New Farm Boss

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

New Farm Boss

Post by 6pt-sika »

We got a new Stihl Farm Boss back about 2003 and the thing ran great . I'd always used Homelite and McCulloh before that . After having that Farm Boss a few years I was at a local pawn shop one day and saw a like new smaller Stihl about the right size to go up a tree with me when I was hanging treestands anyway I got this smaller one also .

Well about three or four months ago my aging father had some "tree surgeons" do some work for him while as was gone somewhere . A week or so later I went out to the barn to get a chain saw and couldn't find the larger saw , the chain oil or a log chain . Now I don't know if these cats made off with it but it sure is a coincidence .

So a couple days ago I finally got around to replacing the saw . Another Farm Boss with an 18" bar !

Even tried it out yesterday on about 40 saplings to small tree's in my favourite woods opening for a tree stand :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Farm Boss

Post by Bridger »

I really wanna like Stihl......but compared to Husqvarna they've always let me down. Mighty clean though. Need to get out there and fix that lol.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Might be nice to pay a polite visit to the Tree Surgeons...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have been cutting wood since I was a kid, Husky always suited me better.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I run 5 Stihl saws on my farm, from a little baby one for mortising thru to a big 660 for falling, they a all reliable hardworking machines. I usually sell about 100 loads of firewood each winter to help fund my Levergun Collecting habit, so they get plenty of work.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Stihl v. Husky = Ford v. Chevy truck. Naturally, Stihl and Ford win every time :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great saw. Love mine.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I have worked in the timber industry most of my career in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Most of the loggers run Stihl in this region, but there are those who like the Husqvarna and use them too. I always used a Stihl, figuring that most of the timber cutters in the woods had good reasons for their preferences, and I didn't need to reinvent the wheel!

The weak spot in all chain saws now is the damage that gasohol does to the internal gaskets made of some type of rubber material that the alcohol eats up. That isn't just chain saws, but any small engine.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have had trouble with oilers on Huskys and have been using Stihls - no problem.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:Might be nice to pay a polite visit to the Tree Surgeons...
My father who is 78 now didn't bother to get their name or card and paid them with cash !

Believe me if I had known who they were I'da sent someone to see them . I don't keep the saws in the barn anymore now they stay in the locked garage connected to the house !

You know it's one thing if someone says they're having a hard time and wants to borrow something but I hate a S...O...B that steals . Now of course I wouldn't have lent them the saw either . But I reckon ten years service was good .

The first saw I ever used when I was a youngster my father bought new in 1967 it was Homelite about twice the size of a Farm Boss especially weightwise . Anyway we used the heck outta that one for about 35 years . That saw cut bricks nails and anything else it shouldn't have .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:Stihl v. Husky = Ford v. Chevy truck. Naturally, Stihl and Ford win every time :P

Perhaps Stihl and Chevy but NEVER Ford !

Just saying that word leaves a bad taste in your mouth :lol:

All BS aside my gunsmith buddy got a new to him 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab diesel that was made 2007 about a year ago and that is actually a very nice truck regardless of it having that darn blue medallion on the front .
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I have three Stihls, an ancient 08S, an 070, and a modern MS170. None of them have ever let me down, not even the 08S from 1969. That thing was a company saw and had a hard life before I got it.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Used McCullohs for decades. But, when my last one wore out, the shop I deal with had a deal on Stihl. I figure this one will out live me, so one of my boys is going to get a really good chain saw.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Makes me smile that my brother got a Stihl to help keep up with the maintenance around my mom's acreage (makes me smile because he got decent kit, and that he likes to do it :lol: ---- i loathe that stuff
--- i told my brother last week i would rather run a marathon , or ride my bicycle 100 miles than run a chainsaw all day at mom's place and stack wood

Now -- i dont really have the build for running , -- but with a little ambition, a marathon is about a 4 hour affair and a solo hundred miler on the bike is 5 hours, give or take, depending on the hills

