Colt 1917

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Colt 1917

Post by JayF in AZ »

I got lucky the other day and stumbled upon this very nice Colt 1917 revolver.

Colt 1917 by JayinAZ, on Flickr

I got it at a bargain price too. I'm planning on ordering this mold for it:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_det ... 230F-D.png

Looks like it would be a dandy all around revolver bullet. I figure just enough Unique or Bullseye to push it out around 825 fps or so and I'll be set :). And (here's the lever gun tie in) I think it'll make a nice plinker in my .45 Colt Navy Arms short rifle too.

I haven't shot the revolver yet, I'm waiting on some moon clips to arrive.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt 1917

Post by .45colt »

Wow, be still My Heart, :mrgreen: .Nice find. Allways wanted one of those.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

JayF in AZ: somewhere in the back of mind, I recall reading that Keith advised only shooting lead bullets in the 1917 as the barrels were fabricated from a soft steel. Now whether this applied to both the S&W and the Colt, or just one, I can not remember. Might be something to consider.

Over the years, I managed to won 2 1917's, sold one an kept the best-- a very early Smith. Early on, I found that moon clips are a PITA and purchased .45 Auto Rim brass and have not looked back.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Ray Newman wrote:JayF in AZ: somewhere in the back of mind, I recall reading that Keith advised only shooting lead bullets in the 1917 as the barrels were fabricated from a soft steel. Now whether this applied to both the S&W and the Colt, or just one, I can not remember. Might be something to consider.
Maybe ELmer said it, and maybe it's true. But it is also true that .45 acp back then meant 230 gr. fmj bullets, also something to consider.
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

I will be shooting mostly cast out of it, as I've read that too. OTOH, Elmer also recommended a load for them with a 250 gr SWC and 7.5 gr of Unique! Basically Skeeter's load in a case with maybe 60% of the volume of the .44 special. I guess Skeeter wrote it up too, the in a later article admitted he'd cracked the cylinder on his.

I don't expect I'll be loading anything near that hot :)
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Pisgah: true about the .45 ACP being FMJ.

But, were these revolvers built to a "war-time standard", which may or may not have been the same standard as for commercial/civilian revolvers or those not made during war-time?

Myself, I would not take the chance. I just consider myself to be the caretaker of these older or antique firearms for the next generation of shooters and collectors.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is very nice. You lucked out for sure. I would think a good cast bullet and a smidge of Unique would do nicely. I have always wanted a 1917......or a nice New Service, I'm not fussy. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very nice - It reminds me of the 1917 S&W .45 I once had.
(I bought it for $25, in excellent condition, about 45 years ago)

Mine was marked ".45 Colt", and had NYS markings on it - leading me to believe it was a NY State Trooper trade-in.

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Very nice find! I had one that was in rough shape cosmetically but shot well with a variety of loads. I cast all bullets for it rather hard (Lyman #2 territory) in deference to the shallow rifling and never had any problems. It ended up going to a friend that was short on cash and living in area that necessitated one have a gun on the nightstand.

Eric
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a S&W 1917 that was a basket case when I got it, it has been heavily modified.
I am not sure why someone posted about full moon clips being a pain ( unless he meant loading & unloading clips ).
I love full moon clips, I can not reload a revolver any faster.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have a chance to buy a S&W for $400 that is in really nice condition. Did S&W not finish their guns like the OP picture. I have been avoiding buying it as I don't know the value.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Mescalero: yes, I meant loading/unloading the moon clips are a PITA.

In the 1930’s, S&W filled a Brazilian d a contract for the M1917. The Brazilian 1917 are sold at a lower priced than the US issue M1917.

In a nut shell, S&W M1917, from Pate’s “U.S. Handguns of World War II”:

--Blued with color cased hammer and trigger
-- Serial number on the butt, barrel, cylinder, extractor star, yoke, and penciled in on right grip
--Very early pistols had a grooved hammer

Sometimes, a parkerized M1917 will be spotted. Have no idea if this was part of the post-WW II rebuild or done after the revolver was sold as surplus.

Since this August marks the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI, expect that all WWI memorabilia, firearms, etc., will increase in value and asking and selling price. And as with all things firearms related, condition and remaining OEM configuration are a factor.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Mine is one of the Brazilian ones.
Issued to the Navy it was pitted everywhere the grips covered steel, guess he did not remove grips and wipe off salt sea spray.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Look for "Rimz" full moon clips. Synthetic, easy on the fingers and inexpensive.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

BlackHawk44: Googled "Rimz". Now they look like they are the cat's pajamas! Priced does not seem to be cost prohibitive.

Read all 'bout it:
http://www.ezmoonclip.com/
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

Thanks for all the interesting discussion guys.

Perry, regarding the finish on mine, I suspect it was refinished after WWI and transferred from the Army to some other federal agency, like the post office. The Army also held on to some (both Colt and S&W) which were later arsenal reworked and parkerized. I believe those have additional markings stamped near the serial number. I'd say the S&W you're looking at would be worth $400 if the mechanics are sound.

I'm still waiting my th emoon clips and demooner I ordred. I took a look at the rimz, and I'll probably order a batch of those next week too.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Some of the 1917 4 5ACP cylinders are bored so that the cartridges headspace on the case mouth like in the 1911... Meaning that if you have one so bored you can shoot it without half moon clips... I had one like that... some of the fired cases would fall out of the cylinder when the thing was up ended to make them drop but it seemed a few always had to be plucked out with the fingers... Check yours out....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

Thanks Ben,

Mine is a pretty early one, delivered to the Army the week of Dec 8th, 1917, before Colt added that feature. The cartridges drop in way too far to be fired, I tried :)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

You're welcome :) I should have made it more clear that a small shoulder can be clearly seen in the chambers...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Those old Colts are very fun sixguns. There are many better handguns on the market now, but I could defend and feed my family and myself with a Colt 1917 is that was all I had available. Just a couple of thoughts on yours and others like it;

1. Do not shoot any loads in it, that exceed standard 45 ACP pressure. Elmer and Skeeter's loads are over the top crazy in these sixguns. I once owned Skeeter's 1917 after it was rebuilt to 44 Special, but that is another story.
2. You will get better accuracy with Auto Rim cases.
3. These sixguns provide lackluster accuracy with .452 bullets either jacketed or lead due to their .456 - .457 cylinder throats. Think bigger than .452 cast bullets.
4. Yours does not have the original finish.

Here is a pic of my Colt 1917 with the original "War Finish".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Charles on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

a brazilian s&w [slightly modified].
picked out of a barrel [literally] at j&g sales in prescott, in the 80's.
way cheap.
s&w-1917.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have several of the Smith and Wesson Brazilians, but this one is my favorite. I sent it back to Smith and Wesson for a factory reblue, which they did after some cajoling by me.
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

I got a chance to shoot it today. I had some hand loads sitting around from a few years ago, when I could afford to shoot in matches. These are commercial cast no doubt sized .451 or .452. The 230 gr lrn has a light charge of 700x and the 200 gr SWC has a mid range charge of Titegroup, all in mixed brass.

image by JayinAZ, on Flickr

I loaded 5 clips of each. I started at 10 yards just to see if I was paper, the last shot was the flyer, which I called. These were the lrn.

The 200 grainers shot low, as expected:

And here are 12 shots of the lrn at 20 yards:

I was surprised at the accuracy with these undersized bullets. I'm really looking forward to getting a mold and trying some sized .454.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Great Range Report. Thanks for posting.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Nice revolver. Colt could make more than one shooter happy if they made these again.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've got a couple of Smith 1917's. One a WWI manufacture, and the other a 1937 Brazilian contract. I shoot both with moderate loads using hard cast RNL.

A couple of things. First, there are some really good tools to load and strip spent cartridge cases from the moon clips. No need to strain the fingers.

Second, all Smiths were made with a stepped chamber so that rounds could be loaded with out any type of clip. You just had to push the empties out with some sort of rod. Early Colts were not stepped, but later ones were.

Oh, and lastly. If that is an original finish, you've found a really, really nice one.

Just noticed the comment about the "soft" steel in the barrels. Nope, both Smith and Colt used the same barrel steel as on their commercial guns of the time. Honestly, about the only real difference between the commercial revolvers and the 1917's construction was the finish (and some early Smiths had commercial finishes), grips and the addition of the lanyard ring.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad