Winchester 1894 exact year from 43-47?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
srea76
Levergunner

Winchester 1894 exact year from 43-47?

Post by srea76 »

Hope you fine Gentlemen can help me here. I have a Winchester 1894 30/30 I am thinking about selling soon, but I am trying to get the details first. I used the oldguns.net website and it says the gun was made between 1943-1947, but is there a way I can narrow it down even more to an exact year? Serial is 13956xx Thanks for your help!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1894 exact year from 43-47?

Post by Borregos »

I can't help you, but welcome aboard, you will enjoy it here :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Glad you came here. You'll like it. As I said elsewhere, remove the forearm and mag tube and look at the barrel near the receiver for the 2-digit date code.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image, and Welcome to THE Forum from Texas.

There are no records that will definitely point to a "date of birth" for any particular Winchester mdl 94 beyond serial number 1,352,066. The Cody Museum can put a date the serial number was applied and for rifles preceding serial number 353,999 the date it was sent to the shipping department and the date the serial number was applied, (if I understand what they say on their website).

There have been discussions among collectors as to whether the "date of manufacture" would be the date the serial number was applied, or whether it is best reflected by the date the rifle was sent to the shipping department. Many feel that simple application of the serial number is just that, a step in the manufacturing process. And given the assembly process at Winchester, this is understandable. Receivers along with the various parts were placed in assembler's bins and assembled as they were pulled... not always in strict numerical order. This can be clearly seen in that in many cases, early serial numbers have features or parts that were introduced well after the numerical sequence would suggest. And vice versa.

As I recall reading, there was a fire in the records department and the vast majority of Winchester's records were destroyed. Most of the website's that refer to a year of manufacture are referring back to work/research done by George Madis, author of "The Winchester Book".

Good hunting.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

srea76 wrote:
Hope you fine Gentlemen can help me here. I have a Winchester 1894 30/30 I am thinking about selling soon, but I am trying to get the details first. I used the oldguns.net website and it says the gun was made between 1943-1947, but is there a way I can narrow it down even more to an exact year? Serial is 13956xx Thanks for your help!

Welcome to our little corner of the www !

Your Winchester was made just after the cessation of activities @ the end of WWII - in 1946 (most likely sometime that Summer).

According the the Winchester Polishing Room records, SN 1,352,066 is listed as the last Model 94 serial number recorded in 1945, on December 29th.

The last Model 94 made in 1946 was SN1,411,000 - thereby bracketing the SN of your Model 94.

FWIW, the Winchester Polishing Room was the last step prior to final assembly, and sending a rifle to the warehouse for eventual shipping - long after a receiver was chosen/picked from the parts bin for use.