------ but cutting wood? Sometimes that takes --- ALL DANG DAY -- and it can be a bit--- on your back

So yes, i gladly show my appreciation to guys who do stuff like this, -----

Just this past year, my wife got red faced mad at me for paying guys to mow the lawn on a 100 degree day (lawn is 4 acres :lol: , so 2 hours on a zero turn at 3/4 speed) ---- she got mad because i paid them so i could go on a bike ride instead :lol: -- sports are easier than hard work :oops: :oops:

-- Wifey put her foot down on paying $400 a month for yard work , so i countered by dragging home a diesel zero-turn so the time away from my bikes/guns/everything else would be as short as possible (my brother on aforementiond ZTR )

----- Doug
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

6pt-sika wrote:We got a new Stihl Farm Boss back about 2003 and the thing ran great . I'd always used Homelite and McCulloh before that . After having that Farm Boss a few years I was at a local pawn shop one day and saw a like new smaller Stihl about the right size to go up a tree with me when I was hanging treestands anyway I got this smaller one also .

Well about three or four months ago my aging father had some "tree surgeons" do some work for him while as was gone somewhere . A week or so later I went out to the barn to get a chain saw and couldn't find the larger saw , the chain oil or a log chain . Now I don't know if these cats made off with it but it sure is a coincidence .

So a couple days ago I finally got around to replacing the saw . Another Farm Boss with an 18" bar !

Even tried it out yesterday on about 40 saplings to small tree's in my favourite woods opening for a tree stand :wink:
I have one of those and had another stihl for 22 years trading before it on the farm boss. No problems with the manufacture of them, just the ethanol will eat the fuel pump diaphragm. Just make sure you use an ethanol fuel treatment. I meet a guy who owned a husquavarna , and it had a compression release valve on top till you got it started to make it easier to pull over. that is a nice feature as the farm boss is kinda hard to turn over when starting.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily............. . :mrgreen:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A fine saw 6pt
Congrats my friend! :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:A fine saw 6pt
Congrats my friend! :wink:
Thanks but it would have been better if the one we got in 2003 was still here as it ran fine and was not an additional $400 !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doug, one word;

goats

:lol:

I mean, why take two hours away from the fun if the goats will do it for free and come back for more.

Of course, convincing your wife to milk them every day and butcher the culls might take some persuasion....
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

23 years of falling timber I weeded out the frail
my top pick is Husky & then Stihl, im not sure bout todays saws as I haven't logged for 18 years
have one Husky I bought new in 1988 that has guzzled at least 600 gallons of gas
I have no Idea how many bars & chains it wore out
never had a saw last like that one
had a 064 Stihl that out lasted 2 other 064s, plus it had more power

ollogger
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

If you have a fuels dealer close to you, go in and ask them if they sell any fuel that doesn't have ethanol in it. Some do sell it. Maybe get to know someone that has an aircraft and beg some avgas from them.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:Doug, one word;

goats

I mean, why take two hours away from the fun if the goats will do it for free and come back for more.

Of course, convincing your wife to milk them every day and butcher the culls might take some persuasion....

I have a friend that bought a goat a few years back . He would stake the nanny out on a fence row and she would eat the honeysuckle and whatever offf of it . Worked pretty well for about 6 months then hunting season started . The nanny had two horns that looked very similar to deer spike antlers . And she was a buff kinda brown color so was relatively close to deer color . Anyway some "sportsman" shot her from the road . I suppose when they cranked up their scope they didn't notice her colar and chain !
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I have a farm boss I got in a pawn shop in almost new cond. but it was upgraded to a 20 in bar and I would not recommend that. when the tree is fresh and really sappy it has a hard time pulling the chain.

6pt-sika wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Stihl v. Husky = Ford v. Chevy truck. Naturally, Stihl and Ford win every time :P

Perhaps Stihl and Chevy but NEVER Ford !

