"Life Below Zero" is on YouTube

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

"Life Below Zero" is on YouTube

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks to member Malamute for mentioning "Life Below Zero" video which I believe he said was on TV.

Maybe it's been mentioned here before but I found it on YouTube. 10 parts each about 44 minutes. It jumps from one Alaskan "wilderness liver" to another but still pretty entertaining. I'm ready for part 4 and will definitely watch all 10.

True personal freedom, as they experience it, can come at a pretty high price but if that's the life style some people like best--more power to them. After all, HAPPINESS is the real bottom line--not money.

Don
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: "Life Below Zero" is on YouTube

Post by wvfarrier »

I really like that show. Survival in the extreme
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I should look them up and bookmark them. I watched some of the first ones, Ji was posting them on bushcraft, but I didn't keep up with it.

Chip (Caribou) was talking about it in some of his posts, they told the TV people they weren't doing any drama, just real life, or they were out. They went along with it. They may try to drama up some of the others, I don't know. Editing loses some of the real life stuff, but they do have to condense it down to fit the allotted time frame.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A really good show. Funny how the one family hunts with a Moisin Nagant and they do fine with it.

Another hunter hunting caribou does fine with an AR in .223.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Just finished watching all 10 parts of "Life Below Zero." Took over 7 hours to see it all. Enjoyed a lot of it but some things I'd have changed. The "Drama music" was way over done. Jumping back and forth between the people and their locations was really for the birds. Yet, glad to have seen it for sure.

Malamute. Do you know if Chip Hailstone and his wife use mostly or all full metal jacketed bullets for their hunting? Appears they do. Using your links Chip mentioned more than once the bullets passed all the way through.

Seemed like Chip and his wife had many expensive things and yet they use the old guns and without a scope. Puzzles me they would not at least use a scope. I also don't know why she didn't use "sticks" for supporting her rifle on many of her shots. Some steadying with a sling would also have helped. When harvesting meat is so important I again can in no way understand why they don't have scopes on their guns or newer guns with scopes.

My favorite person out of all of them was Chip's wife. She can do it all and with a wonderful attitude. The young man with the trap line also made a good impression on me. His choice of guns are not mine but he gets the job done. He did have scopes on his long guns and for living off the country that seems very important to me.

I might take Haines or Juneau but close or above the artic circle is too much cold for me !

Don
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Don, I think he's addressed some of those questions in posts I've seen on bushcraft or The High Road. It's been a while since I saw all of them though. I believe he's had trouble with scopes at times, and is generally satisfied with the Mosins in any event. Agnes hit her bear twice very close together, neck shots I think, at a couple hundred yards with the irons, and Chip generally shoots pretty well also. Another factor is ammo. For example, 223 ammo is about $40/box there, and he can order the Mosin ammo in bulk for very cheap compared to any of the sporting ammo calibers. I think they shoot a fair bit for practice, and just because they enjoy it.

I think he likes the reliability of the Mosins in the extreme conditions, but don't recall specifics of his comments on the matter. I believe they have some Russian guns, but he mainly prefers the Finnish guns.

He's mentioned that the show edits their hunting film footage quite a bit, and has called some shots misses that weren't, and doesn't give a straight timeline on most events, like the wolf hunts. It's edited to make their show look like they want it to, and fit their time frame they make for each group they show on the program.

A quote from a post on The High Road,
...The Mosin is a VERY accurate rifle, its the ammo thats gotta be chosen with care, as well as the person shooting has to have 'skills'. Good surplus is Czeck silver tip, as its accurate and tumbles to great effect, while others , we avoid, are not so consistent and accurate. .223 in a store is 40$ a box of 20 around here, whilst the wife has some cases of Czeck, bulk buy, 68$ a case of 800 7 years and 12 cases later. As well, shes been buying Soviet "EXTRA" and EXTRA MATCH" bythe case of 360rds in a case, used in her PU scoped 91/30, also exceedingly accurate ammo.

The M-39 is the hight of Mosin Nagantness. The M-39 my wife carries has been on every trip she's taken for almost 11 yaers, its not pretty anymore, but the bore is pristine
It looks like theyve been through about 10,000 rds of the Czeck ammo, not to mention other stuff they've used, like the Russian ammo.

Read a bit more of his posts, it looks like his wife handloads a fair bit of her ammo.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?