Browning BAR Hog Stalker, .308

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Browning BAR Hog Stalker, .308

Post by getitdone1 »

Just watched a video about the Browning BAR Hog Stalker in .308.

Do any of you have one of these and if so how do you like it?

Kinda pricey. 13-1400 bucks.

Don
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning BAR Hog Stalker, .308

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmm never seen or heard of that one before .

Can't say I really like the sort of AR type pistol grip however .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Checked one out at gander mountain. Had a nice feel, very ergo dynamic. Obviously didn't shoot it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Fellow at work has one. It handles well and I liked my BLR. Browning/Miroku fit and finish is quite nice.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

One of the very attractive aspects of hunting hogs is that it's relatively inexpensive when compared to hunting deer.

As far as a firearm that has what it take to kill hogs, any of my current lever guns can take a hog, and if I think about it, each of them have.

But my night time hog hunting rig is a little more exotic, so I can see how the cost of equipment might push up over $1000.

But if we're talking Browning, we're talking about the cost of JUST the firearm, right?

Them's expensive pork chops.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Believe I read it had a medium heavy barrel and weighed over 9 lbs empty.

One of the attractive things about this Browning BAR is it has a 10 rd detachable magazine and I expect that means a 20 rd wouldn't be too hard to come by.

If that weight is correct then I think I'd go with the Springfield m1A and know for sure I had reliability and I'd expect reliability far beyond the Browning. They both cost about the same.

Don
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here is a contemporary alternative:

http://centerfiresystems.com/RIFLE-PTR91GI-GRN.aspx

hard to beat the price, plenty of accessories, plenty of 4$ magazines, with plenty of cash left over for ammo.....
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote:here is a contemporary alternative:

hard to beat the price, plenty of accessories, plenty of 4$ magazines, with plenty of cash left over for ammo.....

No doubt --- Browning must have gotten ahold of the same bath salts Mossberg did when they introduced the collapsible stock levergun! -- Plenty of good 308's out there with serious hard use provenance out there for less than the Browning
----- Doug
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Grizz wrote:here is a contemporary alternative:

Grizz,

Say, you just may have something there. Just been reading reviews about that gun. Supposed to be a clone of the HK 91. I like the fact that it's not gas-operated so as to eliminate one source of gun crud and stoppage. And, the Hk 91--has any gun proven more reliable than it? This PTR clone is supposed to be even better than the original and for a lot less money.

Sure like some of you PTR gun owners to wade-in on this topic.

Don
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like mine. I am following the break-in process, shoot one, clean copper out, shoot one, etc. Boring. I doubt I will be doing mag dumps when the barrel is seasoned. I bought a couple of 5 round mags that actually hold 4 comfortably, although you can force a 5th into it. They don't seem to be sniper accurate unless you get one of the custom guns. Lots of builders... they're kinda like chopper builders from back in the day. I have not shot paper yet and don't know if this one is accurate or not. It's not light. 11 pounds with full mag and 12+ with a scope. But that's what the pack is for, right? I'm not taking any offhand shots at the extremes of the envelop.

I have a collapsible stock and an original G3 scope. The scope has the best glass I've used and a BDC to 600 meters for M80 ball, but it's adjustable.

There is a cult following and the real cultists turn up their noses at anything not made in Germany on German machinery by blond haired blue eyed Germans. And they're obcessed with the happy switch. Nothing thrills 'em like dumping a thousand bucks down the barrel.

PTR claims they are built to HK specs on HK licensed machinery that came from Portugal, I think. So far the accessories I bought fit and work as if they are on a G3.

There is no recoil to speak of, lots of video on youtube if you're interested. I think cdnn might have some guns.

Can't wait to go deer hunting with it. I figure the extra ammo in the storage unit, (magazine), will be able to stop a bear if he insists.

Grizz
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Grizz,

You speak "gun lingo" really well. "Happy Switch"--that's a good'in !

Wow! I just found a couple of Browning Hog Stalkers for sale and both have asking price over 1600 dollars !

Believe there's a lot of demand for that gun or the price just couldn't be that high.

The weight of the PTR you mention is really getting up there. Another thing I'm concerned about is it's fluted chamber that mars the casings. I'm guessing whatever deformation there is a guy can still get good reloading mileage out of that brass. My understanding is the fluted chamber was to lessen the contact between fired casing and chamber wall and thus make for more reliable extraction, especially after a lot of shooting in a combat situation. Is this correct? Makes sense to me.

I read the PTR is in second place behind the AK 47 for reliability and that is a very big plus.

Also read one guy has put over 7000 rounds through his PTR 91GI without any problems.

