Carry of a j-frame for ccw

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Carry of a j-frame for ccw

Post by rjohns94 »

I usually like a strong side carry with a paddle type holster so that if I need to take it off, it's an easy task. I'm re thinking this and looking to ask how, if you did carry a j frame, would you carry it? I checked out 6 different holsters today for it and I think I am leaning to something different. Your thoughts?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Carry of a j-frame for ccw

Post by octagon »

I keep a J frame in the kitchen where I spend a lot of time. Be sure and check our own 7.62 precision's web site, he has a ton of holster options, and read his blog - he is one of us for sure, I am soon to order from him myself for the G-20.
I would lean toward a pocket holster for such a small gun - perfect application.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That black leather vest you saw me in never goes without a pocket sleeve, and LCP, or, AirWeight, or AirLite....Inside left pocket.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Carried my hammerless j-frame with the Barami Hip Grip.
After about a week it felt very good and even with a tight shirt out it didn't show.
Never shot my treasure chest either! :lol:
Probably not the best way though?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Last edited by cshold on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

But it is nice to look at!
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I carry a S&W 637 in a pocket holster... Nobody has ever noticed it. Light enough to always carry.
.38 +p... Hopefully it'll work good if I need it!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Pocket carry works well for those little revolvers, and strong side in either a pancake type holster on the belt or an IWB holster. I like one that I can tuck. If you get belt loops with snaps, you can still remove the pistol from the belt easily. I use IWB almost always, carrying full-sized semis. A J-Frame carries much more nicely.

A lot of people like an IWB in the appendix position, and people who spend a lot of time in vehicles sometimes favor a crossdraw, but strong side on the belt is the most practical place for drawing from. This has to be balanced with concealment and practicality considerations.

I don't like paddle holsters. The reason I don't like them is there are few really good paddle designs (we have a good one, but only because people insist on them), and most importantly, people who buy paddle holster normally are going to try to wear them without a belt on their sweatpants or boxer shorts, or stuffed in a speedo or something.

A paddle holster will hold the pistol further from your body, too, which is something you don't want with a J-Frame, since they carry so nice if you keep them tight against the body.

You can also consider a shoulder holster, but I feel they should only be used with careful consideration and appropriate training, and it is a lot of holster, harness, and expense for a pistol that can be carried so nicely with other methods.

These would be my preferred methods for that revolver:

Pocket:

Tuckable:
ImageImage
Last edited by 7.62 Precision on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

octagon wrote: I would lean toward a pocket holster for such a small gun - perfect application.
I also use one a lot with a model 60 or 351.
It is not the critic who counts
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Last edited by cshold on Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

J-frames best live in pocket holsters.

I won't carry one as a primary CCW piece anymore as I've seen enough situations where five rounds was NOT enough, but having one in hand, in pocket is generally a nice thing.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I've carried one mexican for 30 years. Holsters make it too obvious.

When I could'nt carry it waist-height, I used a clean-up (ankle) holster. I'm right handed, I wore the holster on the inside of my left ankle.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I carry the Colt Cobra, dehorned and sporting a Tyler T in a pocket holster, usually in my vest pocket but it works in a pants pocket too. The aluminum frame gives it light weight and I really like the idea of that 6th shot. Probably not really important except for peace of mind. I do carry a speed loader too so have 12 shots on hand. Yes, I do practice with it and I'm no Mikeluk but feel pretty confident in my ability.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I like in pocket carry for my 642, and have had a Robert Mika pocket holster for many years. Just excellent, does the job perfectly, light, wears well. He is a heck of a nice guy to deal with too, and his prices are very reasonable.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetiungs
Have carried a 5 shot 38 Special for near 15 years down here with nothing but a Hip-Grip. I know that is not a holster but sure has proved very versitle and functional for me. Walking,car, motorcycle and hiking the desert it stays where I hang it. Cross draw or strong side or small of the back.
I liked it so much I made a similar Hip Grip for my 3" S&W model 13. But I have sold that to a new missionary here who was without.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have one of the CrossBreed Supertuck Deluxe holsters that I used for several years before my work took me into a lot of crawl spaces and attics. I had to switch to a mousegun cause the grip caught on everything.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

My wife carries her j-frame in her purse. I carry my LC9 in my pocket.
Happy Trails!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I carry a J frame every day in a Kramer pocket holster. It is no problem. Pocket carry is very pocket dependent. Most jeans I have had make pocket carry impossible. If I was going to carry a J frame on my belt I would get a pancake type holster. Something like a Lobo enhanced pancake. Paddle holsters aren't a good choice most of the time. You could just get a Fobus if you wanted a paddle.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

IWB is the way to go
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm having to reconfigure my carry style for anything larger than a flat pocket auto.

