You can't make this stuff up...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

You can't make this stuff up...

Post by earlmck »

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Oregon owners of a 22-pound housecat who trapped them in their bedroom after attacking their baby say they're not giving up on their pet and are getting it medical attention and therapy.

Two days after police arrived to subdue the 4-year-old part-Himalayan cat, owner Lee Palmer of Portland says he's taking the feline to a veterinarian. A pet psychologist also is due at the house to see the cat, named Lux.

Palmer says the animal attacked after the 7-month-old child pulled its tail. The baby wasn't injured.

On the 911 call, the cat can be heard screeching in the background as Palmer says in a panicked voice: "He's charging us. He's at our bedroom door." Palmer also tells the dispatcher the cat has a "history of violence."

Officers used a dog snare to capture the cat, and placed it in a crate

Another chapter of the book "The Species is Too Dumb to Survive". And we're not talking Felis silvestris catus.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: You can't make this stuff up...

Post by Blaine »

More than once I've had cats run me off with their aggression....There was a pair of siamese when I was a kid with a paper route....I could not get on their porch.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I saw recent research that found that cats have very low intelligence, almost none. They act almost entirely on instinct and can only be trained in areas that coincide with their instinctive behavior. I don't think a psychologist will be much help.

As far as therapy goes, cats are tough and rimfire ammo is at a premium now, so .22 rimfire therapy is out. I would suggest larger caliber therapy for more positive results.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

They are also tough, I have seen cats take solid vital organ area hits ( from rimfire ) and runoff at great speed.
If they later succomed to wounds, I do not know.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I shot a cat 4 times with a .22 LR rifle at close range in the head. I was out of ammo at that point, and the cat staggered around for a few seconds, then just stood with its head hanging as it bled out through its head.

My brother stuck three prongs of a small pitchfork through one, scraped her off, tied a piece of twine around her neck so he wouldn't have to touch her, and threw her off an outcropping into a pile of junk behind the barn (he figured she was dead). A couple weeks later, there she was with a batch of kittens.

I ran over a kitten with the rear wheel of a Massey-Ferguson 1150 tractor (the wheel is taller than I am). I looked back and the kitten was molded into the tread print of the rut (ground was somewhat soft) The kitten popped its head out, then pushed itself out and stalked off with a stiff body. It was pretty funny to watch, because I thought sure it was dead at first. I couldn't find any obvious injuries.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the oldest cat breeds are about 7 lbs. and are very sociable animals. This is what you get from centuries of inbreeding. Then there's the cat...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Im a dog guy like most guys here. We also have many cats, maybe 10 with most of them in the barn doing what they do best. We did not start this last week. It started for my wife and I back around 1960 when we were old enough to understand animals.

Your not gonna like this but cats are smarter than dogs. The wildness has been bred out of dogs where cats are still operating on "wild". They have their own mind and you can't tell them what to do. Dogs usually have to be trained or showed how to do something smart. Cats do it on their own.

One of our house cats is a Siamese who does not like to be touched in any way for more than about 10 seconds. After that, she attacks with vengence.

Is what amazes me is the guy who called 911 to report what happened. A cat is just that, a cat. Boot it real good. The guy still weighs 8-10 times as much as the cat. I heard he did boot it, but there is "booting", and there is "booting". Be a man! I would be ashamed to admit a man had me cornered, let alone a cat. :D

Old heads here will recognize this Marlin, my personal "cat rifle". Works real nice. They dont move much, if any at all when the 45 gr. Hornady "Bee" bullet bites 'em.-------6

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Mescalero wrote:They are also tough, I have seen cats take solid vital organ area hits ( from rimfire ) and runoff at great speed.
If they later succomed to wounds, I do not know.
Yes they do!

The last aggressive cat I saw attacked my dog while I had him on a leash, walking. As it approached I hauled off and gave it a hard kick to the mid section. It sailed back about 8-10 feet and started its approach again, then it decided it was better to hide until we passed by and slinked (slunked?) under a parked car. I would much rather have shot it but not walking around town.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Cornered by a house-cat" - - - amazing. Some of the bigger dog breeds, certainly - but a 22 pound cat. . . ???

I'm the boss of my house, and any animal or person (except the wife) who 'corners' me in my own home will never again be in my house unless it has been to a taxidermist to prepare it for wall hanging.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Gee, you mean they didn't come over and taser the cat? Isn't that what they usually do to people who don't listen?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: (except the wife)
Yea, Doc, I'm with ya on that one. You ought to see what an Italian can do when they are mad. -----6
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

This sounds like a case for Jackson Galaxy, cat psychologist !

