Winchester .348 brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Winchester .348 brass

Post by getitdone1 »

Have some new Winchester .348 brass. Notice a few of the cases have small black specks on them. About the size of a large dot at end of a sentence.

My guess is nothing to be concerned about and they will work just fine.

What is the cause of these 'black specks."

Don
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester .348 brass

Post by flatnose »

Its sounds like there maybe impurities. Cartridge brass is 70/30 (copper/zinc), and nothing else. i would call winchester direct and ask for replacement free of charge.
It seems to me that brass quality theese days is not what it used to be, especially so with the seasonal and short run brass. I have a few thousand new 348 brass from 10 years ago none of which have any visible impurities, but brass life can be low if they are not annealed frequently.
Due to the cost and availability of brass now, I will anneal after 2 firings, as I am loosing a lot due to case neck splits in a few of the calibers that I load for using recent production brass. I would pay special attention to the 348 brass. Keep the necks soft, or they will split.
I test the case necks with my thumb by pressing on the neck onto a hard surface. the neck should distort with a little pressure. If it doesnt distort, then they are too hard. Try a few new ones, then compare fired brass. It will educate your thumb.
I have loaded rounds of varying cartridges in similar boxes in the same storage area. The 348 ammo has a dirty/dusty colored tarnish to it, and is the worst looking. Some of my 22-250 rounds have speckles of verdigris and tarnish marks, whilst other batches look new. All of the Lake Ciity ammo is the cleanest. Ammo that is stored in ziplocks seems to hold up the best.