What ever happended to Wind?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I know I was gone a long time, but I used to really enjoy his posts and his long range shooting ability. Felt like he was a brother.
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: What ever happended to Wind?

Post by Malamute »

Is he the same guy that posts on the bushcraftUSA forum under the name whit spurzon? Or is that his buddy? I think one or the other. Whit spurzon still posts some in the firearms section on bushcraft.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I am not at all sure, but I thought Whit was his accomplice in arms. Thanks for the post 'Mute. Much obliged!!!
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I think he posts over at Marlin owners now.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I get an email every blue moon. .....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

EdinCT wrote:I think he posts over at Marlin owners now.
Aye.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

He posts on the Marlin owners forum.
Check under unusual or obsolete calibres and then 38-55 and you will find him.
He is still shooting 38-55's at long ranges.
Pop
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

CowboyTutt wrote:I am not at all sure, but I thought Whit was his accomplice in arms. Thanks for the post 'Mute. Much obliged!!!
-Tutt

Upon further reflection, I believe you are correct.

Whit posts some vids, and Wind is in many of them. Thanks for stirring up the brain cells.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I sure do enjoy watching their videos.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

We're still around. Still making videos. Still having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmSM0FfQxAo

Wind is the shooter in the video. I'm the spotter.

We're getting ready to kick-off the new season with some "new" rifles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UTqJar ... tinLHGw9tA
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Whit, nice to see you here again. I really enjoy your videos and posts. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. Maybe you could post here from time to time still? I would sure enjoy the read and vids. Regards, 8)

-Tutt

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

me too me too me too
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here's a great one from this last September!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5Frxe ... tinLHGw9tA

That's a pretty light bullet to be using at that kind of range. Impressive shooting! I counted it out, and it takes 12 seconds from the report of the rifle for the bullet to hit and the sound to return to the shooter. That's a long time!!!! :lol:

-Tutt

Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Thanks again for the encouragement CowboyTutt.

Just back from a weekend at the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch and I posted some fresh videos in another thread (New Old Rifles).

The ground was too wet to get sighted in on the longer range dingers but we did manage to get out to 400 with all the rifles and the 650 with Wind's 1895 Cowboy as we already had the sight settings. Without the dust it was really hard to see misses so it was more guessing than reading the wind.

Hat Tip to you Sir,
Whit
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

CowboyTutt wrote:HI counted it out, and it takes 12 seconds from the report of the rifle for the bullet to hit and the sound to return to the shooter. That's a long time!!!! :lol:

-Tutt
You sure? A .45-70 puts a bullet on a 1000 yds target in well under 3.5 seconds. The sound of the bullet hitting the target gets back to the shooting line in less time than the bullet needed going from the firing line to the target.

If you preposition spotting scope next to you, you can shoot from a prone position and roll into a spotting scope to watch your bullet hit.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Brent, you would seem to be correct. I asked someone who would know at the Friend's of Billy Dixon shooting range who has shot there many times. I asked him how long it would take the sound of a 500 grain bullet at 1150-1300 fps from the rapport of the rifle to hit the target and the sound come back and reach the shooter. He responded about 9.5 seconds. Since the FoBD target is at 1538 yards, half again the 1000 yards mentioned, then 6-7 seconds would seem about right.

However in the posted video, I did count it out and it did seem to take about 12 seconds with the 38-55 but maybe I was counting too fast.

Whit, I did a search here but couldn't find that post. I will look for your most recent video's on You Tube and report back. 8)

Thanks Guys,

-Tutt

BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Tutt,
I shoot a lot of 1000 yds blackpowder targets for competition and I find this website
http://www.mega.nu/traj.html
to be absolutely super for working up sight settings and learning a bit about how wind and distance affect bullet drop. I've also spent a lot of time in the pits listening for shots and waiting on the bullet.

Creedmoor shooting (800-900-1000 yds) is a whole lotta fun! I would do it every day if I could. Never tried a repeater levergun - just the singleshots and muzzleloaders.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Cowboy Tutt: Try this http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=58687

Using the video timer it looks like the shot goes off about 1:56 and the sound gets back about 2:04-ish to me on the first hit. We've talked over hits many times and sometimes miscalled a shot that looked like a miss but turned out to be a hit with lead splash off to one side or short.

This video is an example of that at about 1:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bN2Gcd3OGw
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Whit, that is some impressive off hand shooting at 800 yards! Thanks for all the links. I'm casting my custom Mauser bullets with a friend this Thursday. Hope to have some pics. -Tutt