What Would YOU take for your M71?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

What Would YOU take for your M71?

Post by mohavesam »

Opinions needed...
We know the Browning M71 guns were made for only two years - 1986-87. Maybe a few outside that range but I've never seen it proven.
We know they are rare numerically - about 3000 +- per version, with the Blued steel/Walnut 20" and 24" guns and the "High-Grade" roll-engraved nickel steel receivers and hi-gloss walnut in 20" and 24" barrels (about 12,300 total).
We know the 24" rifles had slightly fewer numbers than the 20" carbines in both versions.
We know they are precision-made modern-metallurgy Miroku guns, unlike the hand-fitted parts-bin guns of the original production (1935-58, with 47,000+- made).

My question is, for the blued version in 100% unfired As-New condition, what price would YOU take for your Browning Model 71 ?

- And yes, the Winchester catalog briefly showed a third production run ($1600!!! :o ) but today they show nothing on that availability.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What Would YOU take for your M71?

Post by Pete44ru »

mohavesam wrote:
We know the Browning M71 guns were made for only two years - 1986-87. Maybe a few outside that range but I've never seen it proven.
They were manufactured only in 1986 & 87, but since Browning sold them until their inventory was depleted in 1990, there's more than a few owners out there who'll claim they were made til then.

Tough OP question - Going by current availability, there's not many NIB standard grade B71's F/S, except for those offered in tandem with a like-serial-numbered High Grade @ $3500 or so.

There's plenty of NIB High Grade B71's available in ther $1700-$2K range, and only one or two used standard grade B71's in 98% or so condition for about $1500

IMO, the High Grades were safe queens, and the standard grade's used for hunting - with not many owners willing to sell (which is not to say some heir wouldn't :cry: )

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The last high grades I saw were a pair, a rifle and carbine and they wanted $650 each.

Of course that was a while ago. :D
Slow is just slow.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

There are 2 high grades NIB supposedly unfired for 1800 and 1825 BIN

so I would guess 1500 , maybe 1600 -- I'd rather have a standard grade personally
----- Doug
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

EVERYTHING! is for sale. Unless i had another one lined up, my price would be unreasonable high. They are THAT good and the Browning version is no longer made. I'd trade 2 of the new winchester versions to get the old browning.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

As most "what's it worth?" posts, I wanted to twist it a bit and ask owners "how much money would it take to let loose of yours?" type of query.
I will add to the fury to say I'd not probably take less than $1100 for my blued guns, and probably take no less than $1500-1600 for my High-grade guns... I've hunted with the rifles and they're that good. Most everything I shoot/own has a "good bye" price. But I think hard about letting go of such great rifles for Adirondack black bears or elk in the scrub cedars.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I had a Grade one in either the carbine or rifle configuration that was 95% or better I would be most happy to sell it to you for $1000-1200 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

My M71 is not of the rising sun variety, and its the lowly rifle and not the carbine, and a shooter - not a safe queen, so I'd probably be forced to take less than $900 for it. The problem is the other stuff that would go with it, like a lot of factory ammo, buckets of brass and a bunch of bullets, not to mention dies and peep sights - enough stuff to hunt for the rest of ones life. That's what runs the price up to near to the vaunted and superior Asian made quality 71's. Shucks. I guess I'm stuck with mine.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would not take paper money for mine. I seriously doubt that I could be persuaded to part with it for 3 $20 gold pieces. I am no where near hungry enough... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Hobie wrote:I would not take paper money for mine. I seriously doubt that I could be persuaded to part with it for 3 $20 gold pieces. I am no where near hungry enough... :wink:
I'm with Hobie....mine is not for sale. A lot of things would go before my .348.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Enough to replace it with a nicer one. But I wouldn't be without one.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Homer wrote:My M71 is not of the rising sun variety, and its the lowly rifle and not the carbine, and a shooter - not a safe queen, so I'd probably be forced to take less than $900 for it. The problem is the other stuff that would go with it, like a lot of factory ammo, buckets of brass and a bunch of bullets, not to mention dies and peep sights - enough stuff to hunt for the rest of ones life. That's what runs the price up to near to the vaunted and superior Asian made quality 71's. Shucks. I guess I'm stuck with mine.
Since my old Winchester 71 ain't "on the market", and ain't gonna be "on the market"...I guess I've failed to keep up with just what the trader's market is for M71's of various origin.
Homer...are you tellin' me that the glossy jap copy "safe queens" are bringing more $$ than classic American shooting rifles..??
Who'd a thought..??!!
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

guido4198 wrote:
Homer wrote:My M71 is not of the rising sun variety, and its the lowly rifle and not the carbine, and a shooter - not a safe queen, so I'd probably be forced to take less than $900 for it. The problem is the other stuff that would go with it, like a lot of factory ammo, buckets of brass and a bunch of bullets, not to mention dies and peep sights - enough stuff to hunt for the rest of ones life. That's what runs the price up to near to the vaunted and superior Asian made quality 71's. Shucks. I guess I'm stuck with mine.
Since my old Winchester 71 ain't "on the market", and ain't gonna be "on the market"...I guess I've failed to keep up with just what the trader's market is for M71's of various origin.
Homer...are you tellin' me that the glossy jap copy "safe queens" are bringing more $$ than classic American shooting rifles..??
Who'd a thought..??!!
Yes, but an original, genuine Winchester of safe queen condition will bring about twice to three times as much as the kamikaze one. :D

Now mine is now where near a safe queen. It's got a few dings, properly mounted sling swivels (to the side so it rests slab to back when slung across mine), a stock that's had a crack repaired right (by me), and the previous owners 4 screw holes in the side of the receiver along with his social security number etched just below them. Of course mine has also been worked over to a glassy smooth by our own Steve Young. But, buyers like something that looks a little more shinny when it comes to 71's. It doesn't matter, mine will go on making meat for my hungry brood for as long as I can walk the draws and dodge the snakes.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

My Standard Grade Rifle is still NIB but I keep meaning to change that status! :wink:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't have a Browning 71, but my original Winchester Deluxe Model 71, is not for sale, but it is like new, almost, I doubt I would sell it for less then 3 grand.

I do have a Browning 86 carbine high grade, and I wouldn't take less then $1500 for it, if I was inclined to sell.
NRA Life Member, Patron