Just saying that word leaves a bad taste in your mouth :lol:

All BS aside my gunsmith buddy got a new to him 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab diesel that was made 2007 about a year ago and that is actually a very nice truck regardless of it having that darn blue medallion on the front .
"The only thing that runs good on a Ford" .. Is the owners mouth! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pete44ru wrote:.

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily............. . :mrgreen:

Darn apparently no one told my 35 year old Ford that. Oh wait, I did replace the battery yesterday. Then again, the battery was about 7 years old. They just don't make things like they used to. And that's a real shame. Cuz my Ford will still be running (assuming gas can be had) long after today's "modern" vehicles have been scrapped and reincarnated several times.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

6pt,
A nice little plus on that Farm Boss, look at the tag, it's made in the USA, by a company that supports independent dealers.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote:Doug, one word;

goats

I have been thinking about it --- but only because i recently got some little mini donkeys who need some company --- they are sweet little manger babies (my wife's descriptipn - :lol: ) -- Those little goats are lots of fun too

------ but -- in the interest of being timely, -- maybe i can run up to Blaines background and get a few of those darn Seahawks to take care of my problems ! -- They seem to be out-working a whole field of Broncos ! (i went into this game totally without an agenda, -- not saying the 'Hawks are better per se' , but they sure are dominating this darn game thanks to a few Denver mistakes )
----- Doug
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Here's mine. Bought it new the same year the tractor was made....1976. Both still good workers. :)

Dennis.

Last edited by DennisB on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

DennisB wrote:Here's mine. Bought it new the same year the tractor was made....1976. Both still good workers. :)

Dennis.

That saw looks very similar to our old late 60's Homelite !
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

6pt-sika wrote:
DennisB wrote:Here's mine. Bought it new the same year the tractor was made....1976. Both still good workers. :)

Dennis.

Yes, Homelite XL12.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

DennisB wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Dennis.

Yes, Homelite XL12.
Ours was red . And if I'm not mistaken he bought it new in 67 or 68 . I still have it out in the barn , just can't get parts for it anylonger .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have an Echo with an 18 inch bar, and a Poulan Pro with a 20 inch bar. The Echo is 10 times the saw that the Poulan Pro is. I do have one of the little green Poulan saws with a 14 inch bar, and it is a fast running little saw that just doesn't know when to quit. A few years ago, it had a little trouble with it from the gasohol, and just put it away and bought a Homelite to replace it. I ended up having the Poulan fixed and it now works as good as ever. The Homelite would bog down in anything bigger around than 4 inches, but that little Poulan will cut anything that is in front of it. The Echo has an automotive style air filter that is easy to get to and easy to clean. When or if either the little Poulan or the bigger Echo ever wear out, I will replace them with a Stihl or a Husqvarna.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have a 1977 model. Someone dropped it out of a tree and smashed the rear handle off. Someone tried to fix it and gave up, threw it away. lol that's where I got it, laying next to a dumpster. I marinetex'd the heck out of it and she was strong as ever, all be it a lot more ugly. Ran great for years. Always started right up. Until recently, I think the ethanol gas killed it. :cry:
Slow is just slow.
LAH
Levergunner

Post by LAH »

Stihl works for me. :P

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I was out doing some yard work today and took some pics as well !

Our old Homelite XL-500 chains off the bar right now an I don't think it'll run but I might just see if I can't find some parts to fix it on EBAY for old times sake .

Here's the Poulan thing we bought a number of years ago , This thing was never worth a darn !

Old Homelite saw my grandfather had . This one doesn't run so well anymore . But I wouldn't mind getting this one back functioning just because .

And the Stihl's here now . Weedeater , Farm Boss , small saw and a hedge trimmer .

My little Stihl . This thing works great before hunting season for trimming and suck around my tree stand sights and when I'm going up the tree and run into limbs . My climbers usually stay on the same tree all year and I try and go up typically 30-35 feet .