for anyone.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I missed all the fun, being in the hospital again :( . But I witnessed first hand a couple years ago the almost instantaneous destruction of a forum by just one spammer.
I was on the forum and saw the spammer hitting. Within less than an hour he / it had jammed up every section of the forum.
It took the administrator months to clear it up, and by then the forum was dead.
The membership mostly went elsewhere.

My own ISP, Outdoors Unlimited has been under attack as well.

I don't think it's just spammers any more, I think it's a dedicated attack on any internet pro-gun / pro 2nd Amd forum or site.

Paul and David, thanks for all your hard work, without you we'd wandering around in circles of confusion.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

These spammers are a royal pain.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:I don't think it's just spammers any more, I think it's a dedicated attack on any internet pro-gun / pro 2nd Amd forum or site.
I would definitely agree with that.
J Miller wrote:Paul and David, thanks for all your hard work, without you we'd wandering around in circles of confusion.
Gosh, I do that enough already, even without their help. . . :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

AJMD429 wrote:
J Miller wrote:I don't think it's just spammers any more, I think it's a dedicated attack on any internet pro-gun / pro 2nd Amd forum or site.
J Miller wrote:Paul and David, thanks for all your hard work, without you we'd wandering around in circles of confusion.
+ 1 :lol:

Re: The spammers , is there a way to add a simple question to the registration page ?
Not sure what it could be , but something pretty easy may stop a lot of the random spammers .
Another forum I used to enjoy was focused mostly on the Adirondacks . One of the admin's added the question : What 3 letter abbreviation is often used to refer to the Adirondacks ?
Mind you , the URL starts with ADK.... , but we went from 5 - 20 spammers / day to zero with that question.
While that won't stop a dedicated individual , it may free up some of the moderators time to watch for the harmful ones instead of deleting chinese shoe or hand bag spammers.
Phil
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

1894 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

Re: The spammers , is there a way to add a simple question to the registration page ?
Not sure what it could be , but something pretty easy may stop a lot of the random spammers .
Another forum I used to enjoy was focused mostly on the Adirondacks . One of the admin's added the question : What 3 letter abbreviation is often used to refer to the Adirondacks ?
Mind you , the URL starts with ADK.... , but we went from 5 - 20 spammers / day to zero with that question.
While that won't stop a dedicated individual , it may free up some of the moderators time to watch for the harmful ones instead of deleting chinese shoe or hand bag spammers.
Certainly would have stopped me from registering I wouldn't have had a clue, there's 5 questions now that are randomly chosen. Need to make up new ones since they do get "learned".
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

David wrote:[Certainly would have stopped me from registering I wouldn't have had a clue, there's 5 questions now that are randomly chosen. Need to make up new ones since they do get "learned".
Suggestions:
  • Why is the 444 Marlin a better cartridge than the 45-70...? :o

How do Winchesters suck compared to Marlins...? :o :o

Why are Ruger 96/22's better than Marlin 39a's...? :o :o :o
:lol:

Only the trolls and spammers could answer those ones succinctly; real levergunners would either write a four-page essay or have a heart-attack.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

1894 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

We had that in place - and from mid-December to mid-March we had over 17,000 spammers register. Not all of them activated their account, but somewhere around 4,000 did so. This time frame corresponded with a very busy time in our ministry and a lack of time to check in here. The first thing I knew about it was when the ingested/digested food stuff impacted the oscillating air moving device. Anyway, we're checking into what it'll take to shut 'em down to a dull roar at least. It took quite a while to divest the roles of those 17,000+ spammers, by the way.
Paul - in Pereira

jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

A number of forums seem to be having problems and not just outdoor/shooting forums. One I belong to dealing with astronomy recently did an "upgrade" but had to go back to the old format after severe problems developed.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

jackruff wrote:A number of forums seem to be having problems and not just outdoor/shooting forums. One I belong to dealing with astronomy recently did an "upgrade" but had to go back to the old format after severe problems developed.
This forum is not "mine" I'm the can you help guy ;)

I run quite a few forums mostly all gun related, its a nightmare out there. With questions and doing diligence on blocking sites versus just deleting spam posts (but that's more work) it helps a lot. I keep hoping for a break though with this software on better answers and I don't like modifications even if "supported" some of those can come back and bite you VERY hard.

I just moderate the first post for everyone since I don't want to see Britney's t.. every and plug along. I don't moderate here I'm just toooo busy with other collector organizations forums.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

David wrote:
jackruff wrote:A number of forums seem to be having problems and not just outdoor/shooting forums. One I belong to dealing with astronomy recently did an "upgrade" but had to go back to the old format after severe problems developed.
This forum is not "mine" I'm the can you help guy ;)

I run quite a few forums mostly all gun related, its a nightmare out there. With questions and doing diligence on blocking sites versus just deleting spam posts (but that's more work) it helps a lot. I keep hoping for a break though with this software on better answers and I don't like modifications even if "supported" some of those can come back and bite you VERY hard.

I just moderate the first post for everyone since I don't want to see Britney's t.. every and plug along. I don't moderate here I'm just toooo busy with other collector organizations forums.
What about using something like captcha http://www.captcha.net/
The Lord Bless You

Terry
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Had that, don't work.

The one build in to the board also allows a (I don't know what they call it offhand) but makes it harder and harder to read, it you make it totally unreadable it stops the spam but everyone else as well.

I think actually questions are the best AND hum... Maybe a dynamic question that points to a post that has the answer... Just a thought.