How do you like the "pistol grip" (?) on your PTR? Never had a rifle with that type of grip.

Don
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

getitdone1 wrote:Grizz,

You speak "gun lingo" really well. "Happy Switch"--that's a good'in !

picked that up on one of the forums

Wow! I just found a couple of Browning Hog Stalkers for sale and both have asking price over 1600 dollars !

Believe there's a lot of demand for that gun or the price just couldn't be that high.

The weight of the PTR you mention is really getting up there.

Some of the buffalo guns were heavier, and it makes us stronger, right?

Another thing I'm concerned about is it's fluted chamber that mars the casings. I'm guessing whatever deformation there is a guy can still get good reloading mileage out of that brass. My understanding is the fluted chamber was to lessen the contact between fired casing and chamber wall and thus make for more reliable extraction, especially after a lot of shooting in a combat situation. Is this correct? Makes sense to me.

That's the way I understand it. There are buffers available that retrofit the gun, one of them is a snap fit I guess, and they stop the brass from getting crushed. Guys say that it's perfectly reloadable. So not an issue.

I read the PTR is in second place behind the AK 47 for reliability and that is a very big plus.

Also read one guy has put over 7000 rounds through his PTR 91GI without any problems.

How do you like the "pistol grip" (?) on your PTR? Never had a rifle with that type of grip.

I like it a lot. Helps manage the rifle and it is comfortable. It's like the M4 grip on my shotgun, and like the AR grip. It helps me handle it, and I can't imagine shooting this rifle without it.
I will know a lot more a year from now. You're welcome to shoot it if you're in the vicinity.

Grizz
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Hey Grizz: That's a nice - all business - rifle. You are well armed. :D
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Pistol grips make it easier to keep the rifle in the shoulder 'at the ready'.

The G-3 series rifle recoil more than an FAL. Not unmanageable, but noticeable. They're reliable, as long as nothing dents the receiver.....then it's done.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Homer wrote:Hey Grizz: That's a nice - all business - rifle. You are well armed. :D
Thanks Homer

I likes it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

MrMurphy wrote:The G-3 series rifle recoil more than an FAL. Not unmanageable, but noticeable. They're reliable, as long as nothing dents the receiver.....then it's done.
I'll have to take your word on it. I may get to shoot an FAL this year though. I handled one and they are very comfortable and feel much more like a sporting rifle. Recoil is not a big issue for me.

I consider my PileDriver 45/70 to be moderate recoil, my 12ga 1+oz slugs to be moderate recoil, my redhawk 405g load to be light recoil. I could shoot 20 rounds from my .338, the rifle with the rock hard rubber pad, and not feel any discomfort. That was a the normal load development effort. By contrast the 91 is ridiculously light.

Guys put special recoil buffers in them to "really cut the recoil", so I guess there's some latitude there. Don't know if I will fool around with it tho.

I think the AK shares the receiver denting problem. But don't know, never shot one. It wasn't enough of a concern to prevent me from buying it. There is a number of armorers around who can replace the upper from scratch.

I don't think it's everyman's rifle. It's kind of quirky, actually. I see them in Mexico with the border guard federales. They are still on active duty in quite a few places, there's a site somewhere that adds current photos.

I know there are strong reasons to make the 556 the one rifle, but my scenario always ends up face to face with brer bear, and I just think the 762 holds an edge there. Yes I know the 22s have killed them. I just can't count on it working for me.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Another alternative. Besides that browning is fugly!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

This is my .308 hog hunter. Most often use this one with a night vision scope.

It's taken a pile of hogs.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If I couldn't get an M16/M4 series rifle or an AK, an FAL or G-3 would be my next pick and I wouldn't have an issue. They're overly large and not the best for close in work, but if you're in open country and not hopping into a Humvee every five minutes they do fine.

The HK series does noticeably recoil from the bench more than most. I'm not a recoil wimp, having shot up to .416 or .50 BMG (Barrett), but you do know you're shooting a serious caliber rifle.

The slim polymer ventilated front handguard shown by Grizz is still my favorite for the HK series, and of the 60-something countries who adopted it, probably at least 30 still issue them. Pakistan, Iran, Norway (reserves, though the reserves are now switching over to the HK416 as well) and pretty much any of the 3rd world countries who adopted them, still have a bunch on hand. They're easy to use, reliable and tough, don't take a rocket surgeon to disassemble, etc. Not a fan of the thumb safety, but that's across the entire HK line.

The Happy Switch is also sometimes called the Group Therapy Option.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

FWiedner wrote:This is my .308 hog hunter. Most often use this one with a night vision scope.

