WWYD - Looking for opinions UPDATED w PICS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

WWYD - Looking for opinions UPDATED w PICS

Post by JohnB »

So, I am cruising the LGS used rack and I spy a used Henry in .22LR

It is the standard H001 and has been used, for sure. Receiver paint showed signed of use, chipped, the wood was decent, and the action seemed fine.

The mag tube had a spot of rust on the OUTSIDE of the tube, about 5-7" forward of the fore end...about the size of a pencil eraser. Seemed odd to me...

They had a tag of $149.95....what do you think? I have been stewing on it for a couple of days...I know little about the Henry's but the price seemed decent.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by JohnB on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: WWYD - Looking for opinions

Post by Hagler »

"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...and this will keep you reading about the origin of our modern Henry rifle:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=458413

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Thanks for the information, Hagler, but I am still a bit fuzzy on the implication.

I know the Henry's are decent rifles. My question was more directed at the value of the gun, given the condition, versus what they were asking for it.

Thanks.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

That rifle is worth $150 all day long.

Henry sells rifles to NRA instructors at reduced prices and I can't buy one as an NRA instructor for that price.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Sweet! A new toy for me!

Thanks!

I will post up pics...
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

get it get it!!!!!! I have one and they go for $329.00 at walmart now. they are very accurate rifles scope it out and have a ball.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

JohnB,

I was trying to relate to you that today's Henry rifle has a 40-odd year pedigree, and that the various incarnations of it have all been good rifles. I paid around $200.00 for H001L, in 2003, and have shot in excess of 10,000 rounds through it, with no sign of it being a poor rifle. It shoot where I point it. The links that I gave you include pictures & reviews of the older Erma & Ithaca guns. Most of that applies to today's Henry.

By the way, I passed on a second, though used, Henry rifle, a few years ago, for $165.00. I wish that I would have bought it.

Shawn
ImageImage
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The only real value of a Henry .22 is as a shooter anyway -- so why not. They are great little rifles, and in a day and age where people ask more than that for Cricket single shots on Armslist, that sounds like a sweet deal --- and a gun that sounds like it may have been used for its intended purpose :) (small game hunting and rough-housing)

The receivers actually look kinda cool in the white -- CO Steve did that to his
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

$150 is a bargain, and if you can't live with the chipped paint on the receiver cover, you can always strip it & then use cold blue for a CCH look.

JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Pete44ru wrote:.

$150 is a bargain, and if you can't live with the chipped paint on the receiver cover, you can always strip it & then use cold blue for a CCH look.

That is AWESOME and exactly what I had in mind!

You will have to share how you stripped and accomplished this finish.. it is really nice. If you don't mind, of course... :mrgreen:
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

So, I went back to inspect the rifle and make the purchase.

I will post up pictures as soon as time permits, but here is what I know -

1. The mag tube is loose and has rust right under the loading gate (opening) on the mag tube.
2. The front sight is loose, but easy fix.
3. The barrel has some rust right near the receiver, about the size of a pea.
4. The action is SLICK!
5. The paint is chipped/flaked all over.
6. The biggest issue is the rear sight. It appears that the point of the rear leaf appears to line up with the front sight, the center line and the grooves on the receiver, HOWEVER, the rear of the sight blade is offset to the right. If you look at the barrel from the top, the barrel runs north/south at 180/360 degree marks, but the sight runs at 360 in the front and about 175 degree mark at the rear. It is not quite parallel to the centerline of the other points, but only at the rear of the sight. It looks pretty funny when you shoulder the gun, but I think I can fix.
7. The wood is decent. Just some dents that I need to steam out. Nice piece of walnut.

I laid everything out to the shop manager and I told him I would take it for $150 OTD ($139+tax) and he agreed.

My son is going to love this when he gets older....I can't wait to get started.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I coon-fingered a Henry plain Jane youth model the other day. Fit me just about perfectly. The apparent craftsmanship, and solid feel exceeded my expectations....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have heard of that, even tried it once, but didnt get that result. that looks really good ! how did you do that ??
cable
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Well, I picked her up...couldn't let her go.
Henry H001 #1.jpg
Henry H001 #3.jpg
Henry H001 #4.jpg
Henry H001 #6.jpg
Henry H001 #8.jpg
Henry H001 #9.jpg
She is officially a project now...gonna strip her down, clean her up and then decide how she can be improved, with my limited skill sets of course.

I think the biggest issue I will have is getting the receiver, barrel, lever and mag tube stripped for bluing....I have no such tools for such a task.