This gentleman has a tv show on Animal Planet dealing with problem kitties -- (my wife's a fan) --- i shudder to think what his income level is (best not to think about it :lol: )

----- Doug
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Sixgun wrote: Your not gonna like this but cats are smarter than dogs. The wildness has been bred out of dogs where cats are still operating on "wild". They have their own mind and you can't tell them what to do. Dogs usually have to be trained or showed how to do something smart. Cats do it on their own.
Actually, they are far less intelligent than dogs, and far less intelligent than people previously thought. They are very independent and do things on their own, but it is because they are operating on a very locked-in instinct. They are like sharks on land. They don't need intelligence, because their instincts are so perfectly tuned to their role in the world. This is why cats cannot be trained counter to their instinctive behavior.

The example often used by researchers is the open door. You keep a cat and a dog in the same house from when they are small. One day, the dog finds the door open and runs out. You catch the dog, but it has tasted freedom and wants to go out any time the door is open. You can train the dog to stay inside, unless you tell it to go out.
The cat find the same door open and goes out. You can do whatever you like, but every time the door is open after that, it will run for the door. You cannot train it to stay inside.

A dog also is an instinctive creature, and while they are somewhat intelligent, they cannot reason. So they trust their instinct above all else. The difference is that a dog can be trained to trust a person above his instinct, so that when his instinct tells him one thing, he will follow the commands of a person and do the opposite. His instincts can also be formed and altered, so he instinctively does an unnatural thing in a certain situation. He can learn to look to a human for guidance in any scary or confusing situation, instead of just acting instinctively.
This is why we don't have to use litter boxes for dogs, and can use them for useful tasks, like tracking and finding bombs and drugs, hunting, dogsledding, guiding the blind, etc.

Now cats have been changed through domestication, which has given them certain traits and removed others, like making them smaller and removing the natural inhibition against killing more than they eat, which is one reason I don't like to have cats - they kill and kill for no reason. My grandfather had a barn full of cats, only a few of which actually had any use in killing mice. The rest just caused problems and killed rabbits and songbirds by the hundreds. I think if you keep cats for mousers, then you have to select them.

When bring in a mixture of the larger wild cats, they can be quite dangerous (even housecoats are dangerous in ways. Cats in the house a leading cause of miscarriages, and children who grow up with a cat in the house are much more susceptible to allergies of various kinds. A number of babies also get sick or die from being around cats.)

When I was three, my parents had friends that had a bobcat/manx mix that used to stalk me. They caught it a few times just as it was starting to spring, and it fought them to get to me. It was nearly as large as a bobcat.
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Whoa. That "cat guru" (!?) is one weird lookin dude. Far be it from me to critique someone's looks...but I have my limits and that guy goes way beyond them.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Streetstar wrote: Image
I could believe his shirt if he looked like a real man.

And hung out with real cats, like tigers or something.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I kinda also agree that cats are too smart to play pavlov's dog
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

bulldog1935 wrote:I kinda also agree that cats are too smart to play pavlov's dog
The science does not back this up. On the other hand, you know those little green anole lizards that change color and hang out in trees in the Southeastern US? Turns out they can solve puzzles like a chimpanzee.

We tend judge intelligence by our own standards and expectations, projecting human traits and characteristics onto animals to evaluate their intelligence, their motives, and behavior. The result is that we see intelligence where there is little, or fail to recognize intelligence in other animals.

The animal that we brag about for being so intelligent may not be that smart at all, but we attribute intelligence to instinctive behavior. On the other hand, we may see an animal's actions as being stupid, but it is because that animal cannot reason like we do, even though it is a fairly intelligent animal.

I see this in dogs all of the time - people do not train their dogs correctly because they have human expectations for an animal that is not human. This is easy with dogs because they are perfectly suited to be a companion animal to humans. They have a body language we can easily understand, they read facial expressions in the same manner that we do, and often seem almost human. The problem is when people try to deal with them as if they are human, and discipline them in ways they do not understand or cannot connect with the behavior.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJMD429 wrote:"Cornered by a house-cat" - - - amazing. Some of the bigger dog breeds, certainly - but a 22 pound cat. . . ???

I'm the boss of my house, and any animal or person (except the wife) who 'corners' me in my own home will never again be in my house unless it has been to a taxidermist to prepare it for wall hanging.
+ 1. oh yes ! you betcha !!!
cable
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I am amazed that guy didn't even try to throw the bed blanket over the thing. I understand it is a pet, and the 12 gauge would anger the wife, but like Sixgun said, its still a small animal, and there were two grown adults there to show the creature who the boss is. Those two adults are the ones who desperately need some training. Yes, it can be vicious, frightening, and dangerous if it thinks it is the king predator, that is why being timid only made it worse.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The 32-20 is medicine for critters that are kitty cat size and bigger. :shock: .
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Huh, not exactly 'Man bites Dog'.

Cat dominates puzzy?

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

A friend trained several cats that would rush his sliding glass door to get indoors to be first to the food dish whenever he was heading out ...All but the dumbest one were trained when he dropped a couple of lit firecrackers in their faces when they made the rush to get in ...Most ran away from the door the next time he opened it :lol: The dumb one needed a second dose...He says every once and a while they need a refresher...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

junkbug wrote:I understand it is a pet, and the 12 gauge would anger the wife, but like Sixgun said, its still a small animal, and there were two grown adults there to show the creature who the boss is.
It's not about angering the wife, it is about the stain that is so hard to get out of the carpet . . .

Actually, I doubt a couple who was hiding in their bedroom from a housecat were the type to blow it to quivering bits with a 12 gauge. :lol:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Sixgun wrote:Old heads here will recognize this Marlin, my personal "cat rifle". Works real nice. They dont move much, if any at all when the 45 gr. Hornady "Bee" bullet bites 'em.-------6

I was hoping the Cat Rifle would make an appearance. I suspect that blunt Bee slug is the final word on cat control.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jazman wrote:Whoa. That "cat guru" (!?) is one weird lookin dude. Far be it from me to critique someone's looks...but I have my limits and that guy goes way beyond them.
:P :P :P :P So.....How do you like your men to look? (Please smile, I'm joking :P )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

BlaineG wrote:
jazman wrote:Whoa. That "cat guru" (!?) is one weird lookin dude. Far be it from me to critique someone's looks...but I have my limits and that guy goes way beyond them.
:P :P :P :P So.....How do you like your men to look? (Please smile, I'm joking :P )
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:
Blaine, the guy is bald with a beard--- I figured you would be one of his supporters. :D :D :D
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Blaine, the guy is bald with a beard--- I figured you would be one of his supporters. :D :D :D
Hopefully, I present an entirely different image.... :twisted: :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

While I like cats well enough (other peoples cats), IF I was stooped enough to have a cat in my house and it acted like that it would get a load of 3" .410 #4 bird shot! OK, MAYBE 2 1/2"!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK, I need you to explain something to me......why is Garfield always getting over on Odie? Come on, explain that one :D and in the other comic strip, "Get Fuzzy", the Siamese cat is always making fun of the dog. :D

I hear ya and you did explain it with research to back it up. Makes sense. I wrote my observations from what my wife and I have seen over the years. Cats are definitely more sneaky. Our dogs are always chasing the cats and the cats outwit them every time, sometimes sitting on a perch looking down at the dogs while the dogs are rubber necking looking for the cats.

Either way, cats and dogs sure do provide for lots of entertainment around here.

McNut job,I have never taken a picture of a deceased cat due to what other might do...you know, call PETA, even when they deserved the fast traveling chunk of hot lead. Maybe that's why these people in the news did not do what they knew they should have done. Every cat lover in the world would be calling for their heads on a platter.

Anyway, here's the cat rifle in action on a mangy fox a few years back.

This is another one. I did this one a favor. Same day...I doubled on foxes.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

A mate told me a house cat scratched him bad when he was a wee mite in a high chair. His dad chased the cat out and cornered him under the farm truck and gave the cat both barrels of his 12 gauge. Justice was served but he managed to cause $8k of damage under the truck. His words.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Definitely two people too stupid to own a pet. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Or, maybe they're not intelligent enough to proper train their pet there in Portland... :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Griff wrote:Definitely two people too stupid to own a pet. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You got that right :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

When my 13-y-o Akita snapped at my 5-y-o daughter, I put her down. I cried like a baby over the dog, but it remained a simple choice.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Only in Portland. It's motto is "Keep Portland Weird", this is no joke. My wife and I were ROTFL when we saw it on the news on TV. Both my wife and I have lived in the same 2 sq mile area in Portland for all of our lives(me 63 & her 52). The place is getting so weird that we plan on moving to Vancouver, WA or rural Clackamas county in the next few years, anywhere but this liberal nuthouse they call Portland. It is hard to think of that after living in the same small area all your life, but I just can't stand it here anymore.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have a retained 1st grade student at one of my schools with fetal alcohol syndrome who attacked his school principal today. He did manage to hit the principal in the throat and managed a kick to the groin. He was going for the metal stapler to use next before he was stopped. Our principal was not really hurt, but the threat was real and level of violence startling. So, I recommend this:

We air drop this student into Putin's house in Russia and we air drop Lux the Cat into the White House. My student will keep Putin busy for a day, and show him not all Americans are weak-kneed sniveling cowards.

And I think Lux the Cat is more than a match for Obama. Maybe Obama will apply some sanctions on his cat food AFTER he has taken over a guest room. Yeah, that will work.

:twisted:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

strange thing about that Jackson guy is that he looks in the mirror and chooses to look that way