It's taken a pile of hogs.

FWiedner, what is that gun? After a lot of 'gun years' I'm just now getting into military types of guns.

Care to share some details about that gun? Weight? Cost? Pros and cons?

Don
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's a DPMS LR-308. .308Win, 18" barrel, SWFA 10x42 30mm scope on it in the photo on a GG&G quick-detach rail.

Weighs 12lbs as pictured. Built it from parts about 2 years ago.

Parts ran about 800, the SWFA glass and associated hardware, i.e. rings and q-d rail, maybe another 500.

I built it because I wanted a flat-top AR-10 type arm that I could put a night vision scope on to hunt hogs at night across open fields, and thats mostly what I've used it for. It shoots very well in the daylight with the SWFA glass on it, too.

It's a piece of metal. Kinda heavy to shoulder, but not awful. I can and do shoot it offhand at the range but mostly use a bipod or rest in the field, and with it being an AR type and as heavy as it is, felt recoil is like... zero. A little bitty bounce.

It's a hog killin' machine...

Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

BAR Hog stalker, FNAR and Winchester SXAR are basically the same. I have a Winchester I picked up for a grand otd

It shoots sub moa just like FN advertises and is not too selective on what ammo
I am one gun away from happy
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrMurphy wrote:If I couldn't get an M16/M4 series rifle or an AK, an FAL or G-3 would be my next pick and I wouldn't have an issue. They're overly large and not the best for close in work, but if you're in open country and not hopping into a Humvee every five minutes they do fine...
Put on an A3 "Para" stock and getting in & out of vehicles becomes markedly easier.

MrMurphy wrote:The slim polymer ventilated front handguard shown by Grizz is still my favorite for the HK series, and of the 60-something countries who adopted it, probably at least 30 still issue them.
After burning my hand a few times, I MUCH prefer the slim WOOD over the slim Polymer... and I can adapt the Wood for a Bipod easier too.
MrMurphy wrote:Pakistan, Iran, Norway (reserves, though the reserves are now switching over to the HK416 as well) and pretty much any of the 3rd world countries who adopted them, still have a bunch on hand. They're easy to use, reliable and tough, don't take a rocket surgeon to disassemble, etc. Not a fan of the thumb safety, but that's across the entire HK line.
And that's why I like it. It's an AK on steroids. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

plus, the K model is a full two inches shorter to start with, if length were a priority. would have to have an SBR to get much more compact than that...
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I like the A3 stock on the MP5, but on a full size rifle its something of a Teutonic torture instrument, so I stick with the fixed stock if possible.

With the length of pull on a G3, I end up with a magwell hold most of the time (short arms) so that's less an issue for me.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Hairtrigger wrote:BAR Hog stalker, FNAR and Winchester SXAR are basically the same. I have a Winchester I picked up for a grand otd

It shoots sub moa just like FN advertises and is not too selective on what ammo
That shot of yours in a field setting is a lot better looking than it looks in the Browning catalog . :)
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrMurphy wrote:I like the A3 stock on the MP5, but on a full size rifle its something of a Teutonic torture instrument, so I stick with the fixed stock if possible.

With the length of pull on a G3, I end up with a magwell hold most of the time (short arms) so that's less an issue for me.
Admittedly, the old style A3 stock is much more comfortable to shoot than the "grenade-launcher-ready" newer versions, but range & "carry" are two different pain profiles...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

How well will the Hog Stalker/FNAR and the PTR handle 125-130 gr bullets?

Read the FNAR type was not easy to take apart for cleaning. What about the PTR?

Wouldn't most of you agree the recoil operated PTR would run the longest without cleaning? Is it easier to disassemble than the FNAR?

One thing I just found-out about the FNAR is you can buy it with a lighter fluted barrel. The heavy barrel is also fluted. Like being able to reduce the weight of these heavy guns.

Since the Hog Stalker and FNAR are, basically, the same gun will the FNAR 20 round magazines fit the Hog Stalker? The Hog Stalker comes with 10 rd mag.

Read the FNAR has a chrome lines barrel and chamber and am guessing the Hog Stalker does too. This ought help keep the gun accurate after lots of shooting. Is the Hog Stalker chrome barreled like the FNAR? Too, I would think the chrome would it hard for the bore to rust.

I'm about ready to get out the check book-- just have to know a few more things. New type of gun for me and gonna be fun.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The PTR-GI will handle anything you feed it.

To take down a PTR 91 you remove 2 pins and pull out the recoil spring and bolt group. From there it's about the same as cleaning an AR but no gas tube. Easy.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!