Need some opinions on a 94 Winchester gun buy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Need some opinions on a 94 Winchester gun buy

Post by geobru »

LGS has a 1961 Winnie 1894 30-30, asking $450. Metal is in decent shape with good bluing color and a little bit of freckling on the edge of the receiver. Wood is unsanded and has the usual wear and tear one expects on a used gun of this vintage. The sights have been changed to a peep on the receiver and taller blade on the front sight. I'm thinking that OTD $400 would be an OK deal. What do you think?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Need some opinions on a 94 Winchester gun buy

Post by Shasta »

I think you have a firm grasp on the situation.

As described, that pre-'64 Winchester's asking price in my area would be around $500-$550 if not more, but of course used gun prices, like used cars prices, can usually be negotiated downward.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I hope you're driving back to pick it up as I'm typing this. Show pics when you get it home! Sounds like a decent "shooter"... at a reasonable price.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello,

It is always difficult to pin a possible value on something I can't see. Assuming that the bluing is original
and that there are no sling attachments holes in the stock the price is reasonable.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Did you check the bore and the crown??

I've seen more than a few Winchesters and Marlins with damaged crowns and marks in the first few inches of the bore resulting from not using a bore guide.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Sounds like a really good price on a vintage rifle...but...

I would take a serious look at the barrel rifling, especially up near the muzzle. Be a shame if Bubba did a lot of cleaning over the years and the last six inches of barrel are worn smooth.

If so, I'd negotiate the price down some. Still would buy it, no collector value so it could be cut down to a trapper. (grin)
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Great minds think alike!

That's funny. I was taking my time doing a post and there's a similar one just before me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geobro,
Depends on why you want it and how old you are. There's a pelosi load of them out there and most are in good shape.

If you just want it for what it is and what it's for, you know, shoot it, hunt with it, the price is fair. For $450, it had better be 98% or better.

If you want to buy it for investment purposes, you should be in your twenties or thirties.

A bud of mine who has a little gunshop has a like new 32 Spl. in the more desirable earlier vintage (1952) for 5. Been sitting there for 3 months or more.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Thanks for the input.
It is a pretty good deal, but Sixgun, your comments describe what I have been thinking. I'm not 30 (30x2+!), but I don't need another 94 in 30-30. I have a 1951 already. I think I'll take a look in a few weeks to see what happens. If it is still there, I may toss out an offer that he will accept. 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

geobru wrote:LGS has a 1961 Winnie 1894 30-30, asking $450. Metal is in decent shape with good bluing color and a little bit of freckling on the edge of the receiver. Wood is unsanded and has the usual wear and tear one expects on a used gun of this vintage. The sights have been changed to a peep on the receiver and taller blade on the front sight. I'm thinking that OTD $400 would be an OK deal. What do you think?

$550-$600 would be an OK deal ! - why R U gassing aboutit instead of showing us your new rifle? :mrgreen:

There's always room for another .30-30........ (A Monday gun, a Tuesday gun, a Wednesday............ ;) )

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

$400 for a $600 gun sounds alright to me
----- Doug