Apparently my lateral femoral cutaneous nerve and I are not getting along as well as we once did, so wearing a strong-side holster, either IWB or on the belt aggravates it, making my leg go numb.

As my "daily carry" is a deep cover mouse gun, that's not a problem, but carrying even my SP101 for more than a few hours, regardless of belt size, does my leg in.

Still, my SP has a "clip draw" on it (works like a hip clip) and I have couple of holsters, but I may need to go to *** or some other format once coat season is over... (Does anyone make an IWB/***? I'm skinny(ish) with a swayback so I've got a lot of room back there...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

2571 wrote:I've carried one mexican for 30 years. Holsters make it too obvious.
A good holster can make it less obvious.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

When I could'nt carry it waist-height, I used a clean-up (ankle) holster. I'm right handed, I wore the holster on the inside of my left ankle.

You carried one Mexican?

Was he from Guadalajara, Chihuahua, or Ensenada? Maybe from Mexico City?

:mrgreen:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Old Ironsights wrote:I'm having to reconfigure my carry style for anything larger than a flat pocket auto.

Apparently my lateral femoral cutaneous nerve and I are not getting along as well as we once did, so wearing a strong-side holster, either IWB or on the belt aggravates it, making my leg go numb.

As my "daily carry" is a deep cover mouse gun, that's not a problem, but carrying even my SP101 for more than a few hours, regardless of belt size, does my leg in.

Still, my SP has a "clip draw" on it (works like a hip clip) and I have couple of holsters, but I may need to go to *** or some other format once coat season is over... (Does anyone make an IWB/***? I'm skinny(ish) with a swayback so I've got a lot of room back there...
You can use a traditional IWB to carry farther back on the back, or you might try moving it forward to an appendix location, or a cross draw, if it comes to that. Whatever you do, try to keep from carrying any part of the pistol behind your spine - being in a wheelchair would be even worse than having a leg go numb. This is the biggest reason we generally discourage small-of-back carry (concealment is harder there, too).

Shoot me an email and we will talk about it. We usually wouldn't do this, but I would be willing to send you a couple different holsters to try in order to solve the problem and come up with the best solution.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

MrMurphy wrote:
You carried one Mexican?
It seems to me that carrying a Mexican would draw some attention. But your legs would be stout after 30 years! :D
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

7.62 Precision wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:
You carried one Mexican?
It seems to me that carrying a Mexican would draw some attention. But your legs would be stout after 30 years! :D
Mexican = foreign national.

mexican = pant waist pistol carry.

Google / dictionaries are your friends.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

2571 wrote: Mexican = foreign national.

one = a J-Frame revolver. :lol:

You have to admit the mental picture was funny!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My Rossi 68 stays full of Federal Nyclad. I still have a full box and one with abot 30 rounds in it I found in a little shop years ago. Reckon they'll get the job done.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

PF9 in my front pocket,but can't tuck my shirt in.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

A j frame does not carry well in a front pocket. Also, I find rear pocket carry acceptable in some cases but the j frame sticks out of jean pockets and is not comfortable driving while sitting on it. I often carry it in just a jacket pocket but don't like dirt or fuzz that gets into the barrel or chambers or collects on surface. I'm thinking IWB, perhaps one with snaps on a belt and allows tucking shirts.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

7.62 Precision wrote:
2571 wrote: Mexican = foreign national.

one = a J-Frame revolver. :lol:

You have to admit the mental picture was funny!
Sorry, don't see it myself.

That concealed carry term with its lower case spelling is commonplace on my local gunsite.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The Bianchi Model 6 is an old school IWB holster with a metal clip to hold it in your belt. I have one from many years ago. I used to put the clip under my belt and tuck my shirt in over the gun. You have to pooch out your shirt just a little over the gun but it's no problem.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I was well aware of it, just had to mess with you.

I never had an issue with a J frame in the front pocket unless it was an all- steel model, then you look really happy to see people.

An Airweight in the front pocket of many pants is good, it will depend on their pockets.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

IWB is good unless you carry a little too much around the waist. Castable, you remarked in the picture of the woman carrying, 'nice one'. I saw two.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

2571 wrote: That concealed carry term with its lower case spelling is commonplace on my local gunsite.
Unfortunately, that method of carry is far too commonplace as well.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I must wear my pants differently than you guys.
If I could get a j frame in my front pocket, the whole world would know it, then I probably could NOT get it out of my front pocket for 1/2 an hour; and risk shooting myself in a most unfortunate position!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

As far as pockets go, try some Carhartt pants. I've worn them almost exclusively for ages, they come in all sorts of colors, and in blue denim. The front pockets swallow a J and speedloader, I've even carried a G-19 in the front pocket. The tip of the grip shows just slightly if looking straight down at it, but if wearing a down vest or jacket, it covers it. The back pockets are large enough to cover a J also. I also really like the leg pockets. The Surefire E2E carries perfectly in the left one, and a pepper pen, clip knife, and pens carry in the right leg pocket (nice with no shirt pockets in summer). They also last longer than jeans. My only suggestion is to remove the hammer loop first thing. They are a nuisance.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I can second the Carhart pants. They seem to fit me better than other brands, too. One of the stores up here got a huge shipment of 32-36 Car harts and couldn't sell them because of the odd size (my size, before I carried IWB). They had them really discounted for years. :D

I can also recommend cutting off the hammer loop if you get that style. It will catch and dump you on your head when you are climbing around on equipment.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Now I go the opposite way entirely. Carhartts do have deep pockets, but too deep for me to get my hand in and out with a gun in it. I like the wranglers with the shallow pockets that give easy access the weapon.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I use front R pocket for a hammerless J-Frame no holster, but that is not my only handgun when I do. If I have a winter jacket I keep it in the R pocket.

For a holster, the DOUBLETAP A.T.S. holster is fantastic. (armoredcarry.com) You can tuck it, the clip stays in place and it is secure. The revolver comes out fast and it weighs nothing. You can place it where you want it, appendix, f/o hip, behind hip, cross.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I sometimes carry a Charter Arms Southpaw (2" 38+p). I carry it in my favorite position which is an OWB cross draw. A big ole Hawaiian shirt covers it very well, and makes access easy. Now I understand that in many parts of the country this style of dress has a very limited window for wear. Out here if the Hawaiian shirt isn't enough for the weather, you're going to wear a light jacket, at least.

And on the plus side, no one even looks twice at an old guy wearing Hawaiian shirts. Funny how wearing something that would usually make you stick out can sometimes make you blend into the background.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

More and more my CCW is a S&W 442 carried either in my right front pocket or OWB in a Galco pancake. I totally agree with 7.62 that IWB is a great way to carry but I have yet to find a holster I like for IWB for either the 442 or my Glock 19. Perhaps 7.62's offerings will solve the problem. I will be checking things out.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just wear shirts or sweaters that don't need tucked-in, unless I've got a fancy sport-coat to wear...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I bought my wife a set of grips for the j-frame only. it hooks just inside the pants or skirt,boot tops,and bra + similar items. She has loved it from the start. "CLIP_GRIP "is the grip name De Santis. is the he compzny.
pardone, me kat keeps runin' across me kee board"

.........................Nash
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mutt, forgot about those and the clip draw:

https://www.clipdraw.com
Mike Johnson,

PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Carhartt front pocket, at the Tractor supply I bought them in the depth of that pocket varied with waist size, larger was deeper.
Anyone use the Mika IWB holster?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

rjohns94 wrote:A j frame does not carry well in a front pocket. Also, I find rear pocket carry acceptable in some cases but the j frame sticks out of jean pockets and is not comfortable driving while sitting on it. I often carry it in just a jacket pocket but don't like dirt or fuzz that gets into the barrel or chambers or collects on surface. I'm thinking IWB, perhaps one with snaps on a belt and allows tucking shirts.
To keep the dirt and fuzz out of everything just use one of Uncle Mike's flimsy IWB holsters ans stick it in your pocket.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

It's more to protect the trigger.

Old teacher of mine, retired Police LT, carried a .25 semiauto in his pocket. Cocked, safety on.

One day the safety worked itself off and a wad of pocket material hit the trigger. He put a .25 groove across his thigh.

He then switched to pocket holsters, and DA triggers....