If there is interest, I may do episode installments on here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

certainly i am interested !
cable
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Either a good candidate for a project, or keep as-is as a 'truck gun'.

I'd shoot it first to see if there's a reason that rear sight is boogered around.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Henry's are great little guns...I have the carbine model (16" bbl) and really like it...you made a good choice... :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

JohnB wrote:So, I went back to inspect the rifle and make the purchase.

I will post up pictures as soon as time permits, but here is what I know -

1. The mag tube is loose and has rust right under the loading gate (opening) on the mag tube.
2. The front sight is loose, but easy fix.
3. The barrel has some rust right near the receiver, about the size of a pea.
4. The action is SLICK!
5. The paint is chipped/flaked all over.
6. The biggest issue is the rear sight. It appears that the point of the rear leaf appears to line up with the front sight, the center line and the grooves on the receiver, HOWEVER, the rear of the sight blade is offset to the right. If you look at the barrel from the top, the barrel runs north/south at 180/360 degree marks, but the sight runs at 360 in the front and about 175 degree mark at the rear. It is not quite parallel to the centerline of the other points, but only at the rear of the sight. It looks pretty funny when you shoulder the gun, but I think I can fix.
7. The wood is decent. Just some dents that I need to steam out. Nice piece of walnut.

I laid everything out to the shop manager and I told him I would take it for $150 OTD ($139+tax) and he agreed.

My son is going to love this when he gets older....I can't wait to get started.
Call Henry, they might fix it for a very reasonable price. Just ASK!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'd be willing to bet Henry would return that rifle to like new condition real cheap if not for free.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Well, I heard back from Henry on my inquiry..

They offered to sell me a new receiver cover for $40 plus shipping, $7.50

I covered the barrel and mag tube with 3 in 1 oil this week and I went over it with 000 steel wool. All of the freckling and 3D rust came off. The two problem spots (mag tube and barrel base) will be soaked over the weekend and buffed again.

Then some Birchwood Casey Super Blue and it should be good to go.

FYI - A good Sharpie goes a long way on a black, painted cover....as does Ballistol to clean and polish the walnut.

Rifle looks awesome now ( I will take pics once I finish the buffing and bluing process) and I can wait to shoot it. I may actually break down and try to find an Ithaca Model 72 front sight (metal vs. plastic) and a brass ramp from Skinner...I think that may be the hot set up for these eyes....
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Re: WWYD - Looking for opinions UPDATED w PICS

Post by JohnB »

OK, so I took it apart, to clean it, re-blue it, polish the wood and remove the paint so I can re-paint the cover...this is a photo journal of how it went...some good, some not so much...

Where I started...

Re-blued the mag tube...better, but not exactly what I wanted...

Job complete!

Guess what I SHOULDN'T have tried....ugh....

BTW, Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 on wood....works pretty good...FYI

Now, to clean and paint the cover and add the HI VIZ front sight.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You will see every "little thang", but, trust us, it looks GREAT 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

For a beat up .22 that won't ever be a collector, looks good. Shoot the stuff out of it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

hfcable wrote:

i have heard of that, even tried it once, but didnt get that result. that looks really good ! how did you do that ??
The rifle pic'd is not my rifle, but I've done a few for others.

Strip & polish the receiver cover, after fileing/working out any scratches before applying cold blue.

Blue one side at a time by laying the cover flat & puddling the cold blue solution on the upper side; let it dry for a bit before blotting (not wiping) up the excess fluid.

If the dried side's appearance doesn't float your boat, just polish the cold blue off to a silver shine again, and try a different method of application/drying.
When one side's done to one's druthers, do the other side, then the top & rear tang.
If you want (eventually) a faded CCH, you're done - If you'd like the CCH colors to last, spray it with a clearcoat.

There's a plethora of examples & "how-to's" on receiver finishes (and sights), over in the Henry section of http://www.rimfirecentral.com

JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Re: WWYD - Looking for opinions UPDATED w more PICS

Post by JohnB »

Paint is complete...for now. Still not 100% on the outcome, but better than it was.

Threw the Bushnell on just for giggles....thing is broken but I wanted to see how it might feel if I added glass...
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Looks great from here. :wink:
Byron
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Send some pics to Henry (do everything by email, usually the President answers and takes care of you personally), show them your great work on this rifle, mention you don't like the plastic sights/bands and ask their advice. I would bet they will send you a set of metal bands/front sight free of charge. Just a hint